Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

blackswordca posted:

I dont think so. I was onsite swapping out the DB9->Ethernet adapters the use on site

Proteus Jones posted:

People still use those? They still make ethernet cards that use them? You have computers that need ethernet cards?

E: Just to be clear. You're referring to this?

I'll be that guy and point out that these have nothing to do with ethernet. They're properly called DB9<>8P8C adapters and though technically incorrect DB9<>RJ45 is also acceptable since everyone calls 8P8C RJ45 and we all know what it means. It's still RS-232 signaling the whole way through. Ethernet just also happens to commonly use 8P8C connectors.

This is a RS232<>Ethernet adapter: https://www.startech.com/Networking-IO/Serial-over-IP/1-port-RS232-serial-over-ip-adapter~NETRS2321P

If you need one and get the other you're going to have a bad time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Truga posted:

bookmarks.html has been a thing well into the firefox lifecycle. maybe still is, i haven't used bookmarks in years
Firefox 3 was when they switched to SQLite for bookmarks and a bunch of other things, but many browsers still support both importing and exporting classic bookmarks.html format.

minusX posted:

My adblock seems to be working for facebook now but it's delayed. I'm getting ads I want to see and then by the time I move the mouse for more info it disappears forever.
I've been seeing this for a few weeks as well, and similarly it seems to be doing it mostly to ads I'm actually interested in while the ads I do see I usually don't care about.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't get a Bluetooth earpiece, get one that wires from your phone to a base station and then uses DECT to talk to the headset. I have a Savi W710 and it's really good, and was nowhere near that price.

Echoing this. Bluetooth works fine if you're at your desk and just want to not have wires, but DECT is what you want if you want to roam while on the phone. None of my customers that have tried it have ended up happy with Bluetooth, they always switch to something like a Jabra Pro 900. I've tested their 300 foot range claim and line-of-sight it works fine, in a building it's more like 150 feet but that's with crystal clear audio the whole time. Bluetooth I've never had a good experience with beyond 20 feet or so.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Iron Rose posted:

It's not an unreasonable request. What if vendors or clients see that? Not a good look.

It is an unreasonable request though. It's someone outside of the company's control doing something that's completely legal and within their power. There's nothing for anyone at the company to do about it except trying to find the person and politely ask them to change it. If it was a banner hanging in their window no one would consider it reasonable to ask maintenance to prevent it from being seen, how is asking IT to stop an external WiFi signal from appearing any different?

That said I'd half expect the kind of person who'd set their SSID to "sendnudes" to be the kind of person to change it to something like "$company toilet camera" if that happened.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I've done that once with a site that had a full UniFi wireless and camera setup but wouldn't spend the extra few hundred bucks on the Ubiquiti switch that did their 24v passive nonsense.

I'm so glad they finally pulled their heads out of their asses and started supporting 802.3af/at like every other reasonable vendor.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jaded Burnout posted:

This is still a point of confusion for me, their docs are inconsistent about which models of their cameras do and don't support active PoE with or without inline or AC adapters. Their datasheets disagree with their own knowledgebase entry.
The cameras are still a bit of a mess. All current production models support standard PoE but there are still a lot of older models in the distribution chain, some of which have the same model number. They had the same issue when the af capable versions of the ACLite and ACLR access points came out, and with those a few slipped out early and they tried to act like they weren't changing anything for a while because they wanted to clear out stock of the 24v models. At least with the APs the .af models had a sticker on the box saying so clearly, not sure about the cameras.

Farking Bastage posted:

We have a crazy who lives near the airport who has put in some doozies over the years. First he claimed that the air traffic controllers in the tower were spying on him with binoculars. His latest is when the nearby solar farm went online, it put a buzz in his phone line and wants them shut down immediately.
That's not actually implausible, phone lines are pretty good at picking up stray electromagnetic energy and a solar farm presumably has big inverters that could probably leak some serious energy at 60Hz if something's not right. If his line passes near it I can believe it.

That said, obviously that should be something he should be reporting to the telco and letting them handle with the solar company, not going to the city. One would assume it'd be impacting other phone customers in his area too.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

We're 802.3 as gently caress
Perfect.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

Ubiquiti cameras are weird because there's about 3 of them and they don't work with anything that isn't Ubiquiti's own software. I don't know why you'd buy them over any of the Onvif-supporting vendors that compete in the same price bracket.

The cameras support standard RTSP these days so you're not just tied to their software anymore, but I agree I haven't really been impressed by them overall. Their NVR appliance is literally a random shitbox PC that they slapped a lightly customized Debian install on. I have three customers using the cameras and we just run the official software in a VM on a NAS.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
For those who may care here's some info on how Android handles dual-SIM in AOSP, though most dual-SIM phones have further OEM customizations on top of that.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-adding-dual-sim-features-dialer-app/

If you've ever used Google Voice in "prompt me" mode it's pretty similar.

I wish dual SIM phones were more of a thing in the US, but since we can't even get the phone vendors to give us a microSD slot half the time another SIM slot which would presumably be disabled on most of the carrier-branded versions is definitely not going to happen any time soon.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dick Trauma posted:

He said that the YouTube people sounded very confident and that if I didn't move the WAP he would go to my boss. So I moved it into the next office and that was enough for him.
You are much more mature than I about that. If I encountered one of these idiots I'd be scrambling to find an AP with the most and largest antennas I could get to put as close as possible to their desk.

"Sorry, our coverage survey says we need some extra capacity right here"

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fishmech posted:

There's really nothing wrong with having 98 exposed to the internet these days - almost no malware runs on it anymore. :v:
Kinda makes me wonder why the cryptolocker types haven't seized on this, because it's probably a safe assumption that any ancient machines still in use today contain years and years worth of data and/or software that isn't properly backed up.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

A study in X Y problems came in:

Lady accidentally unplugged Ethernet cable from computer. It connected to the public WiFi. Because it's on public WiFi, she can't print anything.

Lady is requesting internal WiFi key so she can print.

It never crossed her mind to solve the problem by figuring out how to plug the computer back in.

I've started ripping the WiFi cards out of desktop PCs I set up for customers that have them because this always happens. Somehow the wired network gets disconnected, the user knows how to connect to WiFi, and the obvious happens from there leading to inevitable problems some time down the road.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Proteus Jones posted:

E: That was too harsh of me. But that was still a lovely thing to do, dude.
Eh, on the one hand I know sort of how you feel because I had only watched a few episodes and have been meaning to get around to finishing at least the first season so that spoiled it for me too.

On the other hand I think in general claims of "spoilers" lose a lot of their merit after a few weeks to maybe a few months. The first season has been out on discs for over two years at this point, it's unreasonable to expect people will just not talk about it forever.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I have the simpler style where the wires are fixed and there's a flap that swings down to catch the clip on the cord on my Asus and it's a pile of poo poo. The spring wore out in a few months and it often doesn't grip cables tightly.

I wish these vendors would just stop. Either give me a proper ethernet port or just put a Thunderbolt port there so I can have a dongle that doesn't suck. Inevitably the lovely port is backed up by some Realtek nonsense, or even worse "Killer" gamer trash.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't really feel that a laptop that was the thickness of an ethernet jack would be too thick either.
That too, I truly don't understand the quest for thinness. If a laptop is too thin for a normal ethernet jack (or if a phone is too thin for a headphone jack) that means it could use more battery.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Volguus posted:

Ugh, so it's already an issue, get NAT-ed at the ISP level? It's simpler than ipv6 and ipv6-ipv4 bridge?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

Yes this is unfortunately a thing. Rather than doing things right and pushing IPv6 harder a bunch of ISPs decided that adding more NAT to the world was a better idea.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Collateral Damage posted:

Coincidentally, it's only a few hours away from the German towns of Kissing and Petting too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLXe2WTYngQ

I used to have a customer in Auburn Hills and would always giggle when I passed that exit. It being exit 69 is just the icing on the childish cake.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bigass Moth posted:

You can get off at exit 69 for Big Beaver Rd to get to Big Bone Lick State Park and I’m not joking at all.

Exit 69 for Big Beaver Road is in Michigan, off I-75 in the northern part of the Detroit metro area.

Big Bone Lick State Park is in Kentucky, however it is off of the similarly named Beaver Road, which if you follow it east from the park will take you to the town of Beaverlick. Coincidentally if you follow Beaver Road further it ends right next to an offramp from I-75, but it's exit 171.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Javid posted:

From a few pages back, but I kind of wonder if/when ISP support scripts are going to catch up with the increasing reality that people can reasonably not own any devices with a wired network port on them.
I'd assume there's a pretty significant overlap on the venn diagram of "People who don't own a normal PC" and "People who are happy with the ISP-provided modem/router/wifi combo device" so the situation probably doesn't come up all that often.

Those of us who care about using third-party routers tend to also be the types to have proper PCs or at least own a USB ethernet adapter.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
That sounds more like a MTU issue than anything with layer 1.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Fool posted:

This too. There is no reason to have any in-wall wiring besides power and cat-5/6/7
I'd be amazed to see this actually work for cable TV/internet or satellite. It might work for shorter runs of basic composite video like a security camera, but I'd be willing to bet that its actual intended use is to allow a cable tester and/or toner designed for ethernet cables to also support coax.

On the WiFi thing, IMO the correct answer is to wire everything unless impractical or impossible. I hate the recent trend of non-portable devices forgoing ethernet ports to be wireless-only. It's tolerable in limited cases where a device with limited network performance requirements is expected to be installed in places that won't have a network jack nearby, like a doorbell or a smart speaker, but something like a printer or a game console should always have an ethernet port.

If you only use your network as a way to get to the internet and don't play competitive online games then it is possible that you may not notice the limitations of WiFi, but I'm surprised so many people in this thread are acting like a wired home network offers little to no benefit.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

JazzmasterCurious posted:

It's still almost science fiction to me the speeds data is transferred at these days. My history is 9600 > 14.4 > 28.8 > 56K (USRobotics Courier, which gave even bettter speed if your ISP also had them at their end, which all did) through dual ISDN, 2 Mbps SDSL, 40/20 Mbps VDSL and all crappy DSL variants in between, to my now 250/30 stable DOCSIS 3 cable connection. To download a Linux ISO in a few seconds feels crazy to me still.
I started with a 2400 baud modem and still occasionally laugh at myself when I start getting annoyed at the fact that I'm downloading something at "only" 20 megabits per second while in a car doing 80 MPH, or when my cable at home underperforming and I'm getting "only" the same 100mbit/sec speeds I'd have seen between my home PC and file server 10 years ago.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Got the same shitstorm from my mom for exactly the same reason.

BBS in Dearborn Heights: Free
BBS in Dearborn (same loving exchange, even): Local Toll
BBS in Redford: Free
BBS in Detroit (literally across the street): Local Toll

HorstMann's list was the bible, though.
Also did the same thing with AOL dialup numbers back when they went unlimited. All the Toledo numbers were busy all the time, but Findlay was usually available and it's still 419 so it's still local right? :downs:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I'm counting three joints per arm on both of those. One at the monitor, one in the middle, and one where the arm meets the pole.

The StarTech one does have 3" longer arms at full extension, but their articulation is the same.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I love the freedom of working from home, I like to sleep in, and I don't like to dress up.

I'd happily show up at an office at 8 AM in a suit if it meant I never had to be on call again.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Varkk posted:

I have seen some Windows 7 pcs have a couple of hundred GB of windows updates temp files. I think you sometimes need ‘system’ permission to clear them.

Annoyingly this bug still hasn't been fixed.

Once the Windows Update log file exceeds 2GB the service that compresses it for archival will crash, leave behind a ~200MB temp file, and immediately try again. Repeat until C is full.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

To be fair to the Engineer in question... He was out sick, and came in to do whatever my boss BEGGED him to do before going on vacation.

Still a dick move by the engineer as far as its impacts on you, but definitely a lot more justifiable as moderate malicious compliance against the boss in that case if he was brought in from at least mentally having already clocked out for vacation.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Renegret posted:

"Diaper Guy" as he was termed had a very obvious Diaper fetish. And while I'm not one to kink shame, we're pretty sure his fetish also included getting other people to look at pictures of himself against their will. He used to call in multiple times a week and would say anything he could in order to get someone to remote in. Eventually most reps knew him by name. A note was put on his account to never, under any circumstances, remote into his PC. He used to be used as a sort of hazing ritual where new people where taught the hard way to read customer notes before doing anything.

Eventually management got involved and all of his calls went directly to a supervisor. Coincidentally he cancelled his service shortly after he stopped getting people to remote in.

Teamviewer has an option to automatically disable the wallpaper when you connect remotely. Officially it's to reduce bandwidth requirements, but not seeing the nonsense users put there (regardless of why they're doing it) is a great secondary benefit.

No more 640x480 photos of ugly babies stretched across a 1080p display.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I replied telling them that they can just factory wipe their phone, but does anyone know of legit Android antivirus software? Is Trend Micro any good?

Without root Android apps have very little access to other apps, so I can't really imagine that any antivirus software being sold to the average end user is any good. Basically all it would be able to do is scan files on shared storage and check the installed software against a blacklist, no meaningful heuristics or access to any data the application has placed in its private storage.

Preinstalled software built in to the firmware can get special permissions and should be able to do all the normal antivirus things, but that's up to your OEM and/or carrier.

It is of course technically possible to sell software requiring root which could then do whatever it wanted, but the overlap in the Venn diagram of "users with rooted phones" and "users willing to purchase antivirus software for their phones" has to be incredibly small so I'd be amazed to find there's anyone offering such a thing.

Definitely just factory the thing. That's the nice thing about appliance-type devices, a factory reset fixes almost all software issues (and a reflash fixes most that might remain). Of course be aware that a surprising number of people seem to still not sync their contacts and/or calendar with any external services, so if they're going to complain to and/or about you when they lose data it's probably not a bad idea to check those things. TOTP authenticator apps and photos/videos in the shared storage area are probably also worth looking for.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

LOL at Samsung's email client making GBS threads the bed and spamming a bunch of people.

Didn't Samsung's SMS client randomly start sending your contacts images from your phone just a few months ago or was that some other OEM that sucks at software?

edit: Yes

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/7/2/17528076/samsung-phones-text-rcs-update-messages

wolrah fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 13, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
It's really nice to have a "permanent" power supply that just lives at your desk, so I think it's perfectly reasonable for users who actually work at home to want another one to leave there.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sirotan posted:

Congrats, this is even more disgusting than my spec bucket laptop. I hope by "anti-viral clenser" you don't just mean hand sanitizer either.

No way IMO, spec bucket still leads by a lot.

Pretty much every adult has cleaned up vomit at a few times in their life. Most people by the time they're through college have cleaned up someone else's at least once. If you have a pet or a small child it's less a matter of if you've cleaned up vomit that wasn't yours and more a question of how many times this year.

I'm sure that your story being posted on this forum has at least quadrupled the number of people on the planet who are even aware of the concept of a spec bucket. Since it's a safe bet the majority of those reading the IT threads here have a Y chromosome I'd imagine a fair number of those people weren't even aware of what a speculum was or what it might be used for until your post.

I don't know about you but I'd usually prefer familiar forms of nasty to new ones, especially ones made from multiple people. At least I know how to handle it.

I mean, presumably (god I hope) yours didn't have chunks in it but that's about the only positive as I see it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

angry armadillo posted:

I have never understood why electricians don't just learn how to do Data cabling.

I get them to pull cabling for me but they end up making me (my helpdesk guy) terminate it.

I'd guess because electrical and to a lesser extent telecom wiring is easy to test and verify that everything was done right. data cabling is a lot pickier, it's much more likely to end up with a connection that looks good and even passes continuity tests but doesn't perform to spec.

Or just laziness and not wanting to deal with it, as shown by the last page of people who know what they're doing but hate doing it.

IMO a 50 pack of 8P8C ends should last years in most environments, you should never be crimping normal patch cables, just use commercial ones. The only cables you should be considering building are the unusual ones. Crossovers, loopbacks, multi-line breakouts, etc.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 25, 2018

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

I just want to know how the logistics works of wiring a couple hundred drops and getting them to fall into the patch panels in a way that means the numbers are in the same order as the drops are out on the floor.

If you're thinking ahead you're marking the cables as you're pulling them. It's not like you don't know where you're pulling them to.

If you haven't done that, hopefully you left enough slack at the patch panel end that you can send out a PFY with a toner and work it backwards.

If you haven't done that, hopefully no one actually cares about the order and you can just patch them in where they fit, then number the jacks on the floor based on where they ended up. Again a PFY with a toner helps, or if you have nice enough switches a laptop and something to view CDP/LLDP with.

Even if you do mark as they're run though, $deity help you if someone in power actually cares about the order of the numbers on the floor. Inevitably somewhere is going to need a new drop and you either have to have drop 73 physically in between 14 and 15 or someone's getting a pile of bitch work.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Aunt Beth posted:

It’s worst when the pause between the music and the ad is just long enough to get your hopes up that someone has just picked up the phone.

One of my customers recorded their mid-run ad on one of their phones, so you can hear them picking the handset up off of speaker when they start the recording. Every 45 seconds you literally hear a handset being picked up followed by a human voice.

I've brought it up with them and they don't seem to care. I wish they were one of my voice customers so I could edit out the click myself.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

stevewm posted:

Fun fact: running WPA-PSK on most wifi equipment results in 802.11g speed limits. We had to run a separate SSID just for these drat things to avoid slowing other devices down.

This is actually in the spec. 802.11n and above mandate WPA2, any devices that support WPA1 at 802.11n or above speeds are technically doing it wrong.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

Had a demo of a VoIP deskphone today. The things run an out-of-date version of Android (6, January 2018 security patches), require people to log into their Google accounts as part of the setup process, download the actual phone application from the store, and give people free rein to install whatever apps they want, the thing is a sea of update notifications for 15 minutes after first booting.

I have no idea how you can take a telephone and gently caress it up so badly. The icing on the poo poo cake is that it also runs slowly so it’s not even a good telephone.

The vendor suggests we manage them by enrolling them in MDM (because none of the Android stuff can be provisioned by the PBX), and I was too shocked to laugh them out the room.
The bad thing is that this describes literally every single Android-powered VoIP phone I've ever tried. Except maybe the security patch part, most of the ones I've used aren't that up to date. Ubiquiti, Yealink, Grandstream, they all seem to get their hardware from whatever the $100 smartphone vendors are rejecting and use whatever the first Android version their SoC vendor ever supported was.

I don't understand how the VoIP phone vendors manage to gently caress this up so badly. Somehow most of them even have a worse phone app than the barebones SIP client that's been built in to Android for years. All they have to do is take a modern Qualcomm reference platform, remove the cellular components, add PoE, and attach it to a handset with a dialpad in a way that doesn't look idiotic. It shouldn't be such a challenge.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

The 'shouldn't exist' part is correct. I don't think Ubiquiti have ever had those phones working, and still don't know what their plans are.
They technically "work" fine as far as what they claim in their sales materials, I have the exact model pictured in my inventory somewhere and used it as a primary phone for a week when it showed up, but they definitely had more ambitious plans for their own PBX platform and the whole VoIP line which have gone absolutely nowhere.

Initially you had to configure them through their controller software, more recently they've added support for TFTPing a config based on option 66, but the config file format is as lovely as Grandstream's.

quote:

Reading their forums there are people who seem to not accept that something can exist unless it's made by Ubiquiti so you get weird requests for them to bring out their own range of UPSes.
The weirdest request I've seen so far is for a doorbell. Not a video doorbell integrating with the UniFi Video line, at least that'd make sense, but a plain button with a speaker somewhere else, connected over WiFi for some reason.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 25, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

ugh grandstream config files are the worst. it's just 10,000 lines of options that shouldn't exist, but if you change one it could very well gently caress absolutely everything.
And it's all barely documented number codes instead of anything remotely readable.

How anyone could look at what Polycom, Sipura/Linksys/CiscoSB, Aastra, Cisco, or Yealink have done, then look at Grandstream's configs, and think "Yes, this is the right way..." boggles my mind. I feel like the only rational answer is something along the lines of how Nintendo's executives had never used Xbox Live or PSN and thus had no idea their online services were so horrible by comparison.

I don't mind Grandstream hardware, and they're usually pretty cheap, but we don't recommend anyone buy their phones because they're such a pain in the dick to configure. We still use the GXP42xx large-scale ATAs though because they're a lot cheaper than Adtran TA9xxs and there aren't really any single device tweaks with them, so it's worth the trouble to work out one template and just stick with it.

chin up everything sucks posted:

Do I need to once again reiterate my horror story of being one of Ubiquiti's 4 tech support about 5 years ago?
:justpost: I definitely missed this the first time around.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Fool posted:

I bought a BW laser printer for home.

We are still using the factory toner cartridge 10 years later.

:hf:

Same here, I bought a refurbished LaserJet 4+ back in 2004 and it's getting a bit light and spotty but still prints on the cartridge I got with it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Merijn posted:

Wife still complains about the Wifi repeater being poo poo, and refuses any troubleshooting on why she can't just connect to the main Wifi AP.

That's because WiFi repeaters are poo poo. The best answer is a proper wired multi-AP system like UniFi or similar, or if that's not an option then a "mesh" system where the remote units have dedicated backhaul radios. Repeaters try to use the same radio for devices and backhaul, which is obviously a lot cheaper but also means each hop inherently has a 50+% loss in capacity.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
There is no such thing as a good scanner either. Only bad and less bad. TWAIN drivers are often worse than printers. Evil lies everywhere paper and computers interact, especially if some rear end in a top hat has decided to involve a modem as well and make a fax machine out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Entropic posted:

I’ve long since stopped being surprised at how many businesses still live and die by their damned FAX machines. The worst though is when they have the fax line running through their PBX or over a SIP trunk just to add layers of things which could go wrong.

Oh trust me, I know. My day job is with a MSP that does VoIP for small-medium businesses and any time someone calls about a fax issue I die a bit inside.

I have said many times that I'd give all my worldly possessions to someone who managed to develop a self-replicating fax worm that could just destroy every fax machine in the world. Obviously that's unfortunately technically impossible, but a man can dream can't he? I'd be penniless but more at peace than Buddha to know I'd never have to hear about that poo poo again.

The only way it's going to change is if the regulatory world finally admits that faxes are not secure in the slightest, rather than their current legal fiction that pretends an analog telephone line is perfectly private. The medical and legal industries in particular love faxes because they're nonsensically treated as secure so they're less effort than actually doing it right.

edit: If I put on my company logo hat and shirt, clip my lineman's handset to my belt, and carry a clipboard I can get in to pretty much any telephone room in the English-speaking world. From there it'd take me about 45 seconds to hook up some off the shelf hardware and be able to intercept faxes to my laptop in real time, even modifying them if I put it on a bit of a delay. Even the simplest forms of encrypted email are orders of magnitude more secure than that.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 8, 2019