Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
There is a mandatory sewer level and it is the worst level in the game SURPRISE!

8: Mandatory Sewer Level/Polsy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Also? Stealth. Horrible, horrible stealth.

Stealth and sewers, two of the worst mechanics in action games.

It's also very dark. I've got my screen brightness on maximum, and I can barely make anything out. The only thing I can see if the health bar. It's not something you need to fix, I'd hasten to clarify Scruffy. It's the game.

Was it a relief when the fighting started, or was it just a turd?

See what I did there? I'm ashamed, but I couldn't help it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Not much to add except to say reiterate that this level sucks. I can't see why the developers thought this was fun but maybe they were just done by the point.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I kinda feel like I gotta apologize a bit for this LP, folks. It's an idea I had maybe a year or two back and finally got around to and it just did not hold up to the quality I was hoping to put forth. Rise to Honor is sort of an example of "neat concept, poor framework". The control scheme is a neat idea but the underlying encounters and everything are kinda stale. It's a neat kung fu movie if nothing else, but aside from the twin stick control concept everything else kinda sucks. It's not even a crazy neat kung fu movie. Also I couldn't work up the enthusiasm I was hoping to get, it turned into kvetching by the end and man I hate it when I do that.

Anyway! This is the final episode, and I'm already at work on the next LP which will have just a ~tiny~ bit more work put into it on my side.

9: Kwantified Suffering/Polsy

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
No apology necessary here, I enjoyed the LP as I do all your work. Ever thought of doing a Max Payne or Red Dead game? They seem your style.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Well, they can't all be winners. There isn't much to the game beyond the weird control scheme. And, I don't know, you'd think there'd be more to talk about since it has Jet Li's likeness in it... but then it's not like I'd watch his movies because he's a good actor. It's the action, and the action here is really boring.

I think the problem is that they didn't make it outrageous enough. With Jet Li in it, they could've done more of that stupid wire-work that was so in fashion at the time. Jumping up into the air, and having multi-hit combos, juggling enemies, flying through the air, doing that incredibly unrealistic running on tip-toes across the surface of water nonsense, all that...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah i can agree with that. This is trying to be Batman: Arkham Asylum way before the Arkham games, and it fails because it has no pizazz or real variety. The moves are too quick and weightless, the action variety is locked into boxes with no mixing. You have fight sections, shoot sections and stealth sections and they don't touch at all. It's like a plate of food for a six year old where if the peas touch the potatoes, it's too gross to be allowed. The cool team up mechanic is under utilized and the stealth is from the worst school of design.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 18, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Plus there’s no actual fight with the dirty cop. Even if it were hopeless for him it would have been nice to actually hit the guy a few times outside the cutscene.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
That was a ... thing. Not certain what it is, but it was a game.

I think it could have done better as a movie, with the pacing shown.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

What we're all trying to say Scruffy is "Well done, but there's only so much you can do about a game like this."

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Ah well. It was a fun memory wipe. Let's never play this game again. The next LP ought to be started either later today or tomorrow, I've got a bunch of background work to do. Look forward to ADVENTURE!

achtungnight posted:

No apology necessary here, I enjoyed the LP as I do all your work. Ever thought of doing a Max Payne or Red Dead game? They seem your style.

I hadn't thought about Max Payne but I've considered Red Dead. I've got Red Dead Revolver HD on PS4 but I've got no quality-acceptable way of recording Red Dead Redemption, with the PS3's HDCP issues and whatnot. Something else on the list of maybes and maybe nots :v:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
IMO Red Dead Revolver is way more fun than Redemption. Redemption has too many depressing stories and bs cougars jumping at you. The controls are challenging but if you can handle Rise to Honor- whose controls are worse...

Max Payne is a great game for the noir story, the lines (“Fear that gives men wings”, “I rate pretty high on police brutality”, “what do you mean- he’s unstoppable?”, etc), and of course the bullet time gunplay.

I suggested Red Dead and Max Payne because they seem to match your interests and play style. I look forward to your next LP, whatever it may be.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'd definitely be there for a Max Payne LP. I'm a huge, huge fan of the series and its styling and it's a big part of my childhood.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I think it might be time to revisit it. Baldurk did the last LP of it, but that was before the third Max Payne came out. Ooooh, and you could do the Kung Fu Mod (if that's still available).

I did love Max Payne though. I remember that I first played it on a friend's computer (he'd bought a refurbished Dell PC), and we'd take turns playing. I was the brash action hero, bursting through doors, bullet-diving everywhere, and he played cautiously, using bullet-time to snipe enemies.

Does anyone remember the very first trailers of it? It looked different back then, with rather more cartoonish enemies.

Also? No hit-scan. Every bullet was lovingly rendered and tracked. Glorious.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I always enjoy seeing the games that didn't quite make it so lack of enthusiasm or not I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's kind of fitting that you did that Dead to Rights callout during the fisherman fight, because on reflection, those two games are kind of alike, in terms of the schizophrenic gameplay. I can appreciate what they were gunning for, at least, and... did we get it a year later with Yakuza?

That franchise certainly picked up the idea and ran with it, either way.

• Locked thread