Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yeah but seriously. Facebook News vs Newspaper News and Newspaper News will win every time. Newspapers in Australia have plenty of issues on their own but I would rather someone read them than A Facebook article about Julia Gillards secret Carbon Tax Sex Cartel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If only there were sources of online news other than facebook.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hopefully the average person, the person who types Facebook in Google to reach Facebook, will find those news sources.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I remember when some article about Facebook login security managed to somehow become the number one Google result for "Facebook login" and the article's comments was filled with people just sending their email and password. Fun.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
What the hell is facebook news? My fb friends share the most moronic poo poo but nothing that pretends to be news.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Also what has caused the surge in politician/media focus on "African crime"?? Just really weird to see a bunch of places spew ultranationalist talking points.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Recoome posted:

Also what has caused the surge in politician/media focus on "African crime"?? Just really weird to see a bunch of places spew ultranationalist talking points.

The LNP has decided it needs to start eroding Vic government?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Recoome posted:

starkebn posted:

The LNP has decided it needs to start eroding Vic government?

This and it's a News Corp talking point. They're literally creating fake news around these gangs (see: the infamous photo of "Apex Gang Members" on a bus that was actually a hip-hop group from another country) and for once reading the comments was worth it on the Guardian article about this since a guy summed it up as "Fed Libs attacking State Labs" with

WA: GST
SA: Energy
Vic: Crime/gangs

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Also submissions to PRuddock's discrimination appreciation station will be kept secret

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Inescapable Duck posted:

So has housing crashed yet?

Not yet but I reckon 2018 is our year

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I like that they've gone through so many police officials saying "They're not a gang" getting mid-article quotes at best until finally giving up and sending out the one guy who'll say "Alright gently caress it, they're acting like gangs, are you happy now?" for headline news.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Police are 25 times more likely to be assaulted by someone born in Aus or NZ

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Recoome posted:

Victorian Liberals have made "MAKE ARE STREETS SAFER" their main talking point. Which is stupid because there are so, so many things to attack DAndrews over but they pick the one that reminds me (and hopefully many other members of the Victorian voting public) of the time Matthew Guy (the VicLib leader) got caught eating dinner with several high ranking members of the Mafia.

It's a state election year and they're making hay out of VicPol (election in November) instead of SAPol (election in March) because a) APEX GANGS works in regional areas, b) SALiberals are hosed and everyone knows it - they may get into government this term but it will be in coalition with Xenophon, c) FedPol prolly plays better in Melbourne than it does in SA.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Also as long as we're chatting Youth Crime I noticed a pretty cool juxtaposition the other day between Channel 9 News talking up these drat hooligan kids acting like thugs and the latest promo for Underbelly season 87: Uncle Chop Chop.

I wonder where these kids are getting the idea that crime is glamorous and desirable.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

This may alarm you but many Australians are racist and also very stupid.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Skellybones posted:

This may alarm you but many Australians are racist and also very stupid.

I am alert, not alarmed.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
If you see something, post something

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Yeah but seriously. Facebook News vs Newspaper News and Newspaper News will win every time. Newspapers in Australia have plenty of issues on their own but I would rather someone read them than A Facebook article about Julia Gillards secret Carbon Tax Sex Cartel.
Newscorp News is Facebook News these days, Anidav. Hope this helps.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Watched commercial network news yesterday for the first time in a while. gently caress the reporting is trash.
Quick shots of Ahed Tamimi talking about how she attacked an Israeli soldier who "showed restraint" for not shooting her, no mention of the reason why she was hitting the soldier (her brother was shot in the face).

Next up leading with a quote from some LNP twat claiming that foreign drivers are killing everyone on our roads (with no facts to back up that statement ), segue to talking about how many people died in crashes in the last year (with accompanying photos of crashes to make sure people get nice and afraid). Buried in the middle of this 5 minute story was a single line stating that very few crashes involve foreign tourists and that it's entirely a non-issue.

Commercial news is such a joke. Literally just copy and paste press releases.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

cohsae posted:

The only two news sources that don't do this are ABC and Fox.
ABC getting gutted is not going to help Australia avoid becoming USA 0.3.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Schlesische posted:

The only two news sources that don't do this are ABC and Fox.
ABC getting gutted is not going to help Australia avoid becoming USA 0.3.

Actually ABC is trash despite binning Uhlmann

The Grauniad is the most pissweak liberal piece of trash going around.

Get all your news from the Betoota Advocate

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

This and it's a News Corp talking point. They're literally creating fake news around these gangs (see: the infamous photo of "Apex Gang Members" on a bus that was actually a hip-hop group from another country) and for once reading the comments was worth it on the Guardian article about this since a guy summed it up as "Fed Libs attacking State Labs" with

WA: GST
SA: Energy
Vic: Crime/gangs

It is, they think they're the super rescue team for useless LNP branches and it never works. It just reminds people that the local sods are hopeless idiots and vote the other way in droves. It's particularly funny now that Kroger snagged national president.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

cohsae posted:

Nah, they punch up the press releases with extra racism

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ewe2 posted:

It is, they think they're the super rescue team for useless LNP branches and it never works. It just reminds people that the local sods are hopeless idiots and vote the other way in droves. It's particularly funny now that Kroger snagged national president.
LOL What? That utter failure of a man is their national president now? He always seems to back the wrong horse

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

Newscorp News is Facebook News these days, Anidav. Hope this helps.

Not necessarily. The premium content requires a News Plus account.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

Not necessarily. The premium content requires a News Plus account.
Paying for poo poo doesn't make it premium poo poo.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Wonder how many subscriptions they managed to flog off last year with the free Google Mini included. "Get a newspaper subscription along with this device that helps render newspapers redundant!"

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You Am I posted:

LOL What? That utter failure of a man is their national president now? He always seems to back the wrong horse

Actually I got that wrong, Nick Greiner is national president. But Kroger is still Victorian president, he beat Peter Reith only because Reith apparently had a stroke. But presumably the Federal tactics are with Kroger's blessing so he's on the hook for this stupidity.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

I mean, News Plus is basically just a bunch of their usual poo poo behind a paywall.

It's almost as if Anidav is trying to sell something.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

CrazyTolradi posted:

I mean, News Plus is basically just a bunch of their usual poo poo behind a paywall.

It's almost as if Anidav is trying to sell something.

The paywall is the name of the constantly open toilet door in his offices, isn't it?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav is all about change from within, he's doing them slowly.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The paywall is the name of the constantly open toilet door in his offices, isn't it?
You need to pay to close the doors, do employees expect to just get to go to the loo for free?!?!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CrazyTolradi posted:

Paying for poo poo doesn't make it premium poo poo.

Well you paid to post here :owned:

ewe2 posted:

Actually I got that wrong, Nick Greiner is national president. But Kroger is still Victorian president, he beat Peter Reith only because Reith apparently had a stroke. But presumably the Federal tactics are with Kroger's blessing so he's on the hook for this stupidity.

My only hope is that the Vic Liberals become as ineffective as the South Australian Liberals, making Menzies really spin in his grave.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

You Am I posted:

My only hope is that the Vic Liberals become as ineffective as the South Australian Liberals, making Menzies really spin in his grave.
Hook him up to a turbine, who's going to save coal power now?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I think the Vic Libs are definitely headed that way, although I'm a little biased given the history of my State seat, Bendigo East. But if they spent serious money on a good candidate and all he could do was shift the percentage a little up then the schadenfreude with their new secret super candidate which they've kept quiet about since June 2017.

But if this story is any guide, I think they'll be disappointed :roflolmao:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton has blasted the Victorian Labor government over African street crime, claiming residents of Australia's second-largest city were scared to go out to restaurants at night.

In a dramatic intervention in the state's crime debate, Mr Dutton also attacked Premier Daniel Andrews, who he accused of undermining the effectivenesss of police and the courts.

Are you guys afraid of going out at night?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton has blasted the Victorian Labor government over African street crime, claiming residents of Australia's second-largest city were scared to go out to restaurants at night.

In a dramatic intervention in the state's crime debate, Mr Dutton also attacked Premier Daniel Andrews, who he accused of undermining the effectivenesss of police and the courts.

Not really, no.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Somehow I don’t think some potato brained Joh era bundy swilling fascist is going to get victorians behind Matthew Guy

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
please don't sully the good name of bundaberg rum, the people's social lubricant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

I'm more afraid of being run over by a bogan male in their shitheap Commodore than any youth gangs in my area.

• Locked thread