Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Hedningen posted:

Stoner metal RPG about flying through space on dragons, navigating deadly Hashteroid fields to land your crew of Marijuanauts in the TH Sea. Maybe navigating the war-torn ruins of Funeralopolis, avoiding the minions of the Electric Wizard to find the sole druid able to bring forth the potent flowers again.

Sleep's Dopesmoker is basically a Dark Sun campaign. Dank Sun, if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's a series of Sherlock Holmes video games by a studio called Frogwares, and one of the first few games in the series had Holmes investigating Cthulhu mythos stuff. Their upcoming game is also straight up just a CoC game.

Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened

I played through it. It never goes full tilt into Mythos stuff, (I.e. you never encounter monsters) but it borrows heavily from the plot of Call of Cthulhu by sending you to New Orleans and the swamps to investigate a cult.

The most terrifying aspect of this game was Watson. He didn’t actually move during gameplay so he was programmed to perpetually respawn behind you in order to simulate following you around, but he wouldn’t respawn as long as he was in your field of view. You could walk backwards a great distance away with him in sight, then spin around and be face to face with him.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

JackMann posted:

Gonna be in San Antonio for a week-and-a-half on business, and I'll probably have a decent stretch of free time. I've got some touristy stuff planned, but any good nerd stores to visit?

I haven’t been in a few years, but the Dragon’s Lair is a decent gaming store.

Edit: And you can go eat at the Tip Top Cafe nearby.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 18, 2018

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What I really didn't understand was the notion from Ericcson that White Wolf ever put out "topical" or "ripped from the headlines" sorts of games. I mean, yes, they acknowledged some basic social problems and leaned heavily on the trends of freaks and geeks, but they never really centered around real-life issues. There was Werewolf's environmentalism, but it was taken to such a ridiculous and magical level that it was essentially divorced from the actual issues of such.

The phrase “but it’s the World of DARKNESS not the World of Sunshine/Rainbows/Puppies” gets thrown around a lot whenever these kinds of issues are brought up. What these people fail to realize is that the WoD setting isn’t “the real world, but lovely things happen”. It’s “the real world but shittier.”

It takes the shadows of the world and fills them with awful things. It takes our fears and puts a face to them. There IS a monster under your bed. If you go down that dark alley, you WILL be hurt. The Cops are 100% on the take, and not just “a few bad apples”. Role playing games DO make you worship Satan. Corporations are loving up the environment for profit AND because their Dark Lord told them to. Etc.

A pogrom of gay people isn’t made more horrible because “vampires did it.”

“Vampires did it” is far less scary than the idea that a class of people can be hated to the point of genocide. It’s a failure in horror writing as well as being a failure in sensitivity.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Dawgstar posted:

Sadly I'm quite familiar with Rage Across New York, which holds some of my favorite moments of peak 1E White Wolf pretentiousness and cringe.

Rage Across New York has some cringe, but it also has me yearning for the halcyon days when pedophiles were antagonists instead of sample PCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

LatwPIAT posted:

There's a passage in The Punisher: Valley Forge, Valley Forge where the conspiracy of eight generals has one member utter some immense racism, which goes uncommented upon by the other seven generals. The first time I read it, I felt that it was kind of eye-roll-worthy that the evil generals were also racists. Like, when someone's evil you don't have to have them engage in every moral depravity just to emphasize the point, y'know?

I no longer roll my eyes when rereading that issue.

This reminds me of that time during the KKK arc of The Preacher when one of the rank and file klansmen wonders if their leader might be going a little overboard with the racism. I forget the exact line but it was along the lines of "It's all he ever talks about."