Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The thread title is clever synonyms I guess.

Jet Li's Rise To Honor is a 2004 PS2 beat 'em up with a unique control style. All your face buttons are useless, hope you like your analog sticks and shoulder buttons! The gameplay is a bit simple but it's alright! The difficulty curves and lack of enemy distinction cause some frustration and some of the game mechanics are poorly implemented, but hey, I'll try to avoid getting too negative. I've played through recently so I'll manage! It's a fairly short kung fu adventure romp that tries to play like a movie. It kinda works! Plus I mean kicking people in the face never gets old???

Jet Li plays our hero, Kit Yun, a bodyguard/enforcer for a Hong Kong crime boss named Chiang. Events transpire that will take him from the waters of Hong Kong to the sunny shores of San Francisco, and then back again for a roaring finale! So please join me as we RISE TO HONOR!

Videos
1: Synchronized Laughing/Polsy
2: Shoot Time/Polsy
3: San Francisco Traffic/Polsy
4: Master of Stealth/Polsy
5: Falling Jokes/Polsy
6: Dockside Danger/Polsy
7: Infernal Medicine/Polsy
8: Mandatory Sewer Level/Polsy
9: Kwantified Suffering/Polsy

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's time to head to the docks for an exciting helicopter chase!

2: Shoot Time/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
West Coat Best Coat, or so I have been told.

3: San Francisco Traffic/Polsy

e: Stranglehold is also a pretty cool game but I don't think I'll do much with that one. I think Max Payne took more from John Woo/Chow Yun Fat than from Jet Li though.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It keeps happening, every game I play has a stealth section/component.

4: Master of Stealth/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The ignominious end of William Soon.

5: Falling Jokes/Polsy

Alternatively: The Assassination of William Soon By The Coward Kit Yun

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'll fully admit my shame in not knowing the difference between pipe wrenches and monkey wrenches. I don't wrench much.

I have finished recording everything for this game (it's kinda short). So there's that! I hope you are all enjoying it so far, the worst is yet to come! From here the game ramps up the difficulty pretty fast.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Who's ready for a difficulty jump?!?!

(it wasn't me)

6: Dockside Danger/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

Scruffy, what's the greeting you're giving in each video?

I speak a bit of Mandarin, less and less with each passing year. I'm saying "Hello, friends!" The pinyin works out to nǐmen hǎo péngyǒumen, characters would be 你们好朋友们.

Granted, Mandarin may not be the best pick when the game is in Cantonese, but you've got to work with what you've got.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
There's a whole lot of RAT-A-TAT-TAT in the last half of the video, so be warned for volume I guess!

7: Infernal Medicine/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
There is a mandatory sewer level and it is the worst level in the game SURPRISE!

8: Mandatory Sewer Level/Polsy

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I kinda feel like I gotta apologize a bit for this LP, folks. It's an idea I had maybe a year or two back and finally got around to and it just did not hold up to the quality I was hoping to put forth. Rise to Honor is sort of an example of "neat concept, poor framework". The control scheme is a neat idea but the underlying encounters and everything are kinda stale. It's a neat kung fu movie if nothing else, but aside from the twin stick control concept everything else kinda sucks. It's not even a crazy neat kung fu movie. Also I couldn't work up the enthusiasm I was hoping to get, it turned into kvetching by the end and man I hate it when I do that.

Anyway! This is the final episode, and I'm already at work on the next LP which will have just a ~tiny~ bit more work put into it on my side.

9: Kwantified Suffering/Polsy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Ah well. It was a fun memory wipe. Let's never play this game again. The next LP ought to be started either later today or tomorrow, I've got a bunch of background work to do. Look forward to ADVENTURE!

achtungnight posted:

No apology necessary here, I enjoyed the LP as I do all your work. Ever thought of doing a Max Payne or Red Dead game? They seem your style.

I hadn't thought about Max Payne but I've considered Red Dead. I've got Red Dead Revolver HD on PS4 but I've got no quality-acceptable way of recording Red Dead Redemption, with the PS3's HDCP issues and whatnot. Something else on the list of maybes and maybe nots :v:

• Locked thread