Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
One of my co-workers never used CTRL+L, even after people reminded her of it.

She was on the Data Loss Prevention team :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

totalnewbie posted:

That's because she's using Win+L

:smithicide:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

This is inviting disaster when they forget their phone someday...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Fool posted:

Is there some reason you didn’t say PhD?

There are other types of research doctorates in the UK.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Johnny Aztec posted:

I read that as Dr. Phil and my brain showed me images of Uncle Phil wearing surgery scrubs

The Closer was a pretty solid cop show.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
gently caress ServiceNow hard. Last place I was in transitioned to it before I joined and literally nobody in the building knew how to use it. Tickets to get me access to my team's network shares are probably still open two months after I left the place.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Whoever set up that one made it worse than out of the box then, because I never worked out how to close tickets after work was complete and they were sent back to me for confirmation. Having multiple managers for tickets to route through for approval often just resulted in the managers never approving anything because somewhere along the chain one of them wouldn't even know they had to. The helpdesk dudes just gave up eventually, because "open a ticket" was invaribly met with "okay... how?" from the various other tech teams. I felt bad for them really, because at least I didn't get many tickets coming my way.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

larchesdanrew posted:

It’s all coming to a head. Literally everyone in administration is jumping ship after the announcement that we are axing the art program so director won’t have to hire a new art teacher after the current one retires this year.

Everyone is just emailing each other potential jobs at a neighboring college at this point. I’ve got three applications in now.

:getin:
I am :ohdear: as gently caress. Best of luck dude, hope 2018 is :yotj: for you.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Fool posted:

Make up stories about an IT Loa.
This used to hang on one of the labs in Dublin City University. Cost some friends the chance to ever work with Microsoft when they spun some recruiters a bullshit story about it on an industry visit day.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Methanar posted:

Build a giant faraday cage.
Watching HR try to justify this might be worth the effort of running up a quick cost estimate.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I was thinking it looked vaguely like a bird strike, but on closer inspection it's just smudges.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Did they ask you to change the number to match the cards so they wouldn't have to reprint them?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That’s actually what I was thinking. Probably safer than XP. As a bonus a lot of them aren’t vulnerable to Meltdown/Spectre.
XP partially arrested the spread of Wannacry because instead of passing it on the machines just bsod'd. Being so poo poo as to just die is now a viable defence mechanism for your network. Buffalo theory.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The most valuable thing I learned in the last year is the difference between "threat" and "risk". Sometimes it's just not worth worrying about aliens hacking your gibson via laser guided dust bunnies.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Those people get docking stations and eleventy monitors.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'd have just gone with GOP :shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanatosian posted:

I feel like anything with less than 8GB of RAM and an i5 doesn't really have any business running Windows 10. I feel like if your employee isn't worth at least that, then why are they your employee?
You have somewhat higher expectations of your employer's regard for you than I've come to expect.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Iron Rose posted:

So darktrace decided to go full bore on the CYBER GRAPHICS poo poo and it's incredibly infurating to use this slow as hell web service that's running a ridiculously fancy and ridiculously useless topology in the background.

My dude. If I'm analyzing DNS logs seeing some fancy CSI crap is exactly what I don't want or need.
This is literally why my last place didn't go with them. I think my exact words when asked about it were "it's like I'm hacking in a 90's movie GUI, at 90's CPU speeds".

Also I really didn't like it that you could dismiss a notification almost by accident with no confirmation required, but there didn't seem to be a way to list the notifications that you had previously dismissed so you could examine or restore them. But mostly the GUI thing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair, it was really obvious from about half an hour in.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Antioch posted:

I loved Season 1 of Mr. Robot, but man Season 2 seemed really odd to me. Like it had just lost the plot and began this whole over the top crazy thing. I was half expecting it to go supernatural at the end. Hopefully Season 3 is better, I should check to see if it's up on Prime yet.

Yeah, there were some cool episodes but it just didn't really work. The twist at the end made me just stop caring too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

suuma posted:

People use the brackets? Half the IT guys here just let the thing hang in the case :v:

I mean I realize that's probably bad but I'm not the one doing it
I hope that dude likes having the contact pins eventually just snap off.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Antioch posted:

It's a Guinness Blonde Lager. It's ...not great.
They try that every few years, for some reason. Best I can tell it's so the Thomas-street locals complain less about the stench that the factory produces.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nth Doctor posted:

That's weird because wort on the boil smells fuckin delicious.
It's the barley roasting. Makes it smell the same being made as it does on the way out the morning after.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fortis posted:

At my company simply getting the work from home infrastructure was a year-long struggle, and they only ultimately approved it because some sales reps wanted to move and be remote full-time. After that, we actually were allowed to work from home up to 20 hours a week (4 hours a day, and a separate unlimited amount of time to work remote if sick) as long as there was coverage in IT. Other departments adopted our remote work policies, too, it was awesome. But then profits dipped and the COO scrambled for an excuse, and singled out occasional remote work as the scapegoat.

But this is a company where the CEO famously said “people are here to work, not be entertained” about headphones, so I guess we should have seen it coming.

Executives, man. Who even knows with them.
Last time I was sick in a place that let people work from home I was told to gently caress off and just sleep until I was alright to come back in.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

chin up everything sucks posted:

So, I just discovered that our cheapass ticketing system (FreshService) has a "feature" that automatically recognizes attachments that are containers and opens those containers so you only see the content files attached to the ticket.

That means that it, say, unzips a .zip file.

Or it takes an Outlook email that is attached to a ticket and turns it into .txt and .html files.

So when I need a user to give me an email that they think is a phishing email, and I need to LOOK AT THE HEADER INFO.... I can't see the header info, because the loving ticketing system stripped that info from the attachment without saying anything.

And of course there is no way to turn this helpful feature off.
Is getting the user to save the email and attach it to a direct email not workable?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Or just do what I said and get the user to skip the system and email it to him direct :shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Varkk posted:

They would attach the label to the layer of dust over the breaker.
Well of course. That dust is vital to maintain the electro-static equilibrium of the unit exterior.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I can't be the only person who sees a ruggedised milspec laptop on TV and thinks "yes, that is what I want".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I kind of want to get a squeaky hammer now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Or the updates that they require and/or that break each other.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bob Morales posted:

We were stuck in the engineering department for a few months while they were remodeling.

Nerf wars get old really quick
I got used to having them at 4PM on a Friday. Made sure everyone was okay with you leaving early "to avoid it".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Macaroni posted:

Re: Phishing

After 2 or so years, I finally fell for one of the educational "fake" phishing emails. The security team brilliantly aped a corporate email, all the way down to the logo, wording, and the linked external survey ("Click here to share your thoughts on the recent So-and-So Initiative!"). My last company used an internal tool for surveys, but here we hardly have anything on prem so a link to CorpSurveySite.Com went right under my radar.

Thank goodness it was fake.
I had one of those pop up and after checking all the gubbinz realised that it was a legit email sent from a domain we owned but which was defunct due to branding, but maintained to prevent exactly this poo poo happening. There was literally nothing in it to suggest it was suspicious at all, except the CEO never bothers with the level of poo poo the email suggested. So I figured out what it was and opened the link in a VM to see what we were doing to educate users, as a good and curious new security dude.

Six pages into the PDF that I downloaded later, I got bored and stopped reading. It was just. So. Long. A non-technical user, of which we had lots, would just have stopped caring on page one.

Also the SOC went nuts because they couldn't work out who on the non-SOC security team opened the link and why it was being accessed from outside the company since I was running all my poo poo through our team's shared testing SSH tunnel due to firewall issues that ServiceNow was preventing the helpdesk even noticing existed and turned out to be due to group policy poo poo which wasn't fixed until a week before I left all while everyone else was using the SSH tunnel just because gently caress the web filter when you literally need to look up "blocked: hacking" content basically every ten minutes :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

RFC2324 posted:

Holy run on sentence Batman
If I don't run it on, you don't get the full effect of why this was stupid. I actually re-edited it all back into one sentence just to accurately express how terrible the workarounds were.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A friend of mine spent a day wondering what the intermittant breeze underneath his desk was a few years back. Turns out a dog tailgated through no less than six double sets of security doors to get to his office. Nobody noticed :shrug:

Also this happened here a few years back.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's so :3: to see you posting like this after the news. You're a good dude doing a good job.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
No, MI-6 is when your overseas datacenter link drops. You're thinking of MI-5.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Six and Five are pleasure to deal with, compared to the hassle of.... "incidents of exotic cause", shall we say, that draw the attention of MI-13. :cthulhu:
Sadly MI-13 was just a recon unit. Learning ruins fun.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7iW_VuR8d0

Marcade posted:

Pickman's Modem, surely?
The Dialup Handshake of Erich Zann?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Renegret posted:

I sit next to the people who take escalation calls from the call center. They straight up refuse to look at slow speed issues until the customer bypasses the router and plugs directly into the modem.
This used to be a pain in the hole for me in Xbox. Most consumer gear in the UK and Ireland is just a combo router/modem box, but we still had to ask everyone to take the imaginary step of bypassing the router and plugging straight into the modem. Then it'd turn out that they owed us money and their account was suspended :shrug:

On the consumer side:
I've been told that the house wasn't wired correctly when the ISP didn't actually service the area.
Been switched through all four pre-installed phone lines into the house and then had the front garden dug up so the lines could be replaced all because the dudes on the phone wouldn't believe me that the modem was dead
Been told that the DNS server on their end was fine even though my neighbours were having the same problem when I cracked their wifi thanks to this bullshit and SSH tunneling via a local university worked fine by people in my own company.

Somedays you get the ticket, somedays the ticket gets you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sormus posted:

Those do sound like places Finnish settlers would name places.

- written from "Whistling oval office swamp", Finland
"Moorhead" is an Irish surname. The pronunciation of the first half is similar to the Irish word for "big" too, which is always fun for Moorheads aged 6-12.