Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Been trying the free weekend and I am enjoying it but good god is this games UI/menu system bad and man is there no tutorial and holy gently caress am I confused. Some questions:

-Are the weapons hitscan or projectile (i.e. do I have to lead my shots at range)?
-What the heck is dark vision? I realize that it shows the location of hints, and it also seems to show lightning over enemies who have collected a bounty? Why?
-How does the whole bounty system even work? I have found a boss monster but never killed it, but when other people do there is a slow progression in the top left of the screen as they are "banishing"... what?
-When should I extract? Currently I never have because I die. I am not sure when I should lick my wounds and just get out of dodge...

I really like the atmosphere and more methodical gameplay and am looking forward to the free weekend :)

edit: I checked the OP and second post and couldn't find this info there but maybe i missed it?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Rysithusiku posted:

did you maybe try hitting the button on the main menu that says Tutorial?

Just watched it, and unfortunately it only answers some of my questions.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Thanks guys. Is there anyway to cancel a melee attack once your have it charged and ready?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I am now 1.2K richer than when I started. Game is good.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Game is good

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Capn Beeb posted:

This makes me wonder if there's really any incentive to kill other players other than "ha ha take that random person!".

What does this post even mean. Other players can and will kill you, killing them first is self preservation. Plus then you get a completely stress free extract.

There are tons and tons of reasons to kill other players other than dunking on nerds.

Do you play this game when weird rules of engagement? Do you think that somehow makes you more honorable? "Now I won't shoot unless you shoot me first".

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

AndyElusive posted:

Then as you extract, the lone tier 1 hunter who has been laying in wait the entire game springs his trap.

If you confirm eight kills this is impossible.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Playing solo can be fun!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

New update is out on the test server: https://steamcommunity.com/games/770720/announcements/detail/1693804055921673970

Water Devil – Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water…. this update introduces a new special AI that will make wading through the Louisiana swamps a bit more of a challenge.
New consumables - Liquid Fire Bomb, Waxed Dynamite.
Badges for Rank and Prestige – Badges have been added to correspond with different ranks and prestige levels which will be displayed on the Bloodline screen.
Changes to Fire and Bleed Damage – Both fire and rending damage are less punishing, making it easier to stop them and also recover burning team-mates more reliably.
Endless Rank-up – Upon reaching max Rank 100 in the Bloodline, players can now continue to progress and unlock additional money rewards instead of Prestiging.

Those are the highlights but there are more, mostly sound like good changes/additions.

Not a huge fan of burning change.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So with the burn changes, how do I make someone unrevivable? Do I just have to burn them twice? Can I blow them up or shoot their downed body?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

The water devil is kind of disappointing. I mean I'll take it over no enemy water AI, but it really really should have been a croc.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

It's nothing like a battle Royale. If battle Royale has become synonymous with multiplayer that has more than two team sure but that is not what battle Royale is. Battle Royale is about a last team standing ideology but in this game you can extract whenever you want. In most games two to three teams can and will successfully exit the map. In theory you could have all teams exit the map. Not to mention the fact that this has heavy PvE elements, something most BR's are completely missing.

There is also no shrinking map, other than the monster fights which direct the confrontations but do not force them.

Calling this a BR game completely misses the point, diminishes, and honestly does a disservice to adequately describing this unique and rather awesome game.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

lol, jesus. It's a neat game but come on.

Name another game that is remotely like this game in tone, gameplay or atmosphere.

DayZ is like maybe the closest thing and honestly its not even close.

edit: What happens if the time runs out on a round?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 20, 2018

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Basticle posted:

you get nothing and your hunter is considered lost

I was in discord with my 2 buddies today and listened as they got to the extraction wagon with 15 seconds left.......and when the time ran out and they still had 5 seconds left on the extraction countdown they lost everything.

Brutal drat.

Someone raised the idea of the map getting more dangerous as time went on. And that was an interesting concept.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Holy poo poo you can shoot those hanging lanterns?!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Basticle posted:

Not only that but every chicken coop or dog pen has a lantern hanging over it :v:

This. Changes. Everything. How loud is that compared to those animals going nuts?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Mordja posted:

I don't think I've ever taken a hit from a Meathead, or even its leeches.

You are not supposed to be. Meatheads exist pretty much as zoners. A way to dynamically change where you can and cannot go. They are not a huge threat but they eliminate zones of travel, because to choose to fight them is a serious commitment. They are anchors not threats.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I love sneaking through dozens of zombies, two packs of dogs, 2 armored and 3 hives to find a meathead standing on top of my clue. It's the tits.

Find a different clue or get ready to fight ya cowardly yellow belly!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Basticle posted:

This is a long video but I'm proud of it because despite the fact that I suck and as previously documented I can't hit moving targets to save my life, I had two loving glorious headshots in this https://streamable.com/ca8s2

Post warning, incredibly loud obnoxious ear shattering scream at the end which makes the whole video annoying and not worth it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Basticle posted:

Shadowplay is a piece of poo poo and constantly resets the microphone record slider to 100% so I manually lowered the audio in certain places of the video to like 25% :shrug:

short version: :nallears:

Blame Hunt showdown, my headphone volume is so high up so I can hear those shots two settlements over.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I will never buy a gun more expensive than 200 bucks

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I maintain that the Romero hatchet is the best value weapon in the game and will fight anyone who disagrees.

I think with the changes to shotguns I prefer the Romero talon now

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I do not want killcams. I do not want a duo partner to know exactly where I was when I kill his buddy.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Not every game needs a kill cam lol

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Argument is probably moot anyway: https://www.huntshowdown.com/roadmap

Its not on the roadmap.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

AndyElusive posted:

If female hunters don't have as many models wearing doofy hats then I'll hire women over a male hunter everytime.

Part of the reason I hate so many of the lower cost hunters is because of their dumb hats and not their load outs or traits.

Whats it like living a life so wrong?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I demand more hats and no killcams!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

AndyElusive posted:

Feels good not having my head shot off as often as hunters with their dumb farmer hats, I'd imagine.

Hats are not part of the hitbox lol what

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm_JB1Igp5q/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1krpd2lbisani

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Basticle posted:

I wish this game had Siege's sound propogating. Its pretty annoying that sound (ESPECIALLY VOIP) travels through solid walls and like 50 feet of solid earth.

Check out the long term roadmap under audio:

"Improved occlusion system"

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I kind of feel like the dolch shouldn't be in the game, it feels so against the spirit of everything else. Or at the very least should use compact ammo or something not medium shot!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

eonwe posted:

is this actually worth $30 and hows the performance

Maybe but its definitely worth 15 bucks: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/...os_tile_index_2

edit: Huh it was 15 bucks looks like its 23 bucks now.

I have heard performance on lower end machines is rough. I play on the highest settings with a high-end PC and get a rock solid 100 FPS.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Had a game where we were playing it low and slow. Two bounties on the map and the spider got taken early. We decide to hang towards the butcher instead unfortunately it starts getting banished before we can get to it.

gently caress it, I say as I look at the map and notice the people who took the spider bounty are on a straight line to intercept us, except they didn't know where we are.

A brief fight ensues, and I get a nice headshot on one and my partner takes out the other one with a shotgun blast. We steal the bounties and book.

As we are sprinting away, we take fire, my partner is hit but not down and we manage to take cover in a caravan chock full of health and ammo.

We return fire while my shotgun buddy flanks. Using our dark sight hunter vision when we can. I land a few shots on a guy and notice he disappears, healing I assume.

I charge him with my machete and swipe him down, I hear my partner shout "He's behind you" and I quickly get downed with a machete hit.

My partner shouts hes rushing him and just as I start spectating him I see him deal a critical blow, though he is heavily injured.

I yell "HIVE" as I hear the sounds of the screaming witch but its too late, my buddy has no ammo loaded and is out of stamina.

He dies to the hive. All four of us are dead, there is no one left to claim the bounties.

I love this game.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Basticle posted:

Speaking of embarassing deaths

My 2 buddies were running as a duo and me as a solo, we synced up to the same game and ran as at trio

to set the stage: 1 of them was already dead and burned so he was just spectating. The other killed the spider while I ran overwatch. The 2 guys with the butcher bounty came up to fight him.

https://streamable.com/ruwh9

Please don't be a dickhead and queue team.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Does this game have mouse smoothing?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I straight hope you get banned.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The devs have said they'll allow people to make bargains and impromptu pacts and poo poo. 3 mans are so rare that I don't care. Every now and then I get lit by one and it's like "hahaha, gently caress you guys".

That is completely different from queue stacking.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

jones jabones posted:

I was just in a game where someone wanted to bargain.
https://clips.twitch.tv/CrunchyComfortableElephantTooSpicy
:siren:volume warning:siren:

This is cool and good.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Probably because he stinks and he's trying to justify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Glenn Quebec posted:

Yeah you're right getting 3 v 1 or 4 v 1 in a game like this is just a blast.

Now now, what could possibly be wrong with doing something that is a bannable offense and universally reviled in any other game that also utilizes this style of matchmaking?