Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
If you have your own Discord you can set it up so only admins can post reactions, make some unique emoji, and do it that way. Or make a google docs spreadsheet and keep that up to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Xiahou Dun posted:

When did Frank Trollman get an account?

Actually he got ninety discrete accounts.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

hyphz posted:

No. I tend to lose a lot of confidence at the old statement from the Ab3 rants - "think about the worst book ever published; it's better than the best thing you ever wrote.."

Wrong, because the best thing I ever wrote ended up being a published book that's far from the worst. Checkmate :smug:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

DalaranJ posted:

I’m currently reading “The Timeless Way of Building” in hopes that I will glean some sort of design knowledge from it.

I’m not that hopeful though because the author spent the first 50 pages describing the Japanese concept of “Wa” as “the quality which cannot be named”.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Move your mouse cursor off the image.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

LongDarkNight posted:

What's the Forgotten Realms equivalent of 9/11? I think my next character is going to be a Truther.

Well the entire Forgotten Realms is just one huge ongoing disaster, so...

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Covok posted:

I've been running Marvel Heroic Roleplaying by Margret Weiss for quite some time. After playing it for so long, the conflict system started to get really, really boring.

To liven things up, I decided to try and expand on the combat system and add some more dials and knobs and make it more tactical to add more to the experience.

I understand this would not be for everyone and a lot of people will dislike it.

If you like Marvel Heroic Roleplaying and have some time, can you give it a look and provide your thoughts.

You can find it here.

Link's messed up, I think you accidentally posted the rules for D&D instead.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

kingcom posted:

As someone who is basically trapped as a forever GM i've always been tempted to look through those LFG threads but goddamn do I hear nothing but horror stories out of it.

Extremely same. Also it's like, 90% D&D/Pathfinder games and the other 10% is Warhammer of some kind and the usual setting description might as well be "welcome to the land of eternal misery and suffering".

Nobody runs happy games :(

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Covok posted:

Tried. PBP 4e take too long and then people vanish from the game and then everything dies.

Nuns with Guns posted:

That's 95% of pbp games anyhow

Completely and utterly unrelated to this, my X-Men game has been running for 220 days now. It's no Blackbird Dreaming, but I think that might be at least a personal best :shobon:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I'll always love the story about how all those sleek uniforms were actually useless at pretty much everything you expect a uniform to be capable of doing. Troops dying of frostbite or being strangled by their own suspenders in the name of fashion.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah. I hear that the grenadier's uniforms had a complex system of hidden suspenders sewn into it in order to avoid ruining the look of the uniform. These built-in suspenders were a bit expensive and also never worked, so they eventually issued them normal suspenders as well.

They never worked because they basically fell apart if the wearer moved faster than walking pace, if I remember correctly. All the fancy internal belts wound up coming loose and getting tangled together.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

occamsnailfile posted:

Karate Kid also used a lot of training and a "secret special move" that won through power of sheer dorkiness.

He won by cheating, the rules said no kicks to the face.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Inverse World.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

The Deleter posted:

I'm not sure how people haven't figured out that the only response to a Bedlamdan post is to tell them to gently caress off.

Weird way to spell "put them on ignore or at least stop quoting them for all those of us who already have them on ignore" but you do you.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

The Deleter posted:

I mean if we actively pushed them out it'd mean less people would have to put them on ignore and remember to avoid quoting them, which seems like everyone wins really.

Please, elaborate on how saying "gently caress off" on an internet forum is deep magic that shall banish all such fiends back to the cold abyss from whence they came.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Pollyanna posted:

I'd actually like to know something myself:

- What's your longest-running campaign?
- What system was it in?
- Was it online or in-person?
- What year did it begin?
- How long did it run?

Exceptional X-Men, a Marvel Heroic PbP that started last year and is still ongoing.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Pretty sure I can beat all of you for embarrassing webcomic-related memories.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Bosushi! posted:

The most terrifying aspect of this game was Watson. He didn’t actually move during gameplay so he was programmed to perpetually respawn behind you in order to simulate following you around, but he wouldn’t respawn as long as he was in your field of view. You could walk backwards a great distance away with him in sight, then spin around and be face to face with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13YlEPwOfmk

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Isekai stuff that explores how the stringent rules of an RPG-based world can be broken, peasant railgun style, can be pretty good. A couple of ones I've read that aren't too bad have the reincarnated/transported person as sort of a supporting act for the actual main character(s), which is another way to make it interesting.

The ones that are just blatant wish fulfilment aren't interesting to read, much like most lovely fiction that mistakes power fantasy for actual plot.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

golden bubble posted:

There already is such an Isekai. Kono Sekai ga Game da to Ore dake ga Shitteiru is about how the video game-based reality is full of glitches and potential exploits, and the main character acts and talks like a person from a speedrunning marathon, like AGDQ. There's a chapter where he defeats a bunch of high level monsters at very low levels, because he knows their AI doesn't have any attacks that hit right below them. So he lies in the safespot and slowly pokes them to death.

Yeah there's more than one like that. There was one I saw called "Exterminator" where the guy is literally an exterminator from regular earth. Lays down poison traps in a dungeon and then levels up 10 times in his sleep as hundreds of dire rats take the bait. Last I saw it had gone into a bit of a weird tangent about the metaphysics of how dungeons work but the initial few chapters were kinda funny.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The worst isekai is that one where the main character is some all-powerful wizard who gets a whole harem of elf maidens and solves all the world's problems, and the author's literal self-insert is the wizard's best friend and they hang out together drinking lovely beer.

I think it's called Forgotten Realms.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah but it's so popular now. Like friends who never touched rpgs back in the day and even others who've tried everything and like a bunch of stuff even sing its praise.

Weird how people who've never played anything but 5e instinctively know it's the best game ever.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Yawgmoth posted:

What is this "reddit thing" you all are talking about?

They banned some dude from the roll20 subreddit because they thought he was another formerly banned user. He sent them a message asking why, they said "you're this guy", he said "no I'm not" and asked to be unbanned, and it basically spiralled from there into a complete shitshow.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Skelettin posted:

The better indie communities are free to register SA accounts :getin:

Well, not free exactly...

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Countblanc posted:

honestly one of the best hammy superhero games is reskinned d&d 4e

To take that one further, use Strike!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Let's just pre-empt all that by offering up this link to a TG discord.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Covok posted:

Fuego, you ever finish your Dragonball game?

It's been going through some revisions. I need to rework some of the playbook material and finish up the GM section improvements. While not exactly finished, it is at least playable for the time being. I've had a lot of promising feedback from playtesters that's been helping me move forward with it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
On a tangent, I don't think I've ever seen a discussion relating to Young Justice go on for this long without someone crawling out of the woodwork to rage about how it's the worst superhero cartoon ever created.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Dawgstar posted:

Having re-watched it recently, the only thing I feel like is a valid complaint off the top of my head is there's a whole lot of Greg Weisman indulging his "just as planned" fetish no matter what happens to the villains.

Yeah but let's face it, it makes those end-of-season moments where the kids gently caress up all their poo poo infinitely more satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

dwarf74 posted:

That episode is both entertaining and kinda frustrating due to how episodic TNG is.

If it had been, say, a Joss Whedon show, we would have had a minimum of half a season of Human Q hanging out with the crew, and that would have been kind of delightful.

If it had been a Joss Whedon show, Q would have been played by a teenage girl and been forced to go barefoot the entire time.