Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
How do I use this new thread? Why do you people have to change things all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm the dollar signs in his eyes

I'm Ronald Reugain.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
A non-bootable PC came in:

*Hello, it's me, the hard drive, I am totally working: BzBzBzBz*

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ugato posted:

It surprises me how that speech somehow becomes more true the older I get.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I just had an issue of incorrectly transferred FSMO roles- PDC emulator and domain naming master were accidentally left on a decommissioned DC. Which is strange, because, while I have the vague recollection of transferring them, my coworker is 100% sure I transferred them correctly. Well, not a big deal, I seized them, everything is fine.
The funny thing is, I was troubleshooting AAD password sync issue (which I now know the root cause for), and then was explaining to him how to use various tools to troubleshoot dirsync issues. At that moment he asks me something about proxyAddresses attribute, and I go to start active directory users and computers, but I misclicked and started Active Directory Domains and Trusts, and it threw out error that PDC emulator is unreachable :v:.

Thank you, fat finger misclick.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Geemer posted:

:lol: Office365 is down for large parts of the world. My work's ground to a halt. Good luck to any IT person that has to deal with it.

Thankfully, today is a holiday where I am, so I can not care about that issue.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

Run a script on the computer that writes the timestamp to C:\Somewhere\filename.txt, then check that.

Way better than checking some file that *probably* updates every day.

This. I would just create a scheduled task which runs a script that writes to a file daily.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ahdinko posted:

Classic....

Please tell me it was protected from accidental deletion.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

duz posted:

And set up one called Dantooine but it's actually a long abandoned storeroom.

And a large one called Katarr, murder everyone in it.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me of a former coworker thanks to whom we found out that our ticketing system has one hour idle session timeout.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

:perfect:

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Agrikk posted:

My guess: Secondary DC did not grab FSMO roles and is not able to successfully update components of active directory which is bolluxing up things like GPOs.

Another vote for thread title.

Could also be that the secondary DC is not global catalog for some reason.

Ask me why this is the first thing that comes to my mind.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

quarantine self service.

This just reminded me of my friend complaining a couple of days ago how the IT in her company implemented such a thing, except that anyone can release anything.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Just put a bit bucket under it.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

i've remapped capslock to also act as lctrl an aeon ago, never looked back. capslock is such a worthless loving key hogging some prime keyboard realestate jesus christ

Same, i find it much more comfortable. I also remapped left ctrl to F13, which, in combination with autohotkey, practically gives me another modifier key.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

Windows 10 is arguably NT 6.4 but the marketing team got ahold of the version string so it's officially NT 10.0.

Related to this, I remember that when Windows 10 (and server 2016) came out, it broke some WMI filters, because of it's major version number. Apparently, if you have a query like Win32_OperatingSystem WHERE Version >= '6', it ignores Windows 10 / Server 2016, because apparently 10 < 6*.

Major version being 10 also broke nexxai's CryptoBlocker script, but due to a different reason :v:

*Yes, I know the version value is a string and therefore 1 < 6.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

nexxai posted:

I know technically, it's in my repo, but I've been trying to get the company that bought my company (and with that, the script) to take ownership of the repo, but they have been.... less than assertive about the process.

They manage the list of extensions, but I don't work there nor do I even have a technical job anymore, so it's not like I can spend oodles of time maintaining the script. :( I don't want to straight up delete the repo since people still download it, but it's definitely getting a bit long in the tooth and it seems like better options have sprung up since.

It still works perfectly, and has saved a bunch of asses numerous times. While the fix I proposed to you is quick and dirty, it should keep it running for the foreseeable future, unless Microsoft changes version number to something stupid or reworks the FSRM.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Could we maybe have these with cheaper batteries that occasionally explode?

I'd be okay with that as a money-saver.

Since Axin is probably the biggest manufacturer of bodycams and taser, they should combine them into one product.

No, not the taser that takes a photo when it's fired, we already have that.

A bodycam that tases the users if he tries turning it off or tampering with it.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

I have a sudden hankering for that story about the end of the world and the sysops being obsessed with uptime, anyone happen to have it?

Are you thinking of this one?
https://craphound.com/overclocked/Cory_Doctorow_-_Overclocked_-_When_Sysadmins_Ruled_the_Earth.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

Had a coworker in a previous job that used two periods.. Almost exclusively.. I could never figure out what that was about..

I also had a coworker at the previous job doing that. Eventually I finally asked why is he ending his sentences with .. and he said "Why not?"

I decided not to discuss it further.