Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I urgently need the old thread unlocked, why wasn't I involved in the planning of this new one? Please do the needful and revert back to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Proteus Jones posted:

Most likely.

I know of a couple devices that do allow easy break out (as a matter of design) to the underlying OS the appliance runs on, but for the most part your Cisco/Juniper/Extreme switches won't generally be susceptible to Meltdown or Spectre without something worse being wrong.

This makes sense since it's really just a bunch of interrelated applications running on top of <open source OS>. Most IDS/IPS (and some firewalls) are likely similar.

The stuff I saw from PA today was an emergency content update with new vulnerability signatures for:

critical 40488 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0769
critical 40489 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0762
critical 40490 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0773
critical 40491 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0776
critical 40492 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0774
critical 40493 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0777
critical 40496 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0758
critical 40498 Microsoft Scripting Engine Memory Corruption Vulnerability CVE-2018-0775

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Does he do it from the same computer each time? Point a camera right at it.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

We're rolling out ServiceNow this year. Luckily they're not planning on trying to migrate the old ticketing system into it, just going with a fresh start. We've hired an admin for it and brought in some company to roll it out for us, so hopefully they're doing it right.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

A ticket came in:

Customer states that the firewall we manage has been breached and they have been hacked. Their timer board is showing "Glory to Ukraine, Death to USA".

Investigation reveals that they have the thing plugged straight into their modem and a public IP assigned to it. Further investigation reveals that no credentials are required to login and modify it.

After explaining this to the customer, the only reply we get is "thx".

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

No worries dude, it's all good. And man, the idea of sending the reply to their timer board is glorious.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

It should be mandatory for other people just not him

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Or maybe they're just loving with you?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

GreenNight posted:

Found out today that the IFS share on the AS400 is using SMB1. I found that out because SMB1 stopped working on Windows 10 without manually re-enabling it.

For good reason, in case you're not familiar. Look up wannacry.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Fireeye
Wildfire
Firepower

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

KillianLett posted:

Ignorant question: What's the story behind :yotj: ?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2385

Not sure about the actual smiley.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Hell, I have three. One at work, one at home, and one in my backpack for when I'm either working out of a conference room for long periods or traveling for work.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

wolrah posted:

It's really nice to have a "permanent" power supply that just lives at your desk, so I think it's perfectly reasonable for users who actually work at home to want another one to leave there.

Correct. I managed to snag a third one for traveling, but that was far less important than one I could leave at home.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Requires clicking on buttons, not just mouse activity. And the buttons move around.

I had osha training exactly like that. lovely as hell

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Wachter posted:

Does this happen in other lines of work? 'What do you mean, "load-bearing"? Don't use jargon with me. It's just bricks and mortar; just get it done!'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Gotta admit, I'm a little surprised how many people itt weren't aware of the things. They've been around for ages I think.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

We had a guy who was doing something, I think putting his jacket on his chair or something, and a gun fell out onto the floor. Luckily it didn't go off.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

AlexDeGruven posted:

Its utter garbage.

We're dumping slack for teams right now. People are... not happy

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

null_pointer posted:

I don't care what IM program we use anymore, I just want the entire company on it.

Seriously, the fragmenting of communication channels is killing me. We got MatterMost and Slack and Confluence and Teams and SfB and email and phone and some fuckhead wandering by my desk, all at the same time. Hopefully they'll kill SfB and move everyone to Teams, soon, because SfB is horrific.

Yeah, I will agree that Teams is a huge improvement over SfB.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Yeah, about a a quarter of our org was using slack and were recently forced to use teams exclusively. It has not been a fun transition

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

CollegeCop posted:

Day 1 of using Teams instead of Skype for Business

It's new.

It's different.

I hate it.

If you need me, I'll be outside yelling at clouds.

Uh, while I'm generally unhappy with teams after coming from slack, it is still an improvement over the hot garbage that is SfB.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Super Soaker Party! posted:

A new phone came in. And while I'm overjoyed at having something that doesn't take three seconds to launch an app, I have a decision to make. Should I continue to use the long-deprecated, no longer patched, and 2004-era-graphic-design Touchdown for work email, or should I join the 2010s?

My general problem is that I have a lot of folders (yeah I still do the folder/rules thing sorry if you're inbox zero but it just doesn't work for my brain), and the last time I tried it, Outlook Mobile STILL didn't sync subfolders on its own - you had to click on the folder to see if there were new messages in there. Whereas Touchdown, as ancient and decrepit as it is, would show me new messages from all folders without fail. (Also I spent $20 on it in like 2011 so I mean I gotta get my money's worth that's an expensive app!)

Are there any Exchange Android clients that will reliably sync folders? Or has Outlook Mobile been fixed so it will? What do you guys use for mobile mail?

I use Nine, it works great for me. You can be selective about which folders to sync or just do all of them.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Ataxerxes posted:

Well... It is doable, but not easy at all. Depends very much on the context. If you work somewhere where people speak Finnish all the time and have a Finnish family it will take at least years. If not, more. But quite literally almost everyone and their mother speaks English.

Not going to lie, my GF and I have talked a fair bit about moving to Finland or Norway. I have an infosec background and she's an accountant, so we're hopeful that would transfer well enough. Language is one of the bigger concerns. Certainly not averse to picking up the local language, just realistic about getting older and not learning languages as well anymore :(

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Also complain to HR that she's trying to spread covid to you.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Schadenboner posted:

My personal specialty is copying in a carriage return and auto-running whatever I'm pasting.

I totally haven't hosed things up by doing this, though!

I was only feeling mildly attacked until this

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Dunno-Lars posted:

I thought that MAC were unique? A part of it is the manufacturer and the rest can be compared to the serial number?

Each individual Ethernet interface on a Palo Alto firewall (of the same model at least) will have the same MAC address as other PAN fws. Eth1/1 on FW1 will have the same MAC address as eth1/1 on fw2. Usually not a problem, unless you’re connecting them over, say, a point to point link. You can fix it by putting them different HA groups, which slightly changes the MAC address.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

DelphiAegis posted:

If and when company can visit again I might genuinely look into this. On a scale of 1-10 how absurdly difficult is this to set up?

I work in IT adjacent fields so I'm not as computer touchery as you lot. :(

https://qifi.org/ or a million other results from google

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

dragonshardz posted:

...MTU? Where would I see what it's set to, and how would I validate that it is correct?

For GlobalProtect it's under your portal settings, in the agent configuration on the App tab. Defaults to 1400.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

ahem i'm surprised this hasn't been linked yet https://www.nohello.com/

e: what an amazing snipe

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Honestly though, I need to know what they're asking before I acknowledge them in case it's something I don't want to deal with and then I can just ignore them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Biowarfare posted:

zendesk is great

....does anyone use rt?

My company used RT forever until switching to service now a couple of years ago. I’m sure a lot of it was how we used it and had it provisioned, but good lord it was slow