Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So apparently microsoft made a children's book or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Renegret posted:

*sighs deeply*

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

One of my co-workers manually sets himself away and goes down to Start-->Shut Down-->Lock every time he steps away from his desk. Even though I tell him that Win+L will do both of those things.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Jesus Christ.

Properly space your ads, web developers. It's even worse when you're trying to click on something near the top of the page and an ad springs into existence under your cursor.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Even better would be "DON'T send missile alert" so you uncheck it reflexively with the rest of them

Don't send missile alert is a child of Install the Ask Toolbar and you can't leave it checked without installing the toolbar.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Someone made a gallery of various hawaii missile alert memes

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

...Huh, go figure.

That just makes this even funnier, god drat.

If your system is so insecure that a screenshot of what is displayed to the end user renders you 100% Vulnerable then you have bigger problems.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/DHRadio/status/955417545783332864

Thinking of you, Tech Support thread.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

a British "Public School" is equivalent to an American "Private School", No I don't know why it's like that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

While you're replacing equipment make a wreath out of old ram chips and hang it above your desk. Refuse to answer any questions about it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

The best graffiti came in.

Last night, someone drew a photo-realistic Ronald Reagan on the whiteboard in the student lounge with the text, "Mr. [larchesdanrew], tear down this Smoothwall."

I want to get it framed.

Please tell me you have a picture.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm pretty sure you can set a GPO to ignore an SSID, but that wouldn't prevent people who aren't in your domain from seeing it (Such as visitors)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

https://clientsfromhell.net/post/170186662589/a-client-sent-me-one-excel-document-with-five
Saw this and thought of you, thread.

quote:

A client sent me one excel document with five sheets.

The spreadsheet had several attached word files. Yes, the files in their entirety were attached inside the sheets.

In sheet #1 there were four Word documents.

In sheet # 2 there were two more word documents.

Within each of these word documents, there were yet another two Word documents.

In sheet #3 there were four more word documents and another excel file.

And the excel file contained one single page that would’ve looked much better in Word.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Sheep posted:

Please don't give them any ideas. Let's not forget that Keurig tried to DRM little cups filled with ground coffee.

Don't forget the time Keurig tried to make a Keurig for Pop.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Username/post combo
You aren't the first person to make that observation, yes.

MisterOblivious posted:

I didn't realize they made a $350 machine that served $1 8oz servings.

$1 8oz servings that had giant, non-recyclable, plastic cups as waste.

They did a buy-back/refund campaign.

MisterOblivious posted:

Apparently they've just announced a merger with Dr Pepper Snapple Group to form Keurig Dr Pepper.

They were also in talks with Budweiser at one point.

Let that fuel your nightmares.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I blame CSI: Cyber.

I picked up the first season of CSI:Cyber super cheap and was watching it just to laugh at everything that was so hilariously wrong. My favorite was their visual depiction of tracking traffic through the deep web as if the deep web were a physical place below the internet, indicated by big scary red glowing letters that said DEEP WEB.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Season 2 gets hilariously terrible, because you can always see the exact moment in each episode they write themselves into a corner and contrive bullshit for a solution.

Didn't they also bring on Ted Danson as an out of touch old-person for their target audience to relate to?

E.G.: "Please explain to me what new-fangled technology you're misusing."

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 15, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I like Numb3rs but they're a lot better at their math then they are at anything involving computers.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hey if you guys need to convince your bosses to not use Apples in a work environment, Any program can take a screenshot of your entire desktop at any time and run it through an OCR

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Can you attach images to the ticket?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

That's a quality dog you have there.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I've been told they're designed with a stresspoint of failure and to be replaceable, but they don't sell replacements by themselves. You have to get them serviced.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 7, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Renegret posted:

:same:

Great news! Our new cell phone is 1/8th of an inch thinner! Okay, I don't actually care though. Please give me a removable battery again.

I like a phone that's thick enough that I can at least somewhat pin it between my shoulder and Ear without the touchscreen turning on and recognizing my cheek as an input device. What I don't like are phones that are longer than a checkbook and start poking out of my pocket when so much as jostled.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Those big black racks could use a good pounding.

We need to stress test the load bearing capabilities of these racks. Get the zipties.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Wibla posted:

:cripes:

This sounds super hosed up, got a source?

https://thehustle.co/european-clocks-serbian-power-grid/

Basically, there's a lot of ethnic Serbians who live in Northern Kosovo that refuse to pay their electricity bills and Kosovo stopped providing power to them for free in December, this slight dip in the amount of power provided to the entirety of europe caused clocks to lose 6 minutes in the last 3 months.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Oh poo poo. Stuff is about to get exciting.

Just had a talk with HR. At 3:45 they are firing someone who is 'known to get verbal and or physical'. I can think of a couple people out in the production floor that would fit the description, but they all go home at 3:00, so it has to be someone from the office.

So here's the floor layout:

They are going to bring the person into the conference room to sit down and talk. At that point they want me to go out to the front desk (the IT office is right by the front desk), get the lady that sits out there, and bring her into the IT office and close the door. Then I have to make sure the mystery person doesn't 'escape' or something and walks straight out the front door after they fire him.

:munch:

So are you going to tell the front desk person "Come with me if you want to live"?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Renegret posted:

what the gently caress

I also remember I posted an actual picture of the aftermath of someone doing this.

I should dig it up again but I'm too lazy.
This is probably the one you're thinking of

But I found some others too.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

I was fixing a PC at my first real job, a local MSP. I needed to download the WD EZDRIVE tool to get this hard drive to format (8GB or something massive at the time) and I told my boss 'It'll be a half hour or so, I need to download this thing..."

Boss: "We have a T1 line it won't take that long"
Me: "o rly"
Boss: "See? Click"
Me: :asoiaf:

When i was in college our school was hooked up to the government trunk line. So when I kicked off the World of Warcraft beta (like, the beta beta, 48GB in 2004) thinking it would take the better part of the weekend, it was finished by the time I got back from the cafeteria.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I use YYYYMMDD in my comments if it's absolutely necessary that I get across exactly when I did a thing without any confusion. Otherwise I use MMDDYYYY.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yes our software needs 102GB of ram and 20 cores.

Why are you laughing?
Stop laughing!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Anyone have a best guess as to what happened here?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Minnesota has Fertile, Climax, and Moorhead all within a hundred miles.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm still using my old workhorse of a WRT45G, but do modern routers let you access the dashboard from a wireless connection? That seems like a fairly large security hole.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Also also jesus how the gently caress are you still using a WRT?

Proteus Jones posted:

It’s like spotting someone using a Model T as their daily driver. Not because it’s a vintage car or anything, but because why would they need to drive anything more modern.
I bought it when I bought my apartment, and it's more "If it ain't broke don't fix it" but yeah.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

I’m sure it works fine with your DSL.

Gotta love small town internet. :911: We lose service whenever there's a heavy storm.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Thom and the Heads posted:

good. that's incentive for you to unplug all of the electronics in your house

I'm not talking thunderstorms, just heavy rain and/or snow and wind.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

We had apple ]['s at school, but our first home computer was a hand-me-down Tandy from my uncle. The monitor had a whopping four colors and the whole setup was older than I was.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Rorac posted:

:stare:

But that...

Why would that matter? HOW would that matter?

I think it's because of wire crosstalk and/or the fact that the color pairs have a different number of turns per meter along the length of the cable, so the electrical data would get out of sync depending.

But I've seen it before too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

spankmeister posted:

There's no way for this to happen if you keep the colors the same at both ends and keep the pairs paired.

E: as far as OP's problem goes, my guess is that the cables were crimped incorrectly to begin with.

Don't crimp your own cables, it's just not worth it. Just get a bunch of pre made ones in different lengths.

I'm guessing they either didn't keep the pairs paired or missed a wire while crimping.