Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Last month's theme was The End in which I ended the part of my life where I had never won anything, with this picture:

... which I basically only got because a lot of horrible things happened to other people. So, you know, some winners, some losers, whatever.

This month's theme is The Beginning. Whether it be the beginning of the year or the front of your dog (no cats, I hate cats), anything goes (NSFW rules still apply). Just submit something- I have fun with these contests and don't want to see them die!

RULES:
This thread is for posting pics & voting.
1. One submission/poster. Note that you can change your submission as many times as you want, so long as you only have one entry when the voting begins! Edit your post to do this, please.
2. Single photos only - no video, triptychs, or multi-photo entries. Blending exposures into a single image (such as focus stacking, or HDR), is ok though.
3. Photos must be taken during the period of the contest. No pulling out old favorites!
4. Contest will be open until the last day of the month at 11:59 p.m. EST after which voting will begin.
5. Voting will continue until some time after that, probably around midnight of the 2nd.
6. Also, I guess no :nsfw: images? If someone has a kick rear end NSFW idea, i dunno?
7. When voting, please deploy the spoiler tag.

I or SoundMonkey reserve the right to change the rules in case I missed something really obvious that probably won't affect anyone.

Winner picks the next theme, and makes the new thread!

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Looking Forward
by Kenny Logins, on Flickr

Further to the question in the DR Rules & Suggestions thread, I'll skate and provide a little additional info: I decided to try the Dogwood 52-Week Photography Challenge to push my growth a bit as part of my NY resolutions. Pretty handy that PP provides a calendar .ics which makes keeping track of it pretty easy.

This photo of my 6-month old daughter was for the first week which has the same rough theme as this month's contest. I took it yesterday as it was her first day in a high chair and one of the first times she's eating solid foods. She's intently watching my wife prepare her cereal off-camera. The "bomb cyclone" outside provided what I felt to be a cool dramatic light once I flipped off the kitchen light. Hopefully it's Not Just Another Baby Picture but sowhatwhocares.

If, for some reason, the extra info is unwanted, let me know. I hope we can try this; much like President Beep had said, a lot of these contest threads' entries leave me wanting to know more.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 5, 2018

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

Morning Milk by Robert Ashbaugh, on Flickr

The beginning of my day. If I squint, I can see a fetus shape in the milk.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hah, I was attempting a similarly themed shot yesterday:

Reflections are killing me tho.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Losing The Game

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Wildcat Canyon picnics over-1849 on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Library in the Predawn Mist
by President Beep

I think this is kind of neat picture, but why I really chose it for my submission is because it represents a level of planning I've not put into my shots before. I drive by this library every day on my way to work, and I've always liked how the spotlights back lit the weird, conical parts of the building on misty mornings. As the days have been getting longer, however, this effect disappears earlier and earlier in the day, so I had to get my rear end out of bed early to attempt this shot. To boot, we haven't had any foggy mornings for a while now, so I've been watching the weather and patiently waiting for the right day.

As I continue to improve and learn, I think I'll be trying this composition again some day--there's definitely some unrealized potential here.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I heard you didn't like cats

Zank Frappa
Oct 16, 2006
Freak me out Frank.

Essential Hand Luggage by Cantebury Nz, on Flickr

Packing for the beginning of a journey

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

In terms of theme -- you'll have to trust me that there was a second Great Grey in the area because the pair were beginning their mating rituals.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

It's the beginning of another year of me taking trash rear end photos

P1310020.jpg
on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Art is dead hail satan

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Mr. Despair posted:

Art is dead hail satan

You just did meta-art.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

It's the beginning of another year of me taking trash rear end photos

P1310020.jpg
on Flickr

InternetJunky posted:

In terms of theme -- you'll have to trust me that there was a second Great Grey in the area because the pair were beginning their mating rituals.

Soulex posted:

Losing The Game

Losers:

Zank Frappa posted:

Essential Hand Luggage by Cantebury Nz, on Flickr

Packing for the beginning of a journey

Mr. Despair posted:

I heard you didn't like cats

Vote with Spoilers, will tally Midnight Eastern tomorrow (~35 hours from right now, this post)

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Zank Frappa

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Soopafly

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
RJWaters2

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Soopafly

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

InternetJunky

Zank Frappa
Oct 16, 2006
Freak me out Frank.

RJWaters2

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
InternetJunky

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

InternetJunky

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
soopafly

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Prez Beep

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
internet junky

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
soop

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
internetjunky

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

soup or fly

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

President Beep posted:

InternetJunky

jvick posted:

internet junky

Soopafly posted:

internetjunky

Soulex posted:

soup or fly

Syrinxx posted:

InternetJunky

Kenny Logins posted:

InternetJunky

RJWaters2: 2
InternetJunky: 5
Zane Frappa: 1
Soopafly: 5
Prez Beep: 1

Tie breaker has to be: I dropped the ball and the last vote for Soop didn’t count - so InternetJunky wins!

i dropped the poo poo out of the ball, sorry folks.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Cool, thanks for the votes.

I'll go post a Feb thread now.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

Cool, thanks for the votes.

I'll go post a Feb thread now.

Congrats. That owl pic kicked rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

A Superb Owl

• Locked thread