Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I've never heard of this one. Not surprising since I'm a PC-only kind of guy, so a PS2 game would have passed me by.

I like that a lot of the dialogue is in Chinese. That's unusual. Usually they just go for accented English.

Controls look terrible. This is a game that could have used a lock-on mechanic.

Now, why does this remind me of the Max Payne Kung Fu mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Mr. Highway posted:

I have a feeling if this game came out now developers would have a better grasp on how to make innovative but player friendly controls.

That's also debatable. You still get racing games with floaty controls, you still get FPS games with unresponsive controls, you still get arcade games with really weird control set-ups. And terrible cameras. I still remember hating the camera and controls for LoK: Defiance after Soul Reaver 2, because the latter had really great controls, and the former was nearly unplayable (even though the combat was a lot better).

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I don't know if you mentioned this or not (and I couldn't make it out in the gameplay), but do you have unlimited ammo? There's no ammo counter, and I couldn't make out any reloading animation, so shooter sections are literally "shoot-'til-you-drop"?

Wasn't there a Chow Yun Fat game out at about the same era? Also had slow-down and dual-wielding and things?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Yes, you have unlimited ammo. It'd get crazy later if you didn't.

The game you refer to with Chow Yun Fat is Strangehold. Great LP here.

Oh, thanks!

Stranglehold seems to be a straight-up Max Payne clone. Except not quite, because I think Max Payne was based on these Hong Kong movies made by John Woo, many of which starred Chow Yun Fat.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

You didn't have to stick to trash-based one-liners. You were in a hospital, and you did use a gurney. There were others that you could have done...

"Take a load off!"

"Good thing you're already at the hospital!"

"I'm the surgeon, and this is the operating table!"

"Hope you've got insurance!" (not sure if that would work in the context of Hong Kong)

(While breaking someone's leg) "Have a break!" (Follow-up comments about Kit-Kat optional, and depend upon sponsorship.)

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Also? Stealth. Horrible, horrible stealth.

Stealth and sewers, two of the worst mechanics in action games.

It's also very dark. I've got my screen brightness on maximum, and I can barely make anything out. The only thing I can see if the health bar. It's not something you need to fix, I'd hasten to clarify Scruffy. It's the game.

Was it a relief when the fighting started, or was it just a turd?

See what I did there? I'm ashamed, but I couldn't help it.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Well, they can't all be winners. There isn't much to the game beyond the weird control scheme. And, I don't know, you'd think there'd be more to talk about since it has Jet Li's likeness in it... but then it's not like I'd watch his movies because he's a good actor. It's the action, and the action here is really boring.

I think the problem is that they didn't make it outrageous enough. With Jet Li in it, they could've done more of that stupid wire-work that was so in fashion at the time. Jumping up into the air, and having multi-hit combos, juggling enemies, flying through the air, doing that incredibly unrealistic running on tip-toes across the surface of water nonsense, all that...

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

What we're all trying to say Scruffy is "Well done, but there's only so much you can do about a game like this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I think it might be time to revisit it. Baldurk did the last LP of it, but that was before the third Max Payne came out. Ooooh, and you could do the Kung Fu Mod (if that's still available).

I did love Max Payne though. I remember that I first played it on a friend's computer (he'd bought a refurbished Dell PC), and we'd take turns playing. I was the brash action hero, bursting through doors, bullet-diving everywhere, and he played cautiously, using bullet-time to snipe enemies.

Does anyone remember the very first trailers of it? It looked different back then, with rather more cartoonish enemies.

Also? No hit-scan. Every bullet was lovingly rendered and tracked. Glorious.

• Locked thread