Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andpie1
Dec 29, 2012
I've worked in politics for the past few years and figured I'd spark the fire a little bit here on the yard sign discussion. While I don't think they're a huge difference maker, I think done well they can have a lot of value.

I worked on a state legislative campaign that knocked 100k+ attempts and by the end of the campaign there was not a neighborhood I knocked in that we didn't have a yard sign in. I think that's powerful in a down ballot race with low name-ID, where seeing someones yard sign on your commute might be one of your few impressions of a candidate. Obviously, this wouldn't work a race with a 50k budget, but if you have the money I think it's a valuable part of your field strategy.

The methodology of how you get those stakes in yards is also important. If you're just going to buy 100 yard signs and stick them in your office for your volunteers that's problematic. We incorporated the ask on supporter ID doors, and canvassers had 10 signs in their cars for when people said yes. Further, if people requested yard signs outside of that, we incorporated sign delivery into our turf cutting process, so we weren't just sending canvassers out to deliver signs.

I think voters are over-saturated with politics advertising from September on, and when your budget is comparatively small and you're not a race with significant news attention it's easy to get drowned out. Seeing a yard sign in your neighborhood is an authentic tap that at the very least raises name-ID, which is crucial in local leg races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread