Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Guardian posted:

José Mourinho turns on Paul Scholes after Paul Pogba shines at Everton

• Manchester United manager riled by criticism of Frenchman at Southampton
• ‘Scholes will be in history as a phenomenal player, not as a pundit’

José Mourinho vented his anger on Paul Scholes in the wake of Manchester United’s 2-0 win at Everton, accusing the club’s former midfielder of being jealous of Paul Pogba’s wealth and of failing as a pundit.

United produced a dominant second-half display at Goodison Park to record their first victory in five matches thanks to superb goals from Anthony Martial and Jesse Lingard. The visitors were inspired by Pogba, who was heavily criticised by Scholes following Saturday’s goalless draw at home to Southampton, and Mourinho took the opportunity to return fire. He claimed several former United players turned pundits were driven in their criticism by an unfulfilled desire to have a job back at Old Trafford. And he reserved his fiercest condemnation for Scholes.

“Maybe I will be lucky this time and the kings of rock and roll who said I was under-performing last match will now say I’m performing,” the United manager said.

Turning specifically to Scholes’ criticism of Pogba, Mourinho added: “I think the only thing Paul Scholes does is criticise. I don’t think he comments, I think he criticises, which is a different thing. Not every one of us has to be phenomenal like he was as a player. That does not mean we all have to be phenomenal.

“Paul [Pogba] tries to do his best all the time. Sometimes he plays very well, sometimes he plays well, sometimes he doesn’t play so well. It’s not Paul’s fault that he has made much more money than Paul Scholes. It’s not Paul Scholes’ fault either, it’s just the way football is. I think Scholes will be in history as a phenomenal player, not as a pundit. I prefer to look at him as a phenomenal player that gave so much to the club that I am proud to represent.

“If Paul one day decides to be a manager, I wish that he can be 25% as successful as myself. 50% of that is 12.5 silverware, 25% is around 6. If he’s 25%, he’ll be quite happy.
In my mind Paul Scholes is a phenomenal player, one of the best I’ve ever seen playing in midfield. He gave so much to my club that I can only thank him for that. The prestige of this club is based on people like him.”

Mourinho also suggested that several former United players have an agenda against his team as they long for a return to the club, something he is not prepared to accommodate. “I think they would love to be here,” he said of the many former United players in the media. “They would love to be at the club and that’s a problem I cannot resolve.”

oliwan fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I can't decide who of Scholes, Mourinho or Pogba is the bigger oval office in this situation.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

I can't decide who of Scholes, Mourinho or Pogba is the bigger oval office in this situation.

it's the one who has his own emoji

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Gigi Galli posted:

it’s always Mourinho

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Luckily I make more money than Mourinho so I can continue to make fun of him.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Scholes has probably won that many honours as a PLAYER ffs
What is mourinho thinking the absolute spastic lmao

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Gigi Galli posted:

pogba and scholes didn't really do anything wrong and jose is clearly the piece of poo poo based on this article :confused:

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Bape Culture posted:

hes cracking up imo

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Well aware of the issues he has with his squad, Wengy has signed some Greek child, who will immediately go out on loan.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Bape Culture posted:

mourinho appeals to the ultimate team retards

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
So how are united fans defending this latest mourinho meltdown?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

oliwan posted:

So how are united fans defending this latest mourinho meltdown?

They are at the best league position and playing their best football since SAF left I guess :shrug:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Looks almost a done deal this time. Reddy is pretty solid.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/948876954173870080

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Thomas Lemar for too much money (€90m) seems to be Liverpool's replacement plan.

Can't help but think they could get Pulisic for that given Dortmund's managerial changes and suchlike

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Lemar and an actual goalkeeper would be nice.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Diva Cupcake posted:

actual goalkeeper

You'll have an animate matador cape and you'll like it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Hughes is not getting sacked

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

Jose posted:

Hughes is not getting sacked
Meanwhile the transfer window is open and we desperately need some new players. Chances are the very earliest he'll be sacked is after the Huddersfield game on the 20th and I don't even think that's likely regardless of the result. The board are being loving stupid and the damage being done by not getting a new man in early during this window is ridiculous.

We're down. Thanks sparky you loving bellend.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

if it makes you feel better Ashley still hasn't told benitez what his budget for january is

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
What's the hold up on the takeover? I thought it was pretty much done ages ago

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Still not agreed on a price as Ashley wants too much and it'll probably not happen now

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Can't wait for Giggs to replace Mourinho.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
So Liverpool is essentially parlaying Coutinho into Van Dijk and Lemar? $150 in - $75 + $90 out. That's honestly a deal I would do and the overpays kind of neutralize each other.

I haven't watched Monaco in a long time (probably since last year's CL when they had a totally different squad), does Lemar slot into the same kind of role that Coutinho has now on the Liverpool side?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Diva Cupcake posted:

Looks almost a done deal this time. Reddy is pretty solid.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/948876954173870080

I wonder how much of that money will be upfront.

It’s been very annoying to have all this attention over a move where no formal bid has been submitted.

Unless Lemar or some other attacking midfielder comes in the winter window too, I don’t see why FSG would allow this move at this point in the season. The league may be too far gone, but a top 4 finish can’t be taken for granted and Liverpool still have to balance the league with CL and FA Cup commitments.

I haven’t seen any of the potential midfield replacements in full length matches so I don’t feel nearly as comfortable as others that Coutinho can be replaced mid-season.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Libertine posted:

So Liverpool is essentially parlaying Coutinho into Van Dijk and Lemar? $150 in - $75 + $90 out. That's honestly a deal I would do and the overpays kind of neutralize each other.

Ah yes, the Andy Carroll reasoning has returned.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
net spend

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Alexis for comedy option if Lemar isn't available in the Jan window.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Diva Cupcake posted:

Alexis for comedy option if Lemar isn't available in the Jan window.

if Klopp sold Coutinho and somehow turned around and signed Alexis and Ozil I would do a bunch of lols

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

blue footed boobie posted:

Ah yes, the Andy Carroll reasoning has returned.

It's admittedly fuzzy logic. It's easier to stomach the latter buys given the former sale though.

blue footed boobie posted:

Well aware of the issues he has with his squad, Wengy has signed some Greek child, who will immediately go out on loan.

Probably the only buying business Arsenal will do in the transfer window. Even though they need to spend about half a billion in current market rates to revamp their squad, they'll probably sell Sanchez and Ozil for peanuts and call it good.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Liverpool supporters are unbearable during transfer windows and I just want it over and done with so we can all resume normal service of petty tribalism punctuated once a week by a fascination with men's feet

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Also, please allow me to save you the trouble once again:

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Liverpool supporters are unbearable

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

We've had positive net spend for ages, helped a lot by the Benteke and Sakho sales, the VVD money has nothing to do with any potential Coutinho money.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Libertine posted:

Probably the only buying business Arsenal will do in the transfer window. Even though they need to spend about half a billion in current market rates to revamp their squad, they'll probably sell Sanchez and Ozil for peanuts and call it good.

I’m hopeful that they’ll sign one first team player. With the number of players on expiring contracts it would be shockingly negligent to just not sign anyone.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Classic wenger

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Meat Wagon posted:

What's the hold up on the takeover? I thought it was pretty much done ages ago

Turns out that the random woman representing a coalition of definitely real investors was 3 small children in a long coat pranking Ashley

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

fat gay nonce posted:

Turns out that the random woman representing a coalition of definitely real investors was 3 small children in a long coat pranking Ashley

On the upside those the 3 kids have said Newcastle will be looking to sign Yermas Dildo who's been busy in the box up and down the country

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Liverpool supporters are unbearable during transfer windows and I just want it over and done with so we can all resume normal service of petty tribalism punctuated once a week by a fascination with men's feet

There is a bullshit transfer thread that Pissflaps is lovingly curating: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844541

He loves posting in and creating transfer threads.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

fat gay nonce posted:

On the upside those the 3 kids have said Newcastle will be looking to sign Yermas Dildo who's been busy in the box up and down the country

lmao

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

gently caress no. He'd cost an absolute fortune and he's not nearly as good as he's made out to be.

Also I don't want more retarded American, and former Sunderland fans, suddenly supporting us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Strawman posted:

hes cracking up imo

The meltdown is fully in effect.

• Locked thread