Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The thread title is clever synonyms I guess.

Jet Li's Rise To Honor is a 2004 PS2 beat 'em up with a unique control style. All your face buttons are useless, hope you like your analog sticks and shoulder buttons! The gameplay is a bit simple but it's alright! The difficulty curves and lack of enemy distinction cause some frustration and some of the game mechanics are poorly implemented, but hey, I'll try to avoid getting too negative. I've played through recently so I'll manage! It's a fairly short kung fu adventure romp that tries to play like a movie. It kinda works! Plus I mean kicking people in the face never gets old???

Jet Li plays our hero, Kit Yun, a bodyguard/enforcer for a Hong Kong crime boss named Chiang. Events transpire that will take him from the waters of Hong Kong to the sunny shores of San Francisco, and then back again for a roaring finale! So please join me as we RISE TO HONOR!

Videos
1: Synchronized Laughing/Polsy
2: Shoot Time/Polsy
3: San Francisco Traffic/Polsy
4: Master of Stealth/Polsy
5: Falling Jokes/Polsy
6: Dockside Danger/Polsy
7: Infernal Medicine/Polsy
8: Mandatory Sewer Level/Polsy
9: Kwantified Suffering/Polsy

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I have played this game and enjoyed it despite the frustrating control schemes. I approve of your decision to LP it and will be following the thread. :D Hi-yah!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I had this game when I was younger. It gets stupid hard for a kid.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Is it me or did I hear that sound you hear at 1:01 (the end of the intro cinematic) somewhere else?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

When you punch a dude so hard his soul reverses.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I finished this game, what a nightmare. I do still love the shooting stuff.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Boy that sure is some translation.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Be sure to properly oil your guns so they don't go stale.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I've never heard of this one. Not surprising since I'm a PC-only kind of guy, so a PS2 game would have passed me by.

I like that a lot of the dialogue is in Chinese. That's unusual. Usually they just go for accented English.

Controls look terrible. This is a game that could have used a lock-on mechanic.

Now, why does this remind me of the Max Payne Kung Fu mod?

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
I rented this game back when it came out and when you could still rent games at Blockbuster. I enjoyed it despite the flaws. That is, until I hit a monumental difficulty spike.

painedforever posted:

Controls look terrible. This is a game that could have used a lock-on mechanic.

The fighting controls struck me as innovative. At the time, whether they were good or bad was open to debate. Now, it's easy to understand why the controls were bad. I have a feeling if this game came out now developers would have a better grasp on how to make innovative but player friendly controls.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Mr. Highway posted:

I have a feeling if this game came out now developers would have a better grasp on how to make innovative but player friendly controls.

That's also debatable. You still get racing games with floaty controls, you still get FPS games with unresponsive controls, you still get arcade games with really weird control set-ups. And terrible cameras. I still remember hating the camera and controls for LoK: Defiance after Soul Reaver 2, because the latter had really great controls, and the former was nearly unplayable (even though the combat was a lot better).

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's time to head to the docks for an exciting helicopter chase!

2: Shoot Time/Polsy

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I don't know if you mentioned this or not (and I couldn't make it out in the gameplay), but do you have unlimited ammo? There's no ammo counter, and I couldn't make out any reloading animation, so shooter sections are literally "shoot-'til-you-drop"?

Wasn't there a Chow Yun Fat game out at about the same era? Also had slow-down and dual-wielding and things?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yes, you have unlimited ammo. It'd get crazy later if you didn't.

The game you refer to with Chow Yun Fat is Strangehold. Great LP here.

MellowMushroom
Jan 5, 2018

If only they got the animals from Super Metroid to showoff the wall jumping mechanics. Now that would have made sense!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Yes, you have unlimited ammo. It'd get crazy later if you didn't.

The game you refer to with Chow Yun Fat is Strangehold. Great LP here.

Oh, thanks!

Stranglehold seems to be a straight-up Max Payne clone. Except not quite, because I think Max Payne was based on these Hong Kong movies made by John Woo, many of which starred Chow Yun Fat.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

painedforever posted:

Oh, thanks!

Stranglehold seems to be a straight-up Max Payne clone. Except not quite, because I think Max Payne was based on these Hong Kong movies made by John Woo, many of which starred Chow Yun Fat.

Max Payne was based on John Woo's movies and The Matrix (which itself was heavily based on John Woo's style, translated to a Western sci-fi style). Stranglehold is in a weird place because it came after both of those and may be unintentionally seen as aping them when in fact it's based on the originator.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
West Coat Best Coat, or so I have been told.

3: San Francisco Traffic/Polsy

e: Stranglehold is also a pretty cool game but I don't think I'll do much with that one. I think Max Payne took more from John Woo/Chow Yun Fat than from Jet Li though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"Goes on for too long" describes this game to a T. They're recreating every classic action movie scene they can think of, with some decent success I might add, but then they make you do them for a couple minutes longer than the novelty lasts. The cover may be awkward but the gun sections so far are short and punchy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think it’s really noticeable with the bikes. There’s not a ton of combat variety, so even when they add a new twist it goes on for so long that it either gets dull or stretches credibility.

I wish we didn’t have disappearing bodies so we could see the goons and motorcycles piling up.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I think that's the only part where enemies on motorcycles even show up. Kicking them off thus becomes a Level Gimmick instead of a new mechanic. That is both good and bad.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
I was one of those players who didn't know you were supposed to kick the people off their motorcycles. I just thought they were a stage hazard until no enemies spawned outside of them, several minutes after I should've known.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It keeps happening, every game I play has a stealth section/component.

4: Master of Stealth/Polsy

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
STEALTH!

I honestly don't know what is more comical; the pile of motorcycles at the end of the last level, silently bashing someone over the head with a trashcan or repeatedly swinging Michelle in to your opponents.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In case anyone was curious, "ho hing dai" translates as "Good brother" or "Good friend".

Also, Sung Lung is criminally underused.

Edit: Holy poo poo is that dude wearing basketball shorts over baggy sweatpants?

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 8, 2018

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Such a master of stealth that you can throw garbage cans at people and nobody notices.

Goddamn, other games should let you do that. It would make the stealth sections more fun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well, to be fair, the trash can was explicitly to make noise so the second guy would look at it.

Nice of the developers to work in that one scene from Romeo Must Die.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The ignominious end of William Soon.

5: Falling Jokes/Polsy

Alternatively: The Assassination of William Soon By The Coward Kit Yun

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I found Kit a new weapon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrJRSf55zsE

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Aw, Chi.

Well I guess I can add the gunfights to the things this game makes you do for way too long now. Nailguns don't have 3 minutes worth of novelty when you're just shooting the same things over and over.

Also the big wrenches are called pipe wrenches so I guess you're technically correct in that they don't make monkey wrenches that big :v:

I have no idea why someone made this video but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bltVBmVUYm4

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'll fully admit my shame in not knowing the difference between pipe wrenches and monkey wrenches. I don't wrench much.

I have finished recording everything for this game (it's kinda short). So there's that! I hope you are all enjoying it so far, the worst is yet to come! From here the game ramps up the difficulty pretty fast.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Who's ready for a difficulty jump?!?!

(it wasn't me)

6: Dockside Danger/Polsy

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I remember when I played this game it had English dubbing for all scenes if you want to flip it on. I understand why Scruffy is keeping the Hong Kong scenes in Catonese, but I wanted to point that out.

Next level is my favorite. :)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Scruffy, what's the greeting you're giving in each video?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

Scruffy, what's the greeting you're giving in each video?

I speak a bit of Mandarin, less and less with each passing year. I'm saying "Hello, friends!" The pinyin works out to nǐmen hǎo péngyǒumen, characters would be 你们好朋友们.

Granted, Mandarin may not be the best pick when the game is in Cantonese, but you've got to work with what you've got.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
There's a whole lot of RAT-A-TAT-TAT in the last half of the video, so be warned for volume I guess!

7: Infernal Medicine/Polsy

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Yay! Scruffy's one-liners are coming back!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
If the Evil Laugh didn’t expose her, the high heels should have. Nobody sensible wears high heels in a job where you have to be on your feet a lot. I’m surprised she could fight so well in them.

I mostly like this level for the Hard Boiled homages and the Nurse Boss.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I was disappointed to find that Buckethead never actually wrote a song about Jet Li. This is the closest I could get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL3tcDNZUiQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

You didn't have to stick to trash-based one-liners. You were in a hospital, and you did use a gurney. There were others that you could have done...

"Take a load off!"

"Good thing you're already at the hospital!"

"I'm the surgeon, and this is the operating table!"

"Hope you've got insurance!" (not sure if that would work in the context of Hong Kong)

(While breaking someone's leg) "Have a break!" (Follow-up comments about Kit-Kat optional, and depend upon sponsorship.)

• Locked thread