Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Jay should probably have been brought back as a junior and then move him up to heavyweight if he caught fire, like Omega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

HM: EVIL & SANADA (c) vs. Kazuchika Okada & Hirooki Goto IWGP Tag Team Championship (Road to New Beginning 2/6)

Fantastic closing stretch and really hot crowd pushed this to HM status in my book.

2nd because EVERYTHING IS EVIL including hot tags.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I know that reversal sequence was the big moment to set up Saturday, but honestly, I think EVIL was the star of that match. He was just so good and has so much charisma in everything he does. (Plus I am way less certain about the outcome of the NEVER title match than I am about the prospect of SANADA of all people being the one to end Okada's 2 year reign)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

if EVIL looked like SANADA then little Kazu would need to be worried about his spot

Meltzer basically said the same thing a couple of weeks ago. If EVIL had SANADA's body and athletic ability, he'd be unstoppable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mkay0 posted:

Hideo vs Roddy was a 4+ star match in front of an ice cold crowd, so it came off like a 2.5. If that was at a Takeover or in Receda, we’d be at least talking HM.

If it was in Receda, Dave would be talking about how it was better than all 3 Omega/Okada matches.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah just got around to watching it and agreed.

New Japan actually has an interesting tag team scene! AMAZING!

And the junior tag scene is so strong with RPG3K and LIJ and

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Io "Cien" Shirai

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Your Boy Fancy posted:

One more for the pile. Tana is Tana. Juice’s flash roll up had the whole room biting. Both came out looking like a million bucks, with Juice telling a great story and Tana getting all the little things right - including giving him love for a great match at the end.

The post-match was great. Juice looking close to tears, Tana giving him props, the crowd chanting Juice's name even though he lost... God wrestling can be great when it's done well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
gently caress it, I'll throw a HM to Yagi/Narita, sure. I don't think you could have a better 15 minute match than they did, with the restrictions Young Lions have.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

this is what pissed me off more than anything about that match. They've turned that into his five knuckle shuffle and then suddenly it stops Nakamura dead at WrestleMania.

It makes sense if you view the match as a sequel to the WK one, because in NJPW, the Clash was basically the death move. And the story was Shinsuke's knee was hosed, but so was AJ's back, so neither could hit their big move without hurting themself.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Veto. My beautiful fishnet gigolo boy did not win the belt.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They're people who tuned out after the Miz match.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ishimori basically quit and went to TNA for 6 months so as to keep up appearances that he wasn't jumping ship to New Japan, as I understand it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You wrote Shayna Baszler vs Nikki Cross wrong, boss.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

I really didn't think any match would top Tanahashi vs Okada in terms of emotions. Goddamn was I wrong.

It's a different emotion though. The end of Tana/Okada was a sinking feeling of the inevitable leading to a bittersweet conclusion that the old gunslinger doesn't quite have what it takes anymore to face the new sheriff. The end to Okada/Omega IV was a cresting wave as you realised that the T-1000 could be hurt, could be stopped.

(Incidentally, the group hug at the end is very much a "I know now why you cry" moment)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

Not sure about the whole show but those particular matches will.

The implication was that the whole shows are going up because these were promoted as New Japan shows with a few RevPro dudes on the undercard, not RevPro shows with a couple of NJPW guys working.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

thefakenews posted:

Perhaps it's just bias in favour of another Australian, but he always seemed like a good worker in NXT, to me. Everything else around that was lacklustre though.

Right after he and Blake split, he had a real good match with Kota Ibushi on NXT which wasn't all on Ibushi's part, he very much struck me as the classic "WWE thinks he can't work because he won't dumb himself down and pretend they're teaching him stuff he already knows" situation.

On a related note, I'm not sure what's more frustrating, WWE guys claiming 'there's no WWE style' or someone like Jericho acknowledging there is, but acting like it's automatically better than any other style.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I've seen people complain that the finish to Page/Fale made no sense, but it was pretty obvious to me: 1. Page had Fale ready for the Rite Of Passage, he was about to win, so who cares if he gets the points for a DQ instead of a pin, at least the Firing Squad can hurt him in the former and 2. the Tongans probably care more about Tama getting points than Fale, as the big man has made it pretty clear he's cool being the underboss, not the top dog.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

I want to see Okada's "Why am I so violent face".

Without Mauro screaming MAMA MIA or whatever.

Probably Don screaming at him to murder Gedo. Or Chono wiping away a tear of pride.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Uh, J-Ru, am I halucinating or do you have Suzuki/Okada from the Great Pirate Festival on the WMOTY list?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
YANO! TO! RU! :D

MOTYC for YTR/Ishii, ZSJ/Ibushi and Naito/Omega, HM for SANADA/Goto.

(My head says the Yano match wasn't that great, but my heart says it was.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Jeff's nads got squashed quite badly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Toru Yano vs. Kota Ibushi
HM: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. SANADA
HM: Tetsuya Naito vs. Juice Robinson
MOTYC: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Hirooki Goto

Starting to notice a pattern with these B Block matches, my friends.

That Tama Tonga sucks? (He's actually a fine tag guy, and GoD would actually benefit the most by going to WWE, way more than the Bucks would, at lease in the sense of getting the most out of their abilities and being pushed. )

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Newsflash: Ishii real good, film at eleven.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
RE: no-selling. I think it's only a problem if guys consistently actually don't sell moves. Ibushi and Ishii, for the most, weren't no-selling. They were weathering certain moves just long enough to retaliate (while selling, as people have noted about Kota's glassy eyes) and then basically dying afterwards. As soon as they finished the big suplex sequence in question, both guys lay on the mat selling for a good 30 seconds.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Coaaab posted:

G1 Night 14
MOTYC: SANADA vs Yano - Usually put it on Japanese commentary, but English commentary is essential here.

"GET MILANO! KEVIN! GET MILANO COLLECTION! HES THE ONLY ONE WITH THE KEY!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'll go MOTYC on SANADA/Ishii. I thought it was better than the main event, honestly. By a decent margin.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd go HM on Gargano/Ciampa, Moustache Mountain/TUE and Shayna/Kairi, with the main event as the most borderline of the three. And borderline not even being an HM, not on the border between that and MOTY. It's the same goddamn match over and over, which is basically the worst sin of WWE booking. By going back to matches over and over, there's no time or room to have things evolve. Give me, say, an I Quit match where they just sprint for like 16-18 minutes. Give me a straight singles match where you can use the bells and whistles. And I do get that they were put into a tight spot, but, novel concept, there's no reason you HAVE to have the title be defended on every Takeover. Have some kind of angle on the show where Regal announces they're both suspended until the Black situation is dealt with, and put the Dunne or the Purazzo match they taped for TV on the live card.

Ricochet/Cole I'd go all the way to MOTYC for, though.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 19, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I Before E posted:

Goddamn that crowd was loud in the final stretch

I think it's because so often, NJPW and Gedo have the older guy put on a valiant showing, but the younger guy is proved right and the old man is past it and can't keep up any more. And this storyline with Tana isn't doing that. He's showing that he is still the Ace, that he can beat the best there is today.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

HHH was in the best main roster match this year.

He wasn't in the Shield vs Drew/Dolph? :confused:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ishii now has more MOTYCs than Omega or Okada this year. Once again proving, that Thomas Ishii, Esq is the Best Wrestle Boy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

extradite THIS! posted:

I'm now imagining Ishii wearing Long Boys for some reason and I'm conflicted about what I'm seeing with my mind's eye

Nah, Ishii's equivalent of the long boys would be long hair.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh, I thought it was Justin that coined it, not Craig.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Germansimp posted:

Also thought it was Chuck that coined the Knife Pervert term for White, but that was Trent as well. Essentially Trent booked the co-main event of WK of Long Boys vs Knife Pervert.

Somewhere Naito's eye just twitched.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Dunno how I feel about the MMA shorts tho.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

I wonder if Bryan was a face if they would have let him kick out of an F5

Another 5 minutes would have taken it to another level

Styles did it last year, I believe?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I knew the finish before I watched it and still bought the High Fly Flow into the SSP nearfall.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The more I think about it, the more I think Ospreay landing on his feet, not in a "look how cool I am" way, but "gently caress you, I won't give you the satisfaction" way might be the best spot of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Maybe a two-tier system for MOTYs? 7 votes for the big groups like WWE and NJPW, 4 for your Dragon Gates and MLWs?