Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

D. Ebdrup posted:

s/ur/r/g on a proper system :colbert:

Why waste your entropy on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Moo the cow posted:

Isn't there a theory that the longer your job title is, the less use you are to the company?

At one point I considered changing my e-mail signature from "Systems Engineering - Linux" with all the other stuff to something parodying titles from fantasy novels like "Lord of the Seven Servers, Defender of the Firewall of Palo Alto, Bearer of the Sudo Privileges of the Thousand Commands" but I decided it actually wasn't funny at all and so I didn't.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

stevewm posted:

Someone is going to pay damnit.

Indeed. It'll be retail worker hours getting cut and maybe raises getting denied.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Renegret posted:

Haha you think retail workers get raises.

At my only retail gig I lasted more than a year, my yearly raise was a dime. I laughed in my bosses face.

My point was that 99% of the time when this sort of thing happens, it's the retail workers that get hosed. And I didn't say they'd be good raises, the "dime" would qualify (and matches a grocery store raise I got back in 1997, ironically)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Renegret posted:

My intro professor got arrested for hoarding dozens in cats in squalor that required a HAZMAT team to enter his house to get the cats out.

As far as I know, he still works there.

My college TA for a programming class in 99-00 got arrested by the FBI a couple years later and became infamous for the CAPITAL LETTERS defense.

He was a decent dude who let me skip everything because I clearly already knew what I was doing, but he forgot to tell the professor so I got docked half a letter grade by the professor for skipping class all the time despite there not being an attendance policy in the syllabus.

Fuckers.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

sfwarlock posted:

Sovereign citizen?

Not sure if he was, but I wouldn't rule it out. I think it was more just a weird desperation. He tried the "I only capitalize the first letter of my name, not all of them" defense as well as trying the "the plaintiffs didn't bring the accuser, the United States of America, to court" gambit.

They did not work. He pled out eventually.

I looked him up and apparently he died a few years back from health issues.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I somehow can't think of any serious outages I've caused, although I'm sure there have been some, but I know I lost 32TB of security logs (that weren't backed up) due to a puppet module that made a bad assumption about home directories always being unique.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Dravs posted:

Wow, some of these stories are triggering uncomfortable memories and remind me why I got out of production infrastructure and moved into DevOps.

This doesn't absolve you of risk - my story earlier was puppet code that made a bad assumption about home directories being unique that resulted in significant irreplaceable data loss.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Link this psyduck

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Comedy Option: we let people pick their own usernames and they're stuck with it.

"Welcome to the company ButtMonkey69!"

Back 15-20 years ago, we used to let grad students pick their own login/email name. We'd give a spiel about how it was the e-mail they'd use to contact their professors and future employment prospects, as well as show up on all their handins and the like. Basically everyone picked something reasonable, most just copied their standard university login.

This one dude picked something like wh00ps99. We clarified that he wasn't trying to give us his password, which would have been odd since he was in the room with us, but no, that's what he wanted. He was absolutely sure. Yes, definitely.

We gave it to him since it didn't violate any policy.

About 2 months later, he was back asking to change it to something less idiotic.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

We've been actively reducing our Nagios alerts over the last few years, with efforts significantly ramped up over the last couple months. In some cases, we're replacing largely useless checks (swap usage, for example, which by itself is meaningless most of the time) with better ones (heavy active swapping/thrashing, in that case), adding logfile check exclusions, and creating a new check that e-mails the application administrators for certain logfile errors without creating an alert. Stuff like that.

In the last 2 months, we reduced our number of tickets generated by alerts by something like 80 percent and we've still got a bunch of stuff in the pipeline.

My goal is for any alert that generates a ticket or NOC call to require some sort of action. We're decent at the latter now, but the former still has a way to go.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Methanar posted:

I literally made an alert that includes in its message body 'No action is required' 2 weeks ago because my boss wanted one :)

We effectively have those as well in certain situations by virtue of utilizing an existing nagios check to notify when a thing happens that we want to know about rather than creating something else that would do it. I don't count something like that exactly where it's just leveraging an existing system rather than creating something new. Used sparingly that's not a huge deal.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Data Graham posted:

My favorite class of error is the kind that suggests they're passing cleartext passwords around on the backend

like one complexity dialog that said something like "forbidden characters: ', ), ;"

uuuhhhhh buddy are you doing a raw SQL insert of this password

That's not all that uncommon and can easily be accomplished without the password being stored in plain text. Basically think of it like "the hashing function used will fail if it has any of those particular characters in it, either by design or because the hashing algorithm required for whatever device is poo poo." There's plenty of pieces of software that can't handle certain characters in passwords for various reasons that don't necessarily involve plain text password being stored anywhere.

I'm not saying it's great design or that this absolves all of them or anything, but it's hardly uncommon either.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

I did IT support for a medical college for a couple of years, that's child's play. Call us when being unable to access Facebook is impacting patient care. :v:

A significant number of people I know seem to have their medical training from facebook, so that's hardly surprising.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

There is always, of course, the More Magic Switch

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Hell is being forced eternally to watch someone else do sysadmin stuff who doesn't know Unix terminal shortcuts like ^A or ^E or ^U, or does not understand about history scrollback.

set -o vi

Then I don't have to learn them because I already know all the vim stuff. Although I do ^U a bunch, I suppose, because it works in a lot of other places. Otherwise I'm constantly in a tmux so I use those bindings a lot for stuff as well.

I still cmd-c cmd-v a lot since you can get away with that in Mac Terminal, and I'm always on a MBP now that I'm permanent work from home.

As far as other stupid useful shortcuts nobody knows about, !! and !$ get a ton of use from me. Last Command and Last Argument respectively in bash/zsh et al. Super useful.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

It is shocking how many people who use vim on a daily basis don't know a single vim thing other than "Escape, i" and "Escape, :wq" and minor variations thereof.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

If you're not a *nix admin of some sort, there aren't all that many compelling reasons to use vim unless you just like it for any number of reasons. I don't think I'd recommend that most people install gvim on their Windows machine, for example.

But if you're a *nix admin, you should probably have some idea how to use it competently, or at least know emacs. I don't mean people who occasionally touch a linux server to HUP apache or whatever, but if your actual job title is some sort of linux sysadmin, you really should learn it because you're probably spending a lot of time in it and you should have a level of competence so that you can do things way faster, be it terminal, vim/emacs, or whatever.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

If only I worked in an environment conducive to doing such things.

Vim is still perfectly good for editing puppet code or ansible playbooks or whatever, I use it for that all the time.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Methanar posted:

I don't know how to work without vim

Seriously. I have enough modules and plugins for vim that editing stuff for puppet or yaml is a hundred times easier and faster for me in vim than it would be in basically anything else. I spent some time learning a lot of the vim shortcuts and macros and the like and it's monumentally powerful as a result. It's obviously not for everyone for everything, but I lose a lot of productivity if I have to use some other editor, and if I'm in google docs or microsoft word or something for some reason I'm constantly hitting escape and trying to do various things just out of muscle memory.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Weedle posted:

they're like the extremely old/rugged country dwellers who grew up using an outhouse so the modern toilet is too alien to be comforting

Get the gently caress off my lawn

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

vi is so ingrained in my muscle memory I can't use anything else in a cli environment.

But I've also been using/managing *nix for more than 20 years.

Yeah, this is pretty much it for me. I've been a linux admin (with a smattering of Solaris and AIX) since 1997 basically.

Again, get off my lawn.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

angry armadillo posted:

the bit where I am weak is definitely thinking of behaviour questions and letting him provided motivations. Interestingly, I've tried that approach as a kinda ToughGuyManager and been like 'when X happens, I'd expect to see you try Y' and he has been like ah well but i like to talk through how I think and then I am opening the door for him to introduce the motivation points which are a distraction from address the issue.

Interestingly, I think they might not be a distraction from addressing the issue so much as the key to addressing the issue. If they share their thought process with you, it gives you a way to coach their thought process and explain why they should change it. I understand your point that it's distracting from the issue, but it could turn out to be the path to resolving it, or at least present new ideas.

You may have already done that, I dunno, and the employee may just feel the need to constantly defend themselves and not actually listen to coaching, I dunno, but that's a different problem too.

edit: wording

ssb fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 1, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Worst I had when I did that back in the late 90's was a combination of cigarette remains, cat hair/dust, and a loving earwig nest, complete with eggs, tunneled into the gunky mess. It was a 286 that some enormously fat old lady brought in that they'd had for a long time but hadn't turned on in years and then it wouldn't turn on.

It was loving vile and I hope nobody else has ever seen anything of the like.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Entropic posted:

TIL if you accidentally dial 1-888 instead of 1-866 for one of our contractors’ technician check-in lines, you get a phone sex line instead.

"Sorry boss, I thought it was just a really convoluted phone tree"

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I like Fahrenheit because 0 is pretty cold and 100 is pretty hot and it's not hard to remember 32 degrees is freezing. For daily life, it is a good scale. It's poo poo for science, of course, but for actual life conditions it's good.

Aside from that, going metric would be cool.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Data Graham posted:

A scale based on 12 so you can divide it up easily is p cool tho

Wish we all had six fingers, would have saved us so much poo poo

Why stop there? Base 16 would have been even better.

Although there go your easy thirds though.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

No, that's a normal day.

Our VPN just poo poo the bed company wide, and it looks like it's a bigger issue, but it's hard to tell.

Are you on the team that manages the VPN

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I'm not inherently against having someone else review procedures. I've found plenty of procedures that were supposedly as efficient as they could be that could actually be reduced down to running a single shell script or outright omit a huge portion of the document because it either was redundant or addressed something that hadn't existed for years.

However - I don't just blindly change procedures, I either talk to whoever wrote the procedure (or at least knows anything about it if that person left years ago) before starting and/or when complete.

There are some procedures that anyone involved with writing left years ago but they're just stuff about "how linux works" that's changed and nothing that isn't inherently obvious.

So far I haven't broken anything and I've been doing it for a decade. Reviewing and streamlining poo poo is critical.

The actual problem here is their complete dismissal of everything that sfwarlock is telling them without even any specifics of why he's mistaken on something that could either be "oh yeah i guess that would work" or "no that won't work because XYZ" discussion. It's just some sort of hosed up concept that EVERYTHING can and should be streamlined and shortened. That's horeseshit. Review everything periodically - yes. Shorten everything - no, especially when given a laundry list of reasons why it can't be.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I am so happy I don't do any form of user support anymore.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Graph api was down too. None of my O365 python scripts were working, all timing out with a 504. Seemed to start working again right about 2pm CDT.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I will always recommend a small business class color laser printer over an inkjet for anything except stuff that inkjets are needed for, like printing on shirts or whateverthefuck.

It is always less hassle and lower cost of ownership across the life of the laser printer, which will be "effectively forever" if you don't do something stupid with it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Motronic posted:

I bet you could find an HP LaserJet EX for almost nothing on eBay.

Even if not, you can get a really solid and reliable Brother for something like $280 at amazon and you could go notably cheaper than that if you wanted and searched for more than the top result. My HL-4150CDN is only having trouble because we stupidly forgot to remove the toner from it when moving it a couple hundred miles in the moving van and the toner is a big mess now.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Moo the cow posted:

While I completely agree with you, the cheapest colour laser printer I can find is x3 the price of an inkjet (and apparently has a running cost x4 per page higher than an inkjet) and it weighes literally 20lbs more.

( HP MFP 178nw All-in-One Wireless Laser Colour Printer )

I don't mind something the size of a minicomputer if it's tucked away in an office - but not something to sit on a table in the front room.

That doesn't account for inkjet cartridges constantly drying out if you're not constantly printing poo poo with them, and it doesn't account for the cheap printer that was only-$40-because-they-make-their-money-on-overpriced-ink is probably going to need to be replaced 3-4x in the lifetime of the laser printer.

The size argument is reasonable for a lot of people I'll grant, but if you're buying a printer based on a tiny size, you're probably going to have to deal with a lot of problems that exist because of compromises used for said printer to be very wee.

Mostly I just loving hate printers and I'm glad I never have to touch them again at work and I'm willing to pay money to never have to think about a printer again at home because it always just does what its told and needs new toner once every 5 years.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Dude I don't know how to tell you this but slavery became illegal like 150 years ago. Jesus Christ.

took me a second

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I once sent my wife an e-mail from pope@vatican.va asking for nudes to prove a point that the sender e-mail address should not be trusted to be the actual source without digital signing.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Looking at their SPF record that should have been caught trivially, assuming they haven't changed it recently.

It got delivered to her gmail account without being marked as spam or anything, and while my wife has a doctorate and a masters, "checking full e-mail headers and trying to understand them" is not a thing she is going to do.

She does come to me if she has questions about a weird e-mail, I was just making a point that you effectively cannot and should not trust e-mail is from who it claims to be as a normal person who uses gmail.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Speaking of spam. The VP of engineering sent out "good job" Amazon gift cards to all his employees via email and half forwarded them to me asking if they are spam. They were all legit but wtf tell your people this is coming.

Half your staff forwarding them and asking about it is a shockingly high percentage. Whatever you're doing for training is working well.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

this morning i spent 35 minutes in the bathroom bawling my eyes out because i cannot continue to take the abuse of entitled users who are upset because I can't immediately fix their (massive) problem (that they've known about for weeks but only just created a ticket)

Ugh sorry to hear that. I know that all too well. I know it doesn't really help, but they're not mad at you the person, they're mad at the situation and just happen to be pointed at you the technologist. Which of course does not remotely excuse any of it, but it isn't your fault.

Hang in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Geemer posted:

I requested a new keyboard for one of our lab computers because I hosed up and poured cement into the old one.
They sent over their intern to pick out the cement until it worked again. He did a surprisingly good job of it, but I'm still going to buy a new one and expense it.

Do you think it was some sort of IT hazing ritual?

One of my first tech jobs was at a local ISP/retail store in the mid-late 90's. I did some dial-up support, some retail sales, and some coding. We were in a build that was an old doctor's office, complete with a creepy basement full of old medical records and outdated/forgotten medical equipment. One of my first tasks was to go up with the manager onto the roof during a torrential downpour and use a snow shovel to try to get gallons and gallons of water off of the roof because it was leaking. The manager gave me a bunch of bonus pay for it, but the owner found it and removed the bonus pay because it wasn't agreed to ahead of time and he was a prick. I was 17 and probably shouldn't have been up there in the first place.

This kind of reminded me of that but I'm not sure why, maybe I guess it felt somewhat like hazing at the time, but it really was just trying to keep the lovely roof from collapsing.