Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

So Icey Seifuku posted:

Since this game has "perma-death" I wonder what occurs if you don't secure the bounty but also don't die.

Would it essentially allow for your hunter to continually live to fight another day but you'd receive either a substantially diminished reward or nothing at all, or over time would your character slowly succumb to some illness/madness caused by the "piece of hell" inside themselves due to their constant inability to secure the loot.

I didn't realize we had a thread for this already, I was planning to make one come Early Access but on this point in particular; you can extract at any time, with or without a bounty. This preserves your hunter (gear, character XP, bloodline gate progress) and gets you the XP and cash from any clues you got immediately. Since you have to earn a certain amount of XP before it gets banked to your bloodline, if you want you could farm mobs and clues and then extract.

The trick is that as the game is currently set up, unlike say DayZ or Tarkov, there's not a ton of incentive or reason to keep a hunter around for all 50 (their current per hunter cap) levels. This is all from stream watching, but guns are pretty lethal, even pistols will one shot headshot from close in, and a good repeater rifle is relatively cheap comparative to how much a bounty gets you. Since you're not extracting gear from people you've killed (at least currently, no idea on their plans there) it's basically all about getting enough XP to bank a bloodline gate and then you're home free to die and just buy another hunter and the gun you want. The permadeath is there and will definitely heighten the risk/reward and tension, but you're not really losing anything by dying aside from a little time, provided you're not complete poo poo at the game.

TL;DR - Right now it seems more like a session objective game that happens to have character permadeath than anything really persistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

:69snypa:

Let me know if there's anything critical I missed that you would have included, most of what I have is gleaned from streams.

I was mostly just waiting until mechanics and stuff were locked down, you've got everything I'd have put in there.

Zaodai posted:

I'll probably just play it like I play PUBG: Go in with the goal of ruining as many people's games as possible before I die.

Roll in as a hobo with a shotgun, blast some guy to deny him his fancy safe lootin' and XP, die from having revealed my position to a billion people.

One of the streams showed a break action double barrel shotgun for $4 and as of the last stream each clue was cashing out 10 or 15 bucks, so you could roll hip deep in shotguns forever. Dynamite is, understandably, somewhat more expensive.

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 18, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011
There will be at least one more stress test next week and they reopened the form for joining it, make sure you're in the official Discord when/once you sign up. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdG1ASqzXj_U3CTcQBTr76Duf01fUQFVepE982sCZvh4A5Qvw/viewform

Be aware that it is very much a stress test.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If you signed up for that second stress test wave it's starting today at 9AM PST/12PM EST/6PM CET, make sure you're in the Discord, talking or not.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Closed Alpha keys went, they're doing waves so the typical if you didn't get one this time etc. Anyone who signed up for those stress tests gets automatic continued access to the Closed Alpha stage.

Game good.

Orv
May 4, 2011

deported to Canada posted:

Yeah it sucks I signed up with a couple of emails and was poo poo out of luck. Devs aren't saying how long its on for which is a shame, I'm bound to miss it.

It's looking like multiple months before Early Access the way they've been talking. I don't know that everyone will get in but it'll probably be a decent portion of sign ups.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The official Discord turned into a massive shitshow today with people screaming at the devs about not getting keys. We could make a Discord of our own but that might be better served waiting until the EA launch.

Also be aware the game is pretty unoptimized currently and that's one of their major tasks before EA hits. If that bothers you in a competitive shooter you may want to wait.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I admittedly didn't see most of that, that thing has already taxed my patience for the last week so I just ended up muting everything but announcements and patch notes. Which I probably should have done in the first place, don't visit official forumsdiscords.

Orv
May 4, 2011

dogstile posted:

What's the ratio of walking to actually doing poo poo.

It depends pretty heavily on the match, as people are still frequently dying to mobs before entering PvP situations or farming some XP and getting out. That said, you can cross the entire map in about three or four minutes of constant sprinting, so you're never far away from clues/the boss/firefights.

Orv
May 4, 2011
More keys, homiez.

Orv
May 4, 2011
No idea honestly, but given the frequency, maybe?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ah yes, the fake closed alpha keys to build hype ploy.

:confused:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

can anyone tell me where to get easy anti cheat so I can play this? I went to the easy anti cheat website and can't find a download link. Game installers should really install this stuff automatically.

dang is there a config file somewhere i can edit so i'm not at super maximum ultra settings and 20 fps

It's in the Hunt folder under EasyAntiCheat.

And no, the performance you get is pretty much what you get for now.

This is a list of cvars you can use, but they only get you so far if your computer isn't running the game well (or at least better than that) in the first place.

r_motionblur 0
r_AntialiasingMode 0
r_SSReflections 0
r_TexMinAnisotropy 0
r_sunshafts 0
r_tessellationtrianglesize 1
r_sharpening 0
e_clouds 0
e_lods 40
r_ChromaticAberration 0
r_HDRGrainAmount 0

Orv
May 4, 2011

deported to Canada posted:

I'll second that, I signed up at the same time as about 14 friends on discord and so far I'm the only one who has got a key and I only got it tonight. Which may explain why matchmaking takes so long, and to think I moaned about Tarkov.

Barring playing at super unusual hours it's not the matchmaking that takes forever, it's the loading. There are plenty of people playing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bogart posted:

Is this necessarily a PVP game? I think I'd much prefer something closer to victorian fantasy Evolve.

Pretty much. The PvE is basically there to facilitate the players coming together to PvP.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Regrettable posted:

Yeah, this isn't true anymore. Just today I've hit 3 people with dynamite without killing them.

Depending on what kind of damage dynamite applies, Hornskin is now available and might be incorrectly reducing dynamite damage by 50%.

Or they just nerfed it. Both are pretty possible.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Double bounty mode is neat, though we had to go looking for PvP as everyone was being babies, the newly dangerous mobs killed everyone, or disconnects are still frequent enough to put us in fairly empty games.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Game is up on Early Access, $30.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lt_Tofu posted:

What happens when you run out of money?

If you sell all your weapons, tools and consumables and come up short of the cheapest available hunter, you'll be offered a Tier 0 hunter. They have a fixed loadout and after a certain amount of XP gained will promote to a Tier 1 hunter at which point you can adjust their loadouts.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My most successful solo/stealth runs (read: basically every one I don't die on) involve grabbing the clues as fast as possible while avoiding any and all mob aggro as best I can. Then I lurk around the boss area, waiting for people to present me with opportunities. Usually that's just sniping someone else who is creeping around but hasn't seen me yet, but as you get better you can typically go in, kill people fighting the boss and back out to let others try. Or let them finish and then deal with them.

Part of solo success is that the game is lousy with ways to gently caress people over without ever having to go near them or let them know you're there. Barrels, both explosive and fire, bullet penetration on wooden buildings (most of the boss buildings can be shot into) all add up to you having a huge advantage as a solo player if you survive past the initial clue stage.

Orv
May 4, 2011

w00tmonger posted:

If you use a consumable and survive does that consumable stick around?

Consumables do not, tools do and refill to max uses.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Hmmm, Montoya and I tested this back in closed alpha - perhaps they updated it? He definitely scored a barrel kill but we didn't get credit.

One of the last test patches fixed it, yeah.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They are supposed to be "period appropriate" scopes, so I doubt you'll be making sick 1,000 meter plus headshots, but we'll see.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Grognan posted:

Yeah this is going to be a flame out, they already got the cash. There isn't any subscription.

The gently caress are you talking about?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Studio posted:

How do Ts of mooks differ? I watched a stream, and I saw that T2s had better guns and abilities, but do they get anything else (Is there HP higher but represented with the same bars? Faster? etc.)

They get better starting gun access for less money, better perk and consumable/tool access, have more starting health, and look different. Generally by the time you're able to buy T2/3 there's little reason not to if you've been doing well. They're not a huge mechanical boost because you can kill anybody in the game with just about anything, but it's a bit of an advantage.

Orv
May 4, 2011

keyframe posted:

I thought the 5 min timer started when someone extracted the bounties. Do games have time limits? We were in a game for 1.5 hours yesterday and never saw the timer so how long were you guys playing that round?

The timer should be 25 minutes so I have no idea how you were in a round that long. Maybe they increased it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Commoners posted:

Banzai tactics work in this surprisingly well. If you just run at people with a vitality shot in hand, weather the bullets you take going in, and then machete chop/shotgun them there's almost nothing they can do short of landing a headshot on a lunatic sprinting at them.

I'm considering just going double-double barrel shotgun with quartermaster and just charging people like a lunatic for future hunters.

With how much people like using the sparks it makes it even easier to do this, because they won't one-shot you if you have more than 100hp (besides headshots, but they could do that with a pistol anyway), you can shoot up, eat their shotgun pellets, and then blast them. I'm curious how much damage the nitro does compared to the sparks.

The Nitro is a guaranteed kill on chest shots at any HP. Is that worth the money and the 8 total shots? Eh.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sard posted:

The Nitro is dumb and I hope they remove that aspect of it. This game will hemorrhage new blood fast if it develops into a scenario of old hands with Nitros and newbies who never get a chance to fight back.

That's already the case for fresh T1 hunters and the Sparks, which costs considerably less and comes with more rounds.

Orv
May 4, 2011
First content patch is out. Notes.

Highlights;
2 boss missions (very cool, give 'em a shot)
Random mission option
Spawn location selection, you can spawn in different locations, careful with that
Uppercut now $175

From Discord: Scopes next patch, fairly soon.

E: So apparently the patch hosed something and the precision pistols are missing from purchase. Not that I imagine anyone really gives a poo poo, since they're garbage, but they're rolling back the server, though seemingly not the patch.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 8, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Precision nagant isn't bad as a sidearm when you have a Tier 1 without quartermaster and you absolutely have to have a good shotgun

Eh, handcannons are perfectly serviceable and the Rival doesn't require Quartermaster.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Feral Integral posted:

Did the knuckle dusters get nerfed? Haven't been able to one punch any zombies in the head anymore :'(

Friendship ended with knuckle dusters, now knife is my best friend.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Amante posted:

Something I've been wondering about audio cues... if I hear a faint, single crow caw or horse whinny in the distance (i.e., I'm nowhere near them) is that 100% a player creeping around?

Seems like it but I'm not sure, and I could use every edge possible as a solo player to gauge how many people are left on the map.

Ambient non-alert stuff only plays fairly close, yeah.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It would likely take long enough that while people would not hear the gunshots from the fight, anyone who passed near the compound would hear the spider doing its combat screeches. Not a super great idea really.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Honestly the answer to safely soloing the spider is just to go in and do it. Even now, after the game has been publicly available for about a month, people still love to camp and never engage someone doing the boss. Obviously it's a bit of a crap shoot because there are people out there that just run around getting poo poo done, but a large majority of the player base is still skittish and over cautious. If you find the boss early enough, just go in and do it, if you can do it without dying. Chances are you can grab it, grab the token and just run all the way to a non-camped exit, since it's extremely hard to catch someone with even a marginal head start on you.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm continually wondering what level of quietness/lack of interaction is people doing dumb XP stuff or dying to dumb poo poo and what is just the matchmaking throwing up its hands. Hard to say.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm sorry?

I think it's the way she goes to the railing first that brought it to mind.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If two non-allied players are within proximity (30 feet, 40?) of an extract, the horses will make noise or the boat will start up. Basically if you're running to an extract and it starts making noise, you've either got a fight coming or run the other way. It's also a good indicator of if you're being chased once you get there.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I was very disappointed when I found out I couldn't permanently take guns from dead hunters. I hope that's on their to do list.

They've said it's part of the balance around not being purely focused on hunting and killing other people. They want it to be PvP*4vE not PvP then some PvE when you're done a-murderin'.

Which granted, I would also like to take some dumb fuckers stuff and shoot other people with it, but I don't think not being able to really detracts.

There's also the crafting system they have/had planned, not sure if that's still going to be a thing but there'll basically be a lot more incidental loot in the map that you can take out of hunts and then combine into things in the menus for your next one.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Obviously not with that kind of precision or sight picture but I have had engagements at just shy of that range not infrequently without scopes.

That said, if the fog weather option is available at all times, might be worth doing more often than not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's a good song. Sets the mood real well too, which is paramount for such a weird setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvd5Mrjq3jc