Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

why dont they make the entire plane out of the box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I still have no idea what a gamergate is but apparently the Nazis like it

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I used to love Ayn Rand

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I thought that white privilege was a completely bullshit concept bandied about by people who didn't understand my background or the suburban culture that I grew out of. I didn't get it knocked out of me until I started working EMS in New York and realized how wtf crazy-privileged my life had been.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I thought struggle session was some kinda sexual thing

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

here are the two big revelations to me as of recent:
-there actually being a difference between UBI and unemployment stipends
-that the piss tape won't actually matter

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

-that the piss tape won't actually matter

MODS?!?!

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crazycryodude posted:

I still don't get it.

Was it some dumb internal drama, then redpillers hated women in gaming?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Crazycryodude posted:

Similarly, I had no idea Gamergate was such a powerful recruiting force for the alt-right until this year. Seriously, the line from nerd bitterness to to white resentment is straight as an arrow.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
it's impossible to understand because it is inherently stupid as poo poo

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Frijolero posted:

I still don't get it.

Gamers hate women and organized around having a collective months-long misogynistic temper tantrum.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow I had forgotten all about Anita Sarkeesian.

As far as I can remember, she had some fairly standard feminist takes on videogames but this triggered all the reddit/4chan virgins so they started a culture war. Ok that makes sense actually lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I still don't know who Lena Dunham is or what she looks like, and I'm going to see how long I can make that last.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I think it's really that as gamer incel it's easy to get taught how to hate women for rejecting you and intruding upon your safe game spaces. After that, it's a short leap to hating everyone else.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm going on approximately week five of knowing the difference between Chris Hitchens and Chris Hedges.

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017

The Crotch posted:

I'm going on approximately week five of knowing the difference between Chris Hitchens and Chris Hedges.

It's even worse when you throw Chris Hayes into the mix.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I don't get the dying for Bush's oil profits meme

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

C-Euro posted:

I still don't know who Lena Dunham is or what she looks like, and I'm going to see how long I can make that last.
*Cackles maniacally*

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Dreddout posted:

*Cackles maniacally*

nice rack

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I sat down and tried to figure out what was meant by cultural marxism at a point but quickly realized no one was using the same definition and it had become, or always was, a catchall for "thing fashy teens don't like."

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Frijolero posted:

I still don't get it.

It's the belief in a liberal conspiracy to make videogames anti-white, anti-male, anti-heterosexual, i.e. to "steal" videogames from their rightful owners and make them "no fun", the final result of a long string of culture war defeats, including the banning of "booth babes" from trade shows, the "dickwolves" fiasco, the successful Feminist Frequency kickstarter, etc.

So called because several videogame journalist reacted to a manufactured scandal about indie developer Zoe Quinn (and her vicious harassment) by writing very similar "Death of the Gamer" editorials at pretty much the same time - "[Death of the] Gamer-[Water]gate". The articles, by the way, expressed a common, neither novel nor particularly controversial sentiment that videogames "belong" to everyone who plays them and not just "gamers", i.e. the angry horny, well, losers who want games full of tits, guns, grimacing musclemen and screamed slurs in voice chat [and sexualized underage girls]

The scandal that sparked it all was the revelation that Zoe Quinn had cheated on her boyfriend with, among others, a games journalist who had written or would write a glowing review of one of her games. Yes, an unproven pussy-for-reviews scheme, for a freeware browser game to boot, is a pretty ridiculous "scandal" in an industry where blockbuster titles (the so called "AAA" games) receive mandatory positive reviews and high scores, on pain of blacklisting or firing the journalists who don't play ball

Hating women was a prerequisite and not an effect, it's just that at some point circumstances "made it OK"

I now fully expect one or two of the usual Hellthread regulars to swoop in and well-actually me to death (Hellthread: a containment zone for the worst, most disruptive discussions in the old no-rules GBS, such as Gamergate, fat people hate, Ulillillia and I forget what else. Now possibly a crew chat thread, unless it's been closed)

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I don't understand how Jeb! is a such a MESS

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Gamergate sparked the "blue haired women and low-T men" meme that's now a familiar alt-right boogeyman. To be fair, it does describe accurately most of the involved players on the "enemy" side. To be completely fair, it describes pretty much all people involved in videogames

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang
Hi I was once a penn jillette libertarian I'm not proud of this

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I almost voted for Ron Paul in 2008

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

hackbunny posted:

It's the belief in a liberal conspiracy to make videogames anti-white, anti-male, anti-heterosexual, i.e. to "steal" videogames from their rightful owners and make them "no fun", the final result of a long string of culture war defeats, including the banning of "booth babes" from trade shows, the "dickwolves" fiasco, the successful Feminist Frequency kickstarter, etc.

So called because several videogame journalist reacted to a manufactured scandal about indie developer Zoe Quinn (and her vicious harassment) by writing very similar "Death of the Gamer" editorials at pretty much the same time - "[Death of the] Gamer-[Water]gate". The articles, by the way, expressed a common, neither novel nor particularly controversial sentiment that videogames "belong" to everyone who plays them and not just "gamers", i.e. the angry horny, well, losers who want games full of tits, guns, grimacing musclemen and screamed slurs in voice chat [and sexualized underage girls]

The scandal that sparked it all was the revelation that Zoe Quinn had cheated on her boyfriend with, among others, a games journalist who had written or would write a glowing review of one of her games. Yes, an unproven pussy-for-reviews scheme, for a freeware browser game to boot, is a pretty ridiculous "scandal" in an industry where blockbuster titles (the so called "AAA" games) receive mandatory positive reviews and high scores, on pain of blacklisting or firing the journalists who don't play ball

Hating women was a prerequisite and not an effect, it's just that at some point circumstances "made it OK"

I now fully expect one or two of the usual Hellthread regulars to swoop in and well-actually me to death (Hellthread: a containment zone for the worst, most disruptive discussions in the old no-rules GBS, such as Gamergate, fat people hate, Ulillillia and I forget what else. Now possibly a crew chat thread, unless it's been closed)

Ok I remember the Zoe Quinn thing, but I never understood how it related to anything else.

Yeah, makes sense that a bunch of proto alt-righters would lose their little shits over fairly milquetoast Feminism.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
What made Gamergate effective as psychological manipulation was the bizarre info-swirl that was always in flux. I couldn't figure out what it was about, and then someone would explain Zoe Quinn, but even then most of the time the "conversation" around it led into a bunch of other rabbit holes. You could never get a straight answer from anybody.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i remember following it for the first like two days when it was just laughing at bad life decisions on the internet, then people started arguing and for a second i considered trying to gather all the facts and form an opinion on it. then i realized its totally loving pointless and my time was better spent doing literally anything else

then it turned into a nazi recruiting tool lmao

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

hackbunny posted:

I think the guy Quinn slept with never even wrote a review of her game, he mentioned it in an indie games round-up column before he ever met her

Lightning Lord has issued a correction as of 12:06 on Jan 11, 2018

nah
Mar 16, 2009

at one point i though there was a difference between Democrats and Republicans

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

hackbunny posted:

Didn't it actually turn out that she never cheated on her boyfriend with this guy in the end anyway

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

I think the guy Quinn slept with never even wrote a review of her game, he mentioned it in an indie games round-up column before he ever met her

also she didn't cheat either, they were either on a break or weren't exclusive

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Imagine having such a lovely breakup you created a generation of neonazis

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was the moment of many a slimy little losers mental encuckaning. You can still see many of them on this very forum, still pretending they weren't driven into a psychosexual rage from finding out a girl who made a twine game hosed. It was like divorce court for the kind of child that cares about what order a list of videogames is in.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

What made Gamergate effective as psychological manipulation was the bizarre info-swirl that was always in flux. I couldn't figure out what it was about, and then someone would explain Zoe Quinn, but even then most of the time the "conversation" around it led into a bunch of other rabbit holes. You could never get a straight answer from anybody.

this was key. no one knew what the gently caress it was so the angry nerds could mold it to fit whatever they wanted and no one could fight the rage vortex because they couldn’t pin it down. in there end none of the poo poo they were supposedly fighting was even true. from there it’s a natural fit to join the other right wing outrage causes.

wasn’t the game free too so it wasn’t like zoe quinn even stood to make a buck from her evil plot

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
gamergate is a bit of a toxic subject so I would appreciate it if we moved beyond it just in case it gets out of hand

you can learn more about the controversy on your own by repeatedly bashing your head into the wall, which will allow your brain to enter the gamergate mindset

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Comrayn posted:

wasn’t the game free too so it wasn’t like zoe quinn even stood to make a buck from her evil plot

"The evil conniving bitch has a patreon and makes money indirectly" is the version I heard.

E: sorry didn't see the above post

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

logikv9 posted:

gamergate is a bit of a toxic subject so I would appreciate it if we moved beyond it just in case it gets out of hand

you can learn more about the controversy on your own by repeatedly bashing your head into the wall, which will allow your brain to enter the gamergate mindset

it wouldn't be toxic at all if you just banned gators like you should, like powercrazy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i only today realized the difference between bourgeoisie and bourgeois

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

logikv9 posted:

i know just the topic to change it to that is never toxic and always produces sane and rational debate:

I used to think Israel used to be a bad and mean country in the 60s but stopped because something something golda meir something something yasser arafat

• Locked thread