Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I'm hoping to buy a house in the next 1-2 years, but there isn't much inventory where I'm looking. I currently have the planned downpayment in cash, but I figure there has to be something smarter I can do with it. My criteria are:
1. I can pull the money out if/when I do find a house I want to buy
2. Not particularly risky short term. I don't want to put this in the stock market and potentially take a big hit if I won't have it in long enough for the ups and downs to average out.

It looks like there are a few savings accounts that offer a bit over 1% interest, is there anything else I should be checking out?

I took a quick look through the open threads and didn't see anything on this, but if I am duplicating an existing question let me know and I'll close/delete this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
a certificate of deposit might suit you, but they do come with penalties on accessing the funds early.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/certificateofdeposit.asp

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bitcoin is where the game is at.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819120

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

That's what I need, something that's both a bad long term *and* short term investment.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I hear tulips are making a comeback.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
sorry to seriouspost, but basically, you're not going to find what you want.

To get meaningful returns for your money, you're going to need to trade off some combination of risk, time, and liquidity. "I'll lend you some money, but I get to take it back whenever I want, and it'll probably be soon, and you need to pay me quite a bit" is not a great set of terms.

A "high-interest" savings account isn't much but it's probably your best option.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ally has 11-month no penalty CDs. They were recently at 1.75% but it's down to 1.6%. It's probably going to go back up so you can just open and close them at will to get the higher rate.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You're gonna be stuck in a savings account. Go online and look for banks that are offering a coupon for opening savings accounts with a certain dollar amount and pick the one with the best rate from those. If you're just keeping it around for less thana year you may be able to find somewhere that will give you a few hundred for keeping the funds in there for 6 months.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Space Gopher posted:

sorry to seriouspost, but basically, you're not going to find what you want.

To get meaningful returns for your money, you're going to need to trade off some combination of risk, time, and liquidity. "I'll lend you some money, but I get to take it back whenever I want, and it'll probably be soon, and you need to pay me quite a bit" is not a great set of terms.

A "high-interest" savings account isn't much but it's probably your best option.

Solice Kirsk posted:

You're gonna be stuck in a savings account. Go online and look for banks that are offering a coupon for opening savings accounts with a certain dollar amount and pick the one with the best rate from those. If you're just keeping it around for less thana year you may be able to find somewhere that will give you a few hundred for keeping the funds in there for 6 months.

That was kind of my thought too. I'll check out savings accounts and no-penalty CDs.

It's too bad the housing market is such a shitshow right now, I'm wondering if I should just try and wait for the next downturn.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

DeadlyMuffin posted:

That was kind of my thought too. I'll check out savings accounts and no-penalty CDs.

It's too bad the housing market is such a shitshow right now, I'm wondering if I should just try and wait for the next downturn.

Bitcoin.

Or just put it all on black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
My credit union has a 2.5% interest bearing checking account up to 20k$.

• Locked thread