Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bigass Moth posted:

Just save all your new threads as AAAAAAAAnewthread.txt so they go to the top.
You rang?

By the way, the thread is updating really slow. I had it open all weekend and when I came back in after the holiday break it was still only at one page. What gives?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

HardDiskD posted:

Have you tried locking it and unlocking it again.
Once I hit the reply button to ask, it updated! There are three pages! I wonder why mine wasnt updating when I was spending all that time looking at it...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Iron Rose posted:

I actually can't tell if you're joking or not here because this is a legitimate known issue that happens on SA :lol:
Bahaha I have never had that problem with SA, I was simply making fun of people that do not know how refreshing/F5'ing works. As in, saying I opened the new thread and there were x posts, but after that no new posts showed up (because I was not taking any action, I just expected them to show up).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

larchesdanrew posted:

they pay just what I'm making now but have insane requirements like "must have a master's degree in data architecture and 10+ years experience managing data in a university setting and also no substitutions."
I got a job in Support at a software engineering company with literally zero experience in a legitimate office environment based off of knowing Excel, problem solving skills, and 10 years of a great track record working in restaurants. 3 years later I walked into a QA position in development at the same company with literally zero development experience. You'll be fine.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TheParadigm posted:

How did you doing that/ present the restaurant experience as job relevant?

This is me, please teach me your ways.

How is it working out for you in the long run?
I played up all of the things that working at a restaurant (and a little bit of retail) taught me that would benefit me in a support situation. I had worked at one place for 5 years, going from just a server, to server lead, to essentially-manager (it was family owned and I never had a title, but they were paying me more and giving me better "benefits" (no tipout, free meals, Christmas bonus; no actual benefits)). I keyed on the "handling difficult people" aspect, which someone in support needs to do, as well as eventually updating out computer system menu, taking large catering orders then delivering and setting them up, observational skills such as hearing an empty glass hit the table or someone slurp with a straw - I would show up with a refill without the guest needing to ask and I related that to being able to listen to what someone on the phone is saying and being able to interpret what they actually need (the X Y Problem), I explained that I had to learn new things on the fly every day or week as we did specials and the menus changed, how I had regular customers who always would ask for my table, and so on.

When I went for the QA job I had become master of my domain in support - they had steadfastedly refused to promote me to Level 2 because I was on a team of 4 that already had two Level 2s despite the fact that I did more work than those level 2s added together. I taught myself AutoHotKey to essentially automate half of my job, I built bridges to other teams to fix endemic problems with how "silo'd" the company was (everything was getting thrown over the fence by everyone), and always found the root of problems rather than just fixing the caller's problems (because I knew our proprietary software so well). I knew a lot of people who vouched for me or spoke well of me because I had done so much to fix problems/resolve issues.

I could get more wordy but I dont want to poo poo up the thread too much.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dilzdrone.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

my cat is norris posted:

Wrong thread...?
"Hi, yes, IT? Yeah. I couldnt topdeck a Tarmagoif to save my life, what gives with this card shuffler you gave me?!?"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aunt Beth posted:

Roughly when did fun server names go from entertaining to nuisance? Is it a scale thing? Do small shops still do it because they can remember that Doc is DNS and Dopey is mail and Sneezy is files? I've been in midsize and large orgs for the past quite a while and we just use names that are useful in determining the server's location and role.
I'm at a company that is transitioning from still-small-feeling-but-medium-sized to large (despite having fewer people) and we are going from naming servers after xmen to simply "letters01" "letters 02" ect but I have no idea if it is the size or the new management.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dravs posted:

I was once asked to name a bunch of meeting room calendars in one of our sites after various Leicester City football players.
My office recently renamed meeting rooms after famous rock bands. Except for one, which was named after a famous female singer. Now we get to crack jokes about having a meeting "in Beyonce".

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ConfusedUs posted:

Our meeting rooms all have Star Wars names.

I usually just book whatever room is the appropriate size, but there's one exception. I always book Alderaan when I have to deliver bad news to a group.
This is fantastic.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arquinsiel posted:

Living in Ireland this is a thing I don't get. Like intellectually I know the problem, but when they're outside my front door the fuckers are terrified of literally everything and the whole flock will take off rather than fight me.
My office's facilities guy sent an email out to the company once about dealing with Geese and I sure wish I had saved it because it is lost to our retention policy. There was all sorts of instructions on how to deal with them, including stuff like "Maintain eye contact, no quick movements, dont get between them and their young, ect". About a week later I had a staredown with one on a little footbridge from our overflow parking lot one day when I got here late.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm interested.
drat theres another Av + Post wombo combo

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

vibur posted:

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

sir this is an Arby's drive through
Well, that explains the feces.
My god I love this thread.

Ghostlight posted:

it's always a pain when vague problems aren't solved by a reboot.
:aaaaa:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Weedle posted:

I am so thankful that Apple offers “wait in silence” as an option for being on hold. That should be an industry standard.
I dont know how it isnt. I wonder if we will ever see the day?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Well my desk is being moved. I am sadly losing my excellent window cube and being moved to an open space to share with 3 other people. No window, no walls.

They're gonna judge my shitposting....
This would mean its time to find a new job for me. That sounds awful.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I saw a screenshot of this in the Stellaris thread but never the vid. I dont have the attention span to watch the whole thing but I find the gimmick really funny.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ganon posted:

I was just looking at a job posting at a finance company and it mentioned a "trading turret" so I googled it hoping it was some kind of terminal with a gun, now I kind of want one

Needs more handsets.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Fool posted:

Even I don't have an inkjet.
:golfclap:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gee, thanks ATT, except my email address happens to start with a loving number you loving stupid rear end in a top hat. Get hosed.

edit:

Wowee I didnt realize we time travelled back to 2002, goddamn.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 20, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alighieri posted:

A clear sign someone is not handling external inputs into a database properly, burn it with fire.

It's probably storing password in cleartext.
Thankfully I got a survey and told them something along these lines and that they need to get their poo poo together as a massive conglomerate that has probably millions of peoples' data on file.

Yes I know no one actually reads surveys :eng99:

if I had any effort and a twitter I would try to roast them there

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arquinsiel posted:

Bang an email to Troy Hunt. He might take interest.
Who is that?

Johnny Aztec posted:

Like a conglomerate T-1000.
I got a good laugh out of this, thank you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hey IT folks, at what point can I start getting pissed at the IT people at my place of work? I work for a global company that has a huge IT staff. Three months ago I moved from Dev to Client Delivery, but I am still getting blasted with emails to Dev mailing lists. I've submitted three tickets that have all been closed as "complete" asking for my dev email groups to be removed and my new email groups added. Each time a ticket is closed, 15 minutes later I get an email that was sent to a Dev group. What do I need to do to get them to fix my poo poo?

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

but the rest of my team is a bunch of sensitive flowers who can't seem to handle the noise.
Some people have legit natural negative reactions/aversion to certain noises/certain types of noises that they cant help. I dunno the people you are referring to but I can understand if a person cant stand a certain noise because sometimes thats just how their brain works.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

LethalGeek posted:

Can you not respond back to those close notices going "NOPE"? If they don't give you the ability to do that then yeah badger them with a redirect until they get it
No when they close a ticket it gets locked so I cannot comment on it or re-open it without them getting involved.

Thanatosian posted:

Set up an Outlook rule that forwards all email sent to Dev groups to the IT ticketing email address.
I....I'm not sure about this...

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Thanatosian posted:

Set up an Outlook rule that forwards all email sent to Dev groups to the IT ticketing email address.
It's this. Do this.
O....okay. Maybe if my most recent attempt fails. Everything about this suggestion screams "I'll really piss someone off".

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Potato Salad posted:

Do you have access to tactical nuclear weapons?
God I wish.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

My last name is "Hill". I live in the US. I have lost count of how many times people born and raised in the US have hosed it up. Its four loving letters!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MrBling posted:

is your first name Hank? If no, why not?
I was blessed with a first name that starts with C, so I have the work email of "chill@$work.com". If I ever have a son his name may or may not end up being Hank...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Canuck-Errant posted:

Nah, name him Phillip. PHill.
This and William crossed my mind. BHill. Definitely avoiding something with an S. SHill.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PremiumSupport posted:

I'm a one-man shop so I know it wasn't me.
What do you mean "PremiumSupport" is a one-man shop?!? I pay a lot of good money for Premium Support....I demand a dedicated 'resource'!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm on pretty good terms with the IT people at my company and I campaigned for Discord to replace Hipchat, which I know was impossible. Teams is dreadful and I really wish we could necro Hipchat.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

We just switched to Teams from Hipchat (:rip:) and I am disliking it so far. Doing a screenshare is an awful and broken experience you dont actually share a screen, just a window; if that window has any pop-outs or you drag a, *gasp*, different window onto that screen, the other person cant see it. If you scroll up to something that was said even 3 minutes ago it has to load the data from a server in Antarctica. You cant interact with it via its icon in the taskbar other than to set your status.

suuma posted:

And then there's Teams which has a built-in meme generator.
:frogon:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Fool posted:

You can share entire screens. The behavior you are describing is correct if you only share a window, because, gasp, it only displays the content of the window you selected.
Right but, I didnt select a window, I selected a screen.

edit: The option is "Share Screen" and no where does it say anything about only sharing a window instead of the whole contents of a screen. I've never even heard of '"window" sharing' on any messaging app; I've only seen screen sharing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 8, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

nexxai posted:

It's for privacy purposes. So that when you're presenting to a group of people, your wife's email notification popping up saying that her period has started isn't shared with everyone else. You may not have seen it, but it's pretty common with desktop-sharing apps now. Even Chrome's cast feature does the same thing by default; it only casts the single tab unless you deliberately select "Share screen".

ConfusedUs posted:

"Window" sharing has been around for ages. It's a privacy thing.

whelp, learn something new every day. I've never been one to leave any app running that would show something like that when sharing a screen but I can understand how it became a thing. Kinda like how Skype has you muted on joining a meeting (which I really wish Webex would do).

The Fool posted:

Note that the two options on the left under Desktop say Screen #1 and Screen #2, and every other option is a window I have open. It also very clearly shows Desktop and Window at the top.

e: Despite me obviously being on the pro-teams team, I'm more than willing to admit that Teams has it's issues. But this is not one of them.
Thank you for the screenshot, I hadnt noticed that / noticed the difference because there is no clear divider between the two in the UI and because of the way I operate my windows are usually full screen so I didnt notice a difference in the preview. I feel like that UI could be a little bit more clear but yeah what I was posting about earlier was user error on my part.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I had a boss who would always present for our team meetings, but also always shared his entire screen, and had desktop notifications for all his chat clients.

Never a dull moment when you start seeing manager-and-above scuttlebutt on the bottom of the screen.
lol, yeah, I've gotten burned by in-office friends messaging me obscenities on company/work software when people were standing at my desk looking at my screen, so I am super careful about not letting any of that get out.

I'll never understand how management cant think of that kind of stuff and the implications....
I sit near the office of my company's CTO. He pretty much never closes his door. I have heard him talk about layoffs, reorgs, peoples' performance (never good things), all sorts of poo poo that I would have rather not heard. It just baffles me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hey do you guys know if we have a thread here where I could look for some advice on MIME XML-binary Optimized Packaging (XOP)? I have to help a client learn how to accept a message in that format and my company is surprisingly short on documentation about it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

shortspecialbus posted:

It at least is at the point where it remembers priority. My computer has 3 outputs connected - 1 HDMI to an AVR for when I play on the TV, one DP to the "normal" monitor, and one DP to a second monitor that's on my simracing rig. The simracing rig monitor has a USB sound card attached to it that is only available when that monitor is turned on. When neither the AVR nor the racing monitor are powered on, Windows will use the normal computer speakers. When the AVR is powered on, Windows will use the HDMI audio (and also disable the normal monitor). When the racing monitor is powered on, Windows will use the USB audio over there (and again disable the normal monitor) and it does that poo poo automatically now, which is nice. Occasionally driver updates jank that up but it's an easy fix.
Now if only Windows could remember the size/shape and where I like certain windows when I use my KVM switch to swap between my work laptop and my home desktop.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Data Graham posted:

I deal daily with internal sites in 2021 that are still IE-only.
I work for a global SAS provider and we had some billion dollar company customer that had (has?) some bizarre setup where their SSO had to go through IE6 and eventually we got to a point where our system wouldnt play nice with it and they had to stop using our software despite really liking using it because some stakeholder refused to allow their internal process to upgrade past IE6.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

My company uses Saleforce and I can confirm its bad. I make it better by using AHK scripts to do repetitive poo poo on it. I'm representing my team with our SF admin who is moving us to Salesforce LIGHTNING. Because Salesforce is forcing LIGHTNING on everyone, despite it being worse in every single way. They named it LIGHTNING despite the fact that it makes doing anything you did previously take EVEN LONGER.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RFC2324 posted:

Be glad you don't use confluence. We do and the search algorithm is so bad its almost impossible to find anything

I would kill for something easily search/browsable
My company is moving from Confluence to SharePoint and I think SharePoint might actually be worse.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've gotten to the point that I just dont deal with dumb responses to emails anymore.

SupplierPersonA: Hi Real Muenster, please talk to SupplierPersonB.

Me: Thank you SupplierPersonA, I will talk to SupplierPersonB! SupplierPersonB, are you available on any of these dates?

SupplierPersonA: Hi Real Muenster, you need to talk to SupplierPersonB about that!

SupplierPersonB: Hi Real Muenster, what times are you available?

Me: Hi SupplierPersonA, as you can see (screenshot with what I said highlighted) I was addressing SupplierPersonB. SupplierPersonB, I listed my times in my last email.

Not included in my email: "Jesus loving christ can you clowns read?"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

n0tqu1tesane posted:

My wife once freaked out because her tablet screen wouldn't come on. She was wearing polarized sunglasses and had the tablet turned exactly to the angle that matched the screen was blacked out.
This happened with my wife looking at my cell phone and it was hilarious. She thought I was loving with her when I told her that yes, in fact the screen is on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm overseeing the technology portion of a expansion for one of our clients. The foreman of the project has been a total fuckwad from beginning to end and no one likes him. He has thrown tantrum after tantrum and even told my, like, sweetest most innocent lamb tech to jump off a cliff for trying to mount an access point.

Anyways, I was onsite yesterday overseeing the installation of security cameras, printers, and a few digital signage displays and put my purse and computer bag down in the server room, per usual, and proceeded to do my thing.

This is a small closet, probably 8'x8', with a rack dead center of everything so there's about 2 or 3 feet of clearance at any point. Half of it is filled with boxes from desktops we just deployed a few days prior and a few boxes still had laptops, cameras, and APs we hadn't deployed yet. I was bent over getting my laptop out of my bag and turned around to realize I was nearly nose to nose with this chucklefuck.

:clint: Well mornin' there, sweetheart. What have they got you doin today?
:confused: Um... supervising some installations. What's up?
:clint: Well *gestures to everything in the room* looks like you got a bit of a mess in here and we need to get in here to paint.
:confused: We weren't aware this room was being painted. Does [owner] know?
:clint: Doesn't matter what he knows, I gotta get this room painted or my boss is gonna have my rear end.
:confused: Well, we can't really paint in a live network closet. I've got a meeting with my network team today so let me see what they think on the matter and maybe we can get something scheduled in the next couple of weeks.

At this point he has backed me into a corner and despite my being nearly a foot taller than him, he's still backed a woman into a corner and is speaking threateningly to her. Unacceptable.

:clint: Oh no no no no no no. You're gonna clean this up RIGHT. NOW. I got my guy walking in the door and he's gonna have this painted within the hour.
:confused: He absolutely is not. You aren't bringing a drop of paint into this room. I'm going to check with [owner] and you stay right here.

I ducked around him and went to find the owner. I checked with him and informed him his foreman was being an absolute dickhole and about to ruin about $25,000 worth of brand new core stack equipment by painting a room no one will ever see. He just chuckled and shrugged in a "boys will be boys" sort of way and told me to tell the foreman he said not to paint it.

:confused: With all due respect, I'm going to need some managerial interference here. He's not listening to me and we are absolutely not liable for a single cent of that equipment if he breaks it.
:v: Just tell him I said so, it'll be fine.

So I go to tell the guy.

I walk down to the server closet and there he is, standing in a pile of boxes outside of the closet. He has clearly tossed every one of them, including the ones with equipment still in them. I walked in just in time to see him literally throwing my bags and I lost my poo poo.

:mad: What in the absolute gently caress do you think you're doing??
:clint: What's it look like? I gotta get this painted.
:mad: The owner just reinforced that this is not to be painted. You are NOT to touch any of our equipment or boxes. You absolutely are not allowed to touch my personal property. Get the gently caress out of this room and leave. Now.
:clint: Now don't get your panties all twisted. I got a job to do.
:mad: You haven't done your job at any point in the last 3 months. You've sat on your fat rear end watching television and making bad decisions the whole time. Do NOT come anywhere near this closet or me again. Do NOT interact with any of my employees. Do NOT touch a single piece of technology in this building. If I find one scratch on any of this equipment, we're suing you for everything you're worth. Leave.

At this point I realized I had backed him into the corner. I was screaming so loud my neck was cramping. I was looking down at him and all the fight was gone from his eyes.

He huffed and retreated to the room he spends all his time watching television in. He spent all day angrily informing anyone who would listen that "you better check with HER before you do anything. She's running the show around here" and didn't do a lick of actual work the whole day, despite them being nearly two weeks behind schedule.

At the end of the day, he sheepishly returned and apologized for his behavior.

:clint: I'm sorry if I was brusque earlier. I'm behind schedule and my stress level is high.
:j: We all are. That's no excuse to act the way you do. Have a great day.

I left.

It probably wasn't my finest moment but he was a twat. The rest of my team was excited someone finally put him in his place, though, so :shrug:

Anyways, that's the only time I've ever gotten mad enough to yell. How's your week going?

*edit* woof, this is a hell of way to start a page :allears:
You ruining the dumb jerkoff made my day and I think your behavior was fine.

edit: I'm impressed he had the balls to apologize.