Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

:ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Oh dear

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Um, do you want to sit down for this?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Allarion posted:

Sasuga vostok

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Over the weekend I watched Devilman Crybaby and it owned so for my first movie I watched Amon: Apocalypse of Devilman. I guess this one was kind of a cheat since I watched it back when I was in high school, but that was over a decade ago and I didn't really remember anything about it other than I liked it at the time. High school me was apparently an idiot though, because this movie was terrible. The creature designs were bad, parts of it were a bit too gross even for a Devilman movie, and somehow it managed to be incredibly boring even though it was mostly action scenes. Tomokazu Seki voicing Ryo was pretty cool, though, too bad he only had about five lines and they were all in this terrible movie.

Anyway, gonna try to find movies that aren't bad for the rest of the year.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

movie 3: haguregumo. i guess some 'anime personality' mentioned this recently? cause i suddenly saw mentions of it pop up around. well doesn't really matter. this movie is from 82, and is based on a seinen manga that started in 73 and is still running. its a pleasantly oldschool sort of thing, that would star bill murray at his slackerest if it was a western movie. the 'hero' of the movie, while occasionally forced into a swordfight, really isn't interested in that sort of thing. he prefers lazing around and getting with every woman in town. outside of that he gives the sort of hard handed fatherly love to his kids that would get child protective services called on him asap nowadays. still, the upbeat soundtrack and the tom and jerry esque way it goes makes it fun enough to watch. as a whole its a nice bawdy family comedy. there's a moment where it radically changes visual style that feels very familiar and while i can't place who did it, it does make me curious. i would rec this to anyone who likes the sort of thing orphan subs puts out

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

movie 4: Arcadia of my Youth. a hub for the leijiverse which once ruled anime in both the east and the west, this massive 2 hour movie attempts to give an origin to the leijiverse. thus it incorporates parts of many of the various matsumoto series such as the cockpit, captain harlock, queen emeraldas, yamato and the galaxy express. despite its status as an origin movie, there's a lot in here that only an experienced leiji watcher would notice or care for. on the other hand, large parts of it directly contradict the very franchises it gives an origin to.

its length and pacing can also make it a tough watch. still its one i mostly enjoyed. all the various pet themes of matsumoto are on display here, a strong sense of individualism, the unique bond between warriors/soldiers, the eternal and powerful will men crushed beneath the feat of those more powerful than them display when resisting and so on. harlock had been the only major matsumoto franchise i had seen nor read anything off, so i can cross that off now as well. onto the next and someone please post some other interesting movies

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
movie 1: My Neighbor Totoro. I didn't plan for this to be the first anime movie I watched in 2018 as I was wanting to watch something a little more obscure for the thread but things happen. We were having a rough time with the kids and while we try our absolute best not to let them watch TV it was just one of those days. So I put Totoro on for like 30 minutes before they went to bed and then finished the rest of it by myself afterwards.

I was a little worried my kids were gonna be scared of Totoro because of his gigantic tooth filled grin but it didn't bother them, the same goes for the cat bus. I kinda like that that creepyness is there to say the least but I feel bad for any little kid that watches this and gets legit scared. One of my kids laughed his head off the entire time and the other one just seemed absolutely entranced by it. I'm really looking forward to when they're actually old enough to sit through the entire thing and follow what's going on but that's at least a year away sadly.

Personally I really enjoyed it. One thing I really liked was that I got the impression the dad believed his kids from the beginning which is refreshing. I'm tired of kids movies where the kids see something fantastical and the parents just blow them off or demand proof. The animation is superb obviously and all of Miyazaki's trademark whimsy is there. I think I'm probably too old for Totoro to really work it's magic on me which is sad because I can tell it probably would've left a lasting impression on me had I seen it as a kid.

I'm probably going to end up watching quite a few Miyazaki movies this year as there's quite a few I haven't seen yet and I'm kinda in the mood for watching his films after finishing Future Boy Conan. However in the spirit of the thread I think I'll try and hold off for awhile.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 11, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

movie 5: gdgd Fairies Movie: tte Iu Eiga wa Dou kana...? long have i suffered, having been unable to watch the movie followup to the masterpiece comedy series that is gdgd fairies. lesser series have been subbed by 50 different subbing teams while this has laid unsubbed for 4 years. TODAY my suffering ended. in this epic adlibbed journey our heroes find out what truly matters in life, friendship. a wise lesson that anime has thus far refused to tell us. in this they get assisted by the members of idol group 'denpagumi.inc', kenshiro from fotns, a shoujo i dont recognize and a whole bunch of others. featuring epic cgi action scenes never seen before in anime, a thrilling story, tearful sacrifices and a hippo. this is one movie you can not miss, out in cinemas september 2014!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

i had to watch it in two sessions because my ceiling collapsed but I have finally finished Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo. im sure most people here have already seen it but drat what a fine film. now im stuck hoping 4.0 arrives before i die.

the animation and backgrounds were fantastic and the fight choreography was on point. i wish it didn't feel so incomplete, but i get that when this movie was released, 4.0 was expected to be out within 3 years. it's incredibly unfortunate that we ended up in a situation where the sequel needed to resolve everything is delayed with no ETA, but poo poo happens. also asuka's support gunner lady didn't get any kind of character arc or depth, which is sad.

big rip to kaworu, who was too gay for this earth

List:
1. Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike
2. Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
So I watched The Cat Returns today. It's a small, quick, easy to digest film with an easy to understand message of having confidence in yourself, all while being treated to fun characters in a neat little fantasy adventure, and a couple of great bits of animation near the end the scene where they were falling out of the sky and a staircase of crows breaks their fall was freaking gorgeous. Perhaps the spontaneous change in Haru's nature towards the end is a bit jarring as presented, but it kinda flows from the experiences she went through, at least in a leap of logic sort of way, and it definitely gives more weight to the messaging of the film, so it works in my opinion. A solid movie i'd recommend to anybody really.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I finally finished all of the Mamoru Hosoda original filmography by watching The Boy and the Beast. This movie turned out to have far more complexity and depth than I thought it would. I thought this would be an action oriented sports-ish coming of age story. Instead, it turned out to be a wonderful and heartfelt reflection on family. Knowing Hosoda's work so far, I really should have expected it. That said, this is an absolutely entertaining movie with great characters and great drama. The few fight scenes in the movie are all fun to watch, but it's obvious that the action scenes aren't the point of the movie. Overall it's not my favorite Hosoda movie - that's still Wolf Children - but it is definitely one of his better ones.

Time to wait for his next movie.

List:
The Boy and the Beast

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

4.0 is never coming out and you've all been trolled by Hideaki Anno.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I think most of us are fine with that, we already saw the ending. :shrug:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

movie 6: Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters : bad writing, direction reminiscent of a ps1 fmv cutscene, terrible cgi visuals and the art design of an xbox1 halo make this a pass for anyone who doesn't jack off to godzilla

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, you mean not everyone masturbates to godzilla? this is very troubling.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

movie 7, still winning this race: What's Micheal 2: the beloved micheal returns for his second movie. in this chapter the skits parody baseball, wrestling, husband-wife relationships and the movie 'the fugitive'. i found the first ova a bit more entertaining, it had shorter skits that had a bit better tempo to it but there's a few very charming skits in here. anything dealing with micheals family situation is both amusing and rare in anime. its lowpoint is the 3 part the fugitive parody, which besides the innate weirdness of the parody really only has one joke.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Movie 2: Voices of a Distant Star.

I know it's only 25 minutes long but I'm going to include it anyway. I let out a verbal: "Oh No!" when I realized there was going to be a lot of bad CG but there's actually a few really impressive shots and the story was decent enough so I got over it pretty quick. The basic plot is that a couple is separated when the girlfriend is drafted to go fight the terrans/space monsters a few light years away kinda like in The Forever War. The only way they can communicate is by texting with early cell phones that are apparently capable of sending information light-years away but unfortunately at a snails pace. At first the texts take only a few days to reach their destination, then a few weeks, then years as they grow further apart. The boyfriend has to wait seven years after high school to receive her last text.

As much as I like the premise I feel like this is something that I would've enjoyed more had it been longer, maybe another 15-20 minutes, because when we finally get back to the boyfriend character seven years later he just doesn't seem to have changed very much. I mean he's obviously grown up but it just feels like the only thing he did over those seven years was get and apartment and wait patiently for that text. As romantic as that is I think it would've been more interesting had he forgotten, maybe not completely but at least a little bit, maybe he met someone else or just got caught up with real life. Seven years is a long long time at that age.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 19, 2018

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I neglected to post after my first movie so here are the first two movies I watched:

Since it was (almost) the season my first movie of the year was Tokyo Godfathers. Everything I had heard about this movie was in the style of "unlike all of Kon's other movies this is a fun comedy", so with that in mind the movie was a lot darker than I expected, dealing with homelessness, guilt and suicide among other things. That said though the moments of levity were quite funny so I can see where they came from. The way more and more unlikely and incredible things kept happening reminded me of a movie I saw last year "the night is short, walk on girl", though they used that for different purposes. The one thing that left me feeling unsatisfied was the end of Miyuki's arc, where I wish we had gotten to see a little more.

Continuing on with Kon the second movie I saw was Paprika. Someone told me before I saw it that it was the least necessary of his films, and in a way I agree. The first half presents itself as a kind of crime thriller, but due to how the movie switched focus it feels underdeveloped and the mastermind's identity is pretty obvious right from the start. I loved how the movie used dreams to create really cool surreal imagery, but since the dreams didn't really have any kind of internal logic, and not spending enough time with the characters to derive any kind of symbolic meaning (with the exception of the police officer, who's arc was excellent) they ended up feeling less like a sequence of events I could follow and more a series of things that happened.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I just watched Sailor Moon R The Movie. I've never seen any Sailor Moon stuff so I didn't know what to expect here. My main complaint with this movie is that it doesn't do a good job of being a standalone movie that people unfamiliar with the series would appreciate. The characters don't develop at all, they just get introduced and then they do their thing. It's just an extra long episode of whatever TV show it's drawn from (I assume the R denotes a particular incarnation of the franchise). Based on this one viewing, I would say this is actually a bad place to start someone off with the franchise, as it doesn't provide any reason to care about these characters. But if you were already a fan, I could see this being an enjoyable long episode.

List:
1. Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike
2. Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo
3. Sailor Moon R The Movie

I've been away from my movie duties for a week and a half because of a collapsed ceiling but hopefully I can continue in earnest now!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

VostokProgram posted:

I just watched Sailor Moon R The Movie. I've never seen any Sailor Moon stuff so I didn't know what to expect here. My main complaint with this movie is that it doesn't do a good job of being a standalone movie that people unfamiliar with the series would appreciate. The characters don't develop at all, they just get introduced and then they do their thing. It's just an extra long episode of whatever TV show it's drawn from (I assume the R denotes a particular incarnation of the franchise). Based on this one viewing, I would say this is actually a bad place to start someone off with the franchise, as it doesn't provide any reason to care about these characters. But if you were already a fan, I could see this being an enjoyable long episode.

what

why

why did you do this

the sailor moon r movie isn't made to be an entry into the series, it's meant to draw on you knowing two full seasons of character development

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Colonel posted:

what

why

why did you do this

the sailor moon r movie isn't made to be an entry into the series, it's meant to draw on you knowing two full seasons of character development

blame squark

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
vostok if you watch the heartcatch precure movie next devoid of context of the show i'm going to cry

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It’s okay, srice has already abandoned this thread.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Colonel posted:

vostok if you watch the heartcatch precure movie next devoid of context of the show i'm going to cry

i do plan to watch the precure show someday. someday...

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Droyer posted:

I neglected to post after my first movie so here are the first two movies I watched:

Since it was (almost) the season my first movie of the year was Tokyo Godfathers. Everything I had heard about this movie was in the style of "unlike all of Kon's other movies this is a fun comedy", so with that in mind the movie was a lot darker than I expected, dealing with homelessness, guilt and suicide among other things. That said though the moments of levity were quite funny so I can see where they came from. The way more and more unlikely and incredible things kept happening reminded me of a movie I saw last year "the night is short, walk on girl", though they used that for different purposes. The one thing that left me feeling unsatisfied was the end of Miyuki's arc, where I wish we had gotten to see a little more.

Continuing on with Kon the second movie I saw was Paprika. Someone told me before I saw it that it was the least necessary of his films, and in a way I agree. The first half presents itself as a kind of crime thriller, but due to how the movie switched focus it feels underdeveloped and the mastermind's identity is pretty obvious right from the start. I loved how the movie used dreams to create really cool surreal imagery, but since the dreams didn't really have any kind of internal logic, and not spending enough time with the characters to derive any kind of symbolic meaning (with the exception of the police officer, who's arc was excellent) they ended up feeling less like a sequence of events I could follow and more a series of things that happened.

It's a good watch for even more things western directors plagiarized from kon

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

VostokProgram posted:

i do plan to watch the precure show someday. someday...

vostok please don't tell me you're actually going to jump straight into the heartcatch movie

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Colonel posted:

vostok please don't tell me you're actually going to jump straight into the heartcatch movie

i'm actually going to jump straight into the heartcatch movie

i'm not, i wouldn't do something like that deliberately. only reason i watched this sailor moon movie is because a friend told me to

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

VostokProgram posted:

blame squark

Hmm...I'll blame you instead.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

It’s okay, srice has already abandoned this thread.

I have been busy as heck but not so busy that I haven't been watching movies! I'll make my effortpost, when I'm not drowning in work.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Colonel posted:

I did this and it did enough for me to get the deal with the cast!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Srice posted:

I did this and it did enough for me to get the deal with the cast!

Time to kill srice

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

To get to Srice you'll have to go through me first!

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
movie 1: 5 Centimeters Per Second

So after I saw Your Name in theaters and loved it, I got my hands on this and decided to watch it eventually. I finally did and...it was not very good. I wasn't expecting the episodic format, and none of the characters felt likable at all. Some of the situations felt relateable, but the characters didn't. I felt no connection to any of them. I feel like I missed something? I did not enjoy this movie.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Xinder posted:

So after I saw Your Name in theaters and loved it, I got my hands on this and decided to watch it eventually. I finally did and...it was not very good. I wasn't expecting the episodic format, and none of the characters felt likable at all. Some of the situations felt relateable, but the characters didn't. I felt no connection to any of them. I feel like I missed something? I did not enjoy this movie.

Yeah, that's Shinkai all right.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
but...Your Name was legitimately good???

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
this weekend, I'm either going to watch Kizumonogatari 3 for my January movie, or get drunk and rewatch Fast and Furious 1

wish me luck

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Xinder posted:

but...Your Name was legitimately good???

It's the Shinkai anomaly where he actually gave them a conclusive happy ending rather than the ambivalent ones he puts in all his other movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Xinder posted:

5 cm/s sucks and there's a 5 minute epilogue thing or something i watched afterwards that does a better job of getting the theme of the movie across in 1/10th of the time

fake edit: it's called one more time, one more chance and it's a music video and lol