Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Confirming you'll get more enjoyment out of the movies if you watch the Early Days OVA first. It's great and only 7 episodes.

Patlabor the Movie 1 feels like a serious finale to the OVA. A good mystery plot followed up by some awesome mecha fights and action. Even the slow parts are pretty:

https://i.imgur.com/KEoIwXn.gifv

Patlabor 2 is a lot slower, full of talking and philosophy and politics, but still excellent. And when there is mecha animation, it's really nice:

https://i.imgur.com/96Blx8k.gifv

Patlabor 3 is not actually a Patlabor movie. It's a 90's sci-fi/horror monster flick with a small cameo from the Patlabor characters. Only worth your time if you really like cheesy B sci-fi/horror movies, but at least it's decently animated. It's about as "mecha" as the movie Aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Oh man, gritty yet smooth as butter not-CGI mechs is my favourite anime aesthetic. I may join in as I've fallen off the anime boat the last little while and only really been reading manga, but when poo poo looks that good then yeah, I wanna watch it.

Cool! but . . .

GorfZaplen posted:

That scene is the last time you see a mech for two hours

This is sadly only a slight exaggeration. Patlabor The Movie (1) has a lot more actual mecha and combat, and the animation is still very nice while not quite on this level.