Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hobbesmaster posted:

so is anyone here actually attending CES?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hobbesmaster posted:

so is anyone here actually attending CES?

thankfully not, op

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

poty posted:

honestly siri / alexa for the car sounds pretty useful

can teslas be voice controlled

nuance/dragon voice rec is terrible

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

no, but a few co-workers are so will be reading about what ensues

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i went in like 2009 or 2010 and CES was cool for about 3 hours and then it got dreadfully boring

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

is avn still the same time or did they even remove that reason to go to "ces"

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
the Kohler voice activated, internet connected posting station costs $7825

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Why did Samsung stop making OLED TVs?

I hope people don't think QLED is OLED. Consumer confusion/idiocy is why plasmas no longer exist and I don't want the same fate for OLED :ohdear:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I hope people don't think QLED is OLED. Consumer confusion/idiocy is why plasmas no longer exist and I don't want the same fate for OLED :ohdear:

a few years back. i think lg is the only company making large oled panels, which only they and sony make tvs with

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

a few years back. i think lg is the only company making large oled panels, which only they and sony make tvs with

i think i read somewhere that later this year LG no longer has the strangehold on OLED for whatever reason and other companies should start making OLED TVs soon too

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

I hope people don't think QLED is OLED.

OLED
QLED

lol

not from this distance your honor strikes again

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2018/01/prweb15050684.htm

quote:

Circuit City is set to announce official company relaunch at the 2018 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas on Monday January 8th at 3:00 PM PST during a special press event.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the 90s retro movement is getting out of control

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

poty posted:

not from this distance your honor strikes again

I'm trying to find the source for this. Apple vs Samsung?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

yup

LastInLine posted:

nuance/dragon voice rec is terrible

wait what when did this happen

they were the cat's rear end in two tho....oh i guess it has been a while

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

I'm trying to find the source for this. Apple vs Samsung?

iirc during the trial they asked the Samsung representation if they could tell which was a Samsung and which was an Apple and she said "not from this distance your honor"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

yup

wait what when did this happen

they were the cat's rear end in two tho....oh i guess it has been a while

remember how naturally speaking almost nearly worked about a decade ago? imagine it didn't improve any since then, but now siri exists

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

raccoon natural speed king

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

literally the first thing that comes up:

quote:

“A U.S. judge said that Samsung Electronic’s Galaxy tablets infringe Apple Inc’s iPad patents, but added that Apple has a problem establishing the validity of its patents in the latest courtroom face-off between the technology giants,” Dan Levine reports for Reuters.
“U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh made the comments in a court hearing on Thursday, but has yet to rule on Apple’s request to bar some Galaxy products from being sold in the United States,” Levine reports. “Earlier on Thursday, an Australian court slapped a temporary ban on the sale of Samsung’s latest computer tablet in that country. Apple sued Samsung in the United States in April, saying the South Korean company’s Galaxy line of mobile phones and tablets ‘slavishly’ copies the iPhone and iPad.”

Levine reports, “Koh frequently remarked on the similarity between each company’s tablets. At one point during the hearing, she held one black glass tablet in each hand above her head, and asked Sullivan if she could identify which company produced which. ‘Not at this distance your honor,’ said Samsung attorney Kathleen Sullivan, who stood at a podium roughly ten feet away.”
http://macdailynews.com/2011/10/14/...comment-page-2/

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

exciting news

this stuff is actually cool. fiber optic hdmi cables put an optical transceiver in each end of the cable and use fiber in between. the prices have fallen ridiculously fast.

an 18 gbps hdmi cable w/ integrated fiber costs $149 on amazon

for perspective, ethernet transceivers to do the same thing are about $300 each, and they don't include the fiber in between

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

because it wasn't profitable

manufacturers had a really hard time producing plasma panels in large sizes and high resolutions. since it was already more expensive than regular old lcd TVs, it had to dominate in high-end markets to exist at all. and it couldn't compete on size.

so plasma died.

oled, as it happens, has trouble with size, brightness, and resolution. gee i wonder what will happen to this emerging technology that requires high margins to survive but doesn't adapt well to large panel sizes?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i liked circuit city

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

samsung's "QLED" is a cynical attempt to create customer confusion and charge more for their middlin' edge lit lcd panels than actual oleds cost, in response samsung's high end marketshare is plummeting because hey making worse tvs and charging more for them isn't the best strategy

in unrelated news monster cable is still mad about beats and is still trying to create trendy headphones

pretty much everything else I've read from the show so far is:
  • wireless earbuds
  • smarthome garbage
  • alexa poo poo

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

:barf:

Guin
May 22, 2001

08:19AM PST - LG CLOi - a cute little interactive robot that talk interacts with you.

08:21AM PST - Little slip-up with CLOi on-stage, it didn't respond to David's request.

08:24AM PST - Quite disastrous presentation, the CLOi assistant totally stopped responding to the presenter.

https://twitter.com/dcseifert/status/950400129827139586
https://twitter.com/dcseifert/status/950408937559400448

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

a good sign when the product has more dignity than the presenter

poty
Jun 21, 2008

oh man i must be missing the lg keynote. thanQ for the heads-up

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

can we make this image the thread title?

quote:

As a prototype, the Puppy 1 doesn’t currently have important features like obstacle avoidance. Once it ran into people in its path, the bag just froze or began rolling into people and falling over. (After watching it tumble a handful of times, the outer shell does appear to be decently durable. The concrete kiss sounds are still hard to listen to, though.) If the bag is grabbed while it’s supposed to be following you or trips over, the remote buzzes and the bag alarms which could cause quite a pandemonium at a crowded airport. The Puppy 1 is also designed as a carry-on bag, which means it’ll also need to have a removable battery to make it past major US airlines’ requirements.
https://www.theverge.com/ces/2018/1/8/16861048/90fun-puppy-1-autonomous-following-suitcase-segway-ces-2018

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i missed the lg keynote but at least theyre cheering me up

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

poty posted:

i missed the lg keynote so i cant agree with their message here. in fact i feel its mocking me

I'm the designer who had to manually resize the apostrophe to make it bigger

poty
Jun 21, 2008

panasonic is live on cnet

i havent bought a single panasonic thing in my life

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

poty posted:

I've had a panasonic microwave for 12 years, needs suiting

they're going to announce tvs but they're using lg panels like everyone else

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

poty posted:

panasonic is live on cnet

i have a panasonic plasma television

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

remember how naturally speaking almost nearly worked about a decade ago? imagine it didn't improve any since then, but now siri exists

siri is nuance

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

siri is nuance

and still sucks but at least now it comes with your phone instead of spending $120 to poorly dictate word documents and emails

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Cortana works pretty well for me

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Panasonic made good stuff in the 80s and 90s. See: the Technics brand

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
yeah panasonic plasmas are god-tier televisions

gonna check out their oleds, even if it's just an LG panel (maybe they'll fix the image processing speed issues or whatever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

yeah panasonic plasmas are god-tier televisions

gonna check out their oleds, even if it's just an LG panel (maybe they'll fix the image processing speed issues or whatever)

sony makes an lg oled with an improved image processor, the a1e

they want a 100% markup over LG pricing for this

• Locked thread