Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Man, picked this up not long ago, been running a pretty even split between randos and partners i know. Fun as hell either way (except when your rando partner is a moron who keeps running into grunts and dying).
Got my first Gauntlet Run today. We were just going to pick up the clue at the nearest camp to the spider we just killed for the cash, and that turned out to be where the butcher was. The fun part was then running 1/2 the map to extraction being hounded the whole way.
Also, unrelated, got my first "oneshotted with a perfectly cooked big bundle of dynamite by a rank 78 player".
There a specific discord for goons on this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I had this partner who's response to the banishing signal going up was to run full sprint to the boss area (we were only a couple hundred feet away perfectly silent), attempt to shoot/blast his way in through concertina and trying to shotgun out fusees, and die to a big dynamite bundle. all while yelling on voice chat.
some freakin people.
we could easily have just snuck in the other side and gotten the jump on them.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

Been trying the free weekend and I am enjoying it but good god is this games UI/menu system bad and man is there no tutorial and holy gently caress am I confused.

did you maybe try hitting the button on the main menu that says Tutorial?

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Zasze posted:

Pump shotty with bayonet supremacy

I ruined 3 bastards in a row (maybe 10sec apart) in cqc with that thing. and then the butcher for good measure.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

ha, no across the board

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

caedwalla posted:

More granular skill based matchmaking would be nice but I doubt the game's population can support it.

This is true. I feel that the 'gen pop' cut off being 33 is incredibly harsh. I dont consider myself a bad player at all but I know that if I'm in a game against multiple rank 100s I'm basically hosed no matter what. getting headshotted at 90m from someone you couldn't even see 5 games in a row just isnt fun.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Unless this is a very good Mosin Sniper - not sure why that would be happening. You're being noticed too often (making too much noise) if this is the case.

I had several games in a row against really good moisin snipers, really good lrr snipers, and one guy who kept pinging me with a nitro in the chest from 80m with unholy accuracy

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Decoys are easier to use. The throwing knife is really the most OP weapon in the game though as it's essentially a melee weapon that works with no stamina. I don't bother recovering my stamina as much anymore as I can always just pull out a throwing knife and short range throw even with zero stamina.

throwing knives are amazing. people have given me poo poo when they see me carrying them until i sprint through 2 zones silently taking out everything in front of me in one shot without even slowing down. they're really really accurate too if you get the arc down.
trick! if you see a hunter but can't get particularly close, open with a knife. you can have your gun out and readied by the time it hits, and you'll silently take a massive chunk off his health.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

For regular zombies, you don't even have to hit the head, just anywhere in the general neck area. Hives drop in two if you can't risk a headshot. A full-set plus a lantern is generally enough to knock down a fatboy.
4 takes down an armored. I honestly haven't tried them against a meathead though.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Although you do look like a massive tool if you keep whiffing your knives, they're really consistent and it doesn't take much practice to get good.
God, I feel like an rear end when i miss a knife. Especially if it flies into the water, not gettin that back. Often i'll comment to my partner how loving ashamed of myself for missing a knife. I somehow only miss then near point blank too. At 20m I'm a god-damned sniper with em.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

i swear if there is one weapon in this game i will genuinely call OP it's the fuckin dolchs. it just beats EVERY other sidearm.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

super simple fix.
killcams that engage only after permadeath. if you're solo or when your body is burnt or when you AND your partner die, then killcam becomes available.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

my partner and I managed to sneak up on a team fighting the spider kiting at the door.
we hear over the VOIP "Hey, I dont think we're alone" about 1.5sec before my concertina detonates behind them, sealing them inside the boss lair with a scream of "RUN!"
A flash bomb through the roof and my partner rushing in later, 2 dead hunters and 1 free boss.
God, I love this game.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

this one is probably gonna get some pushback but... decoys are awesome. imo required gear, and at $4 that's fine.
they allow you to (mostly) silently take out dogs and chickens by smacking that lantern above them at incredible distance, you can lure clue guards or water devils away, you can confuse a paranoid defensive hunter by making noises on all sides of them, and most amusingly, you can trigger mobs near sneaking people.
a single well placed decoy can trigger those dogs or hives someone is trying to sneak past, and they never blame you for it, they just assume they got too close. then you shotgun them in the back.
decoys guys, buy em, get good with em.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Dunno who would push back against decoys. They can only help you by taking them. The blankfires can setup some great ambushes as well.

I've seen alot of "decoys are useless" in gen pop

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I got into a churchtower fight with a vetterli, ended up taking down 2 encroaching hunters at the cost of my own life. last shot exchanged was headshot for headshot. bought my partner time to take down the boss cleanly and then come rez me tho. iron sights at 100m ain't easy.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

apparently when you select solo there will be a separate selection for "solo event". normal games will remain playable as normal.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Knifegrab posted:

Shotguns feel really inconsistent for me except for the long barrel romero. That thing is my workhorse.

I've literally shotgunned someone in the chest from 5 feet away with a doublebarrel sawed off and then watched him kill me. my partner was just as confused as I was how he survived.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

yeah I'm sort of thinking shotgun hitreg is just a freakin lottery atm

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I may have to switch to that. since patch the sawed off rival has been acting just god-awful in my hands.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Post your favorite "lol, why does this guy use in game voice?" moment.

"Hey, I dont think we're alone here."
*bomb lands 2 feet behind talking guy*

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I played 2 games of solo mode. That's how long it took to realize it was wildly unbalanced hot garbage. Nobody likes playing a game against 9 camping assholes.
If its gonna be perma-in, I'm gonna be perma-not-playing-that-mode.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I basically managed to fail at that same situation earlier today. I was literally 5 feet from 2 guys, behind them, moments after they downed the butcher, and perfectly clear los. Neither knew I was there. Whiffed my first shot entirely, chested the 2nd instead of head so it didnt kill him, whiffed the 3rd, got shot in the face with a sparks and died.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

At least 50% of my deaths are due to melee, and melee weapons are very powerful at every stage of the game. Guns like the Talon that give you a melee weapon and a gun in the same slot are almost always worth it, especially when you're in those early tiers. If there was a side by side with a bayonet or a bladed stock it would be the most insane close quarters weapon in the game.

there are shotguns with melee, they're either very good (see: Romero talon) or kinda total poo poo (see: spectre bayonet)
overall I'd say they're actually pretty well balanced.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

yeah, at <33 it only matches you with gen pop if your matchmaking timer goes all the way down. in gen pop matchmaking is pretty consistent.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

the big deal is neither clothes nor weapon choices. yeah those both matter, but the BIG thing is post-33 you're getting dropped into the general population. No longer are you against the other rank 25 player, now you're against a rank 84 with 17 prestige ranks.
There is no population splitting besides "under 34" and "not". That is why you suddenly get a difficulty curve like running face first into a brick wall.
If you get killed by anyone 100 or with prestige ranks, dont feel bad at all about it. because when you finally get that bastard back it is SO sweet. And you will, eventually.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I dont know where all these mythical avtos you are so angry about are. I havent seen one in probably 40 games. and that guy got his face murdered with a machete iirc.
simple situational awareness beats an avtomat every time. sneak up and Romero the dick. or stalk him and put a winny round through his skull when he holds still too long. or just follow him to the boss and then jump em midfight.
Frankly, these should be your engagement strategies no matter the enemy's weapon. Play to your strengths, don't whine about theirs.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Literally nothing in that list looks good except trainee mode. They're "fixing" the wrong things and adding a BR mode just makes me want to vomit. The point of this game is that it ISN'T just another stupid BR game.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

It's possible they will put their spin on it and it will be good, but mother of god that is a slim prayer.
The much better hope is there is a massive backlash against this terrible idea and they actually listen and trash it.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

the uppercut ammo was nerfed because it carries the same ammo as the moisin. this way if you're carrying an avtomat with an uppercut you only get 12 extra rounds, not 18.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

same reason they hit the vet. shares with dolch.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

its 100% trying to fix things from the wrong side. if your gun is too powerful the fix isnt nerfing the entire ammo pool, its nerfing the drat gun.
in the case of the avtomat it's really simple too. make it not a 2hit kill. it's a drat machine gun.
as for the dolch its stats are too high across the board. too accurate, too fast, too high damage.
nerfing the ammo pools on other guns to compensate for those 2 is downright retarded.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

It's like they composed this entire set of proposed changes while totally shitfaced. Up until now they haven't made a single decision I've been vehemently against, just occasionally stumbled in their implementation (water devils are a good idea, they are currently overtuned).
While I personally am not a fan of solo mode, there was a general positive response to it from the public, so implementing it as a true mode in the game made sense. Some of us just wouldn't play it.
This though... I literally can't follow their line of thinking on half these changes. (Or I can but it's so stupid it's utterly baffling)

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I have this sickening feeling that every avtomat bought by anyone in the whole community will end up in rotation from player to player until the end of time

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Yeah... I'm with Basticle on this one. I havent seen an avtomat in literally weeks (last time was when my partner said fuckit and pulled his out for shits and giggles)
I'm not denying the weapon itself is overpowered, but I played 2 dozen rounds yesterday and didn't see or even hear one as far as I could tell.
No idea how you're magically encountering them every game.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Big Dick America here

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

it's the reason they're changing how the matchmaking works with 3.0.
from what I understand players got sorted into games based on a rolling queue timer, with no logical splitting by the system.
So far argument's sake its 10 players per match. 61 people are queued simultaneously. when the timer runs out it starts 6 10-person matches and 1 1-person match.
with the updated matchmaking it'll split up the numbers so there'll be a few not-quite-full matches and far fewer empty matches.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Oh my god guys, the Winny Aperture is actually REALLY good now. I just gunned down 3 hunters in a row from an opposite riverbank while they fought over the bounty. My partner shotgunned down the other 2 and like that we'd wiped the map.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Yeah solo mode is just a camp game. even if you spawn on the boss and take it out and banish before anyone gets there, its 100% impossible to get to extract without meeting 5 snipers on the way.
The only way to win is figure out where the boss is, figure out the most likely extract route, and set up your own bullshit ambush.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I keep getting huge missing texture patches on the new map (like a 20m swath will just be this brown/green splotch) so obviously not all the bugs are out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

probably because quickplay sucks