Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Davros1 posted:

It's a shame Superman doesn't have a power that could keep him out of arms length long enough to explain

He tried to explain, Batman wasn't listening, and "out of arms length" seems an odd comment given the first successful attack on him was a grenade shot across a rooftop.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Whoa, what'd Superman do in Africa?
Why don't you just watch the movie?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Crows Turn Off posted:

Why don't you just watch the movie?

He probably values his time.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

PriorMarcus posted:

He probably values his time.

Look at where we are and what we are doing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sir Kodiak posted:

He tried to explain, Batman wasn't listening, and "out of arms length" seems an odd comment given the first successful attack on him was a grenade shot across a rooftop.

A-ha, but now Supes knows about the grenade, and can dodge it, then just shout at him. And if that doesn't work, grab his rear end and fly him 1,000 feet in the air. Bats will listen then.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Davros1 posted:

A-ha, but now Supes knows about the grenade, and can dodge it, then just shout at him. And if that doesn't work, grab his rear end and fly him 1,000 feet in the air. Bats will listen then.

Supes caught the grenade, probably intended as a show of force to demonstrate the futility and silliness of this, but the grenade was full of kryptonite gas.

He doesn't really have an excuse for getting hit by the second one though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In this troubling, complicated times I just want to thank this thread for assuring me that new thread, new year... we'll still be talking about MoS/BvS.

Its comforting in some way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Look at where we are and what we are doing.

Hell yeah work sucks

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

STAC Goat posted:

In this troubling, complicated times I just want to thank this thread for assuring me that new thread, new year... we'll still be talking about MoS/BvS.

My New Year's resolution is that I'm not even going to mention BvS or MoS in this thread.

Edit: poo poo gently caress

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

It's all in good fun. I mean, I can't ever recall people getting so defensive about any film until MoS/BvS. Not even the SW Prequels.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If people posted the dumbest possible complaints about No Country for Old Men (lol, what kind of try-hard "wacky" idiot kills based on a coin toss?!?), I'd make fun of those instead, but I work with what I'm given.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 2, 2018

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Davros1 posted:

I mean, I can't ever recall people getting so defensive about any film until MoS/BvS. Not even the SW Prequels.

This isn't directed at you specifically, but just a general question because I saw a similar comment in Gen Chat a while ago: isn't SW prequel love pretty recent?

The movies were pretty reviled by "fans" almost immediately after release, although I can't remember if the prequels or the Special Editions started the "George Lucas raped my childhood thing". Really, the CD thread is the first place I've seen nerds who think the movies aren't that bad.

Maybe I just missed out on a loud, obnoxious part of the internet when they were released.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LesterGroans posted:

This isn't directed at you specifically, but just a general question because I saw a similar comment in Gen Chat a while ago: isn't SW prequel love pretty recent?

The movies were pretty reviled by "fans" almost immediately after release, although I can't remember if the prequels or the Special Editions started the "George Lucas raped my childhood thing". Really, the CD thread is the first place I've seen nerds who think the movies aren't that bad.

Maybe I just missed out on a loud, obnoxious part of the internet when they were released.

It's been long enough that they're being reevaluated, and more and more people grew up with them instead of hte Original Trilogy as well.

Attack of the Clones is still dire with a few saving graces but the other two are Fine. Phantom Menace looks better and Revenge is at least trying to do something

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

If people posted the dumbest possible complaints about No Country for Old Men (lol, what kind of try-hard "wacky" idiot kills based on a coin toss?!?), I'd make fun of those instead, but I work with what I'm given.

I remember there was a really goofy argument about NCFOM but I forget what it was exactly, something about Chigurh really being behind the motel door or something?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Nobody "reviled" the prequels immediately after release. Revisionist history, my man.

Online movie discussion is now mostly poo poo, it's people deciding that stuff is either total loving irredeemable garbage or jaw-dropping perfect masterpieces. There's no middle ground anymore, it's all bad faith slams and recitation of "plot holes" talking points from dumbshits on Youtube or pointing at Rotten Tomatoes and saying "see, I'm right". I just heard a podcast refer to Blade Runner 2049 as "complete dogshit" and it's like, ok, these people have had their brains turned to oatmeal by Being Online.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't know what universe you're living in where people didn't immediately and violently hate Jar-Jar.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jar-Jar was considered a bad part of an otherwise ok movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The one where kid me just constantly screamed "I WANT TO BE A PODRACER! PODRACING!!!! WOOOOOOOO!"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Exactly, even Jar-Jar was largely dismissed as "he's for little kids, you're not 'supposed' to 'get him'."

Again, the idea that movies had a point of view and were for specific people has been largely replaced by the idea that there's "objectively good storytelling" and that all movies should shackle themselves to it...if they do they will be rewarded with many tomatoes and fantastic box office.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

as time goes by internet spaces become less dominated by dudes who were in their 20s and 30s when tpm came out and were mad it didn't do the impossible by making them feel like how they remember it was like seeing the ot as a little kid

thus prequel hate seems like it diminishes over time

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Like, I saw Phantom Menace in theaters.

It was fine. Jar Jar was dumb but whatever.

You want to really catch a bad movie in theaters, be me in 1998 hyped as gently caress for Godzilla and then sitting through that trainwreck. That was the first time Dumb Kid Me really understood how to hate a movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Burkion posted:

Like, I saw Phantom Menace in theaters.

It was fine. Jar Jar was dumb but whatever.

You want to really catch a bad movie in theaters, be me in 1998 hyped as gently caress for Godzilla and then sitting through that trainwreck. That was the first time Dumb Kid Me really understood how to hate a movie.

It was my first Godzilla and turned me off of Godzilla movies for a long time.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, kids loved the prequels and general audiences seemed fine with them. I'm specifically talking about hardcore prequel defenders that I apparently had no idea existed all the way back to their release.

Don't get me wrong, I love that there are actual conversations about their quality happening now, I just assumed it was a recent thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's a movie that, for me, has some how gotten worse with age.

The practical effects in the film are top notch but the CGI has aged exactly as well as you'd think, and Zilla is just such a lovely monster. A lot of the really awful humor of the movie, and some of the more What The gently caress aspects, don't hit you as hard until you're much older too.

It's even more glaring in today's society just how inept and awful the film is. I do not think that it could have been made at any point after 2001 because of how it treats city destruction and loss of life. Couple that with 'comedy' bits that if you DO get them just drag the movie down even further than they were and you likely won't get them because what person is going to remember Siskle and Ebert having a 'feud' with Dean Devilin and Roland?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

Gambit - February 15, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUh9VIVJ18Q

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

MacheteZombie posted:

It was my first Godzilla and turned me off of Godzilla movies for a long time.

Hank Azaria is trying his hardest in that movie, man.

It's really funny that he and Harry Shearer were the two biggest celebrities in Godzilla, according to me and my friends at the time.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gambit will release on time, I guarantee Mon petit

Serf
May 5, 2011

LesterGroans posted:

when i first saw them as a kid, i thought they were pretty cool and so did the other kids

i still think they're pretty cool, just for more reasons now

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Supes caught the grenade, probably intended as a show of force to demonstrate the futility and silliness of this, but the grenade was full of kryptonite gas.

He doesn't really have an excuse for getting hit by the second one though.

Even then "well just fly him out of range of his toys" demonstrably didn't work for him when he tried it earlier in the fight. Superman got hit by some of Bats' traps and then flew him through a building onto a roof, then got hit by a kryptonite grenade. If he tries flying his rear end 1,000 feet into the air to get him to listen, there's no guarantee that Batman doesn't have like a kryptonite shank he can stab him in the groin with.

Literally every time Superman tried to reason with him or show how easily he could end the fight/take them to another location, Batman still kept refusing to listen and trying his hardest to gently caress Superman up. The whole argument boils down to a tactical realism "well if Superman had done A instead of B then the Batman's follow up attack wouldn't have worked as well and he definitely would be forced to listen".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, kids loved the prequels and general audiences seemed fine with them. I'm specifically talking about hardcore prequel defenders that I apparently had no idea existed all the way back to their release.

Don't get me wrong, I love that there are actual conversations about their quality happening now, I just assumed it was a recent thing.

I don't know that "hardcore" prequel defenders actually exist. I think it's more that the nerd consensus on the films has soured so much on the films that anything outside of that just seems more notable by contrast.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I vaguely remember having a lot of "they were ok, relax, you can still watch the originals" conversations at the time of prequels but I recently rewatched Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones and am really down on them and can't work up the drive to soldier on.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why didn't he just kill a hobo, rip off his head, rip off Batman's helmet at superspeed, put it on the hobo head and show the head to Lex Luthor?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Also let's not forget Superman has been dragged by the media for a week straight, had a bomb go off and kill a bunch of people right in front of him, saved the love of his life from certain death twice, found out Gotham's most prominent billionaire is an insane vigilante whose brands mark people for death, and now has an hour to find his mother before she's executed via flamethrower.

He's got a lot on his mind. An alternative title for BvS could be "Superman's Bad Week"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Also let's not forget Superman has been dragged by the media for a week straight, had a bomb go off and kill a bunch of people right in front of him, saved the love of his life from certain death twice, found out Gotham's most prominent billionaire is an insane vigilante whose brands mark people for death, and now has an hour to find his mother before she's executed via flamethrower.

He's got a lot on his mind. An alternative title for BvS could be "Superman's Bad Week"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lol this is the best

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lol as much as I love BvS I would totally take an alternate version where they are just being dicks to each other on social media

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I gotta admit...I'd retweet that

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

hosed up that Superman would dox someone.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

hosed up that Superman would dox someone.

Anything is possible in the grimdark reality of Zack Snyder's murderverse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I gotta admit...I'd retweet that

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i rise into the light and transform into a bat