Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have polisci degrees and work close to this world, if not directly in it anymore, so I can answer some questions as well.

Positive Optimyst posted:

My 2 questions:

1. What's your take on the coming mid terms? The party outside of the Executive gains seats historically, but will these year be a major gain for the Dems (like the GOP in 1994)?
Treat any claims about "historically, x happens during an election y years into an administration with unified/divided government" etc with extreme skepticism. Remember that you are dealing with a quite small sample size and that the electorate, and American politics overall, have changed dramatically over the years. Making solid predictions about an election is even more difficult than it used to be as reliable polling is harder than ever especially at the subnational level. Some academics can be overconfident in the predictive power of their data as well. I attended a seminar with top political scientists in public opinion about a week before the '16 election and each in turn predicted Clinton would win by a huge margin, although there was a lone dissenter who said she would win by a smaller margin.

Positive Optimyst posted:

2. How nuts have DC rents gone? Do I every have a chance of renting a studio anywhere in the District again?

Cheers.
Depends on your budget and where you want to live. A few years ago I rented a studio divided into a 1br for $1550 in a trendy part of Northwest. Rents are lower if you're willing to live in an "up and coming" neighborhood, but you have to be careful as crime is still quite high in areas like Columbia Heights. Check out http://exposedbrickdc.com.

Honestly if you're young the best way to experience DC is to live with people. The whole city feeds off an incestuous clusterfuck of contrived networking anyway so there are some professional benefits in doing that, although IMO a lot of the people working in politics / policy / PR/PA are super insufferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread