Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So what in the flaming hell is "soft on illegals and muslims entering the US" supposed to mean?

It means there are feelings economic and cultural anxiety in a sufficient enough population size that a politician feels they should adopt a position in order to win votes.

Howdy all, I've worked in campaign finance and management for going on 8 years. Finance at the Federal and State levels, campaign management at the local. At present, I work part-time as a journalist on transportation policy and civil rights issues, inbetween part-time graduate school and getting involved with local politics.

buglord posted:

Do phone banks/door knocks work? Whats the goal of them? Is it to plant a seed for an upcoming election or are doorknockers/ callers generally striving to get a "political sale"? I imagine its a numbers game? I don't know anyone who likes being solicited with political actions such as these. But if its been going forever, it has to work?

e: also, im curious: what happens when a door knocker gets a militant supporter of the opposition? any notable stories there? Maybe im an overly cynical millennial, but it seems incredibly unlikely that someone will change their position, on the spot, after hearing convincing arguments. It seems much more likely that in the rare event that they decide to, they do it privately as to not lose face.

e2: less CSPAM'y question: any unexpected lesson or experience you've gained from being in this field for 8 years? Doesn't have to be political, just something you learned which you didn't anticipate going in.

It depends why you're having folks call/knock. Generally, in Federal elections, IMO, good field can move between 3-6 points, or at least save 3-6 for you - enough to sway a close election - while advertisements get you 30 points. At the local level, field is what you live and die on. Every door you knock is another vote, and when the total votes cast for your seat is less than 5,000 or so, you have an opportunity to meet every single vote and get to know them by name.

edit:

Baronash posted:

What exactly is happening from Election Day 2016 to Election Day 2018? Is there a campaign wind-down period?

Election day: phonecalls in the morning, either babysit the candidate at a hotel or knocking doors and driving folks to the polls until the count starts, then off to the venue to start drinking in celebration/preparation for looking for a new job.

Thru the end of November: going into the count rooms as-needed, if a loss paid thru the end of the month or end of the year. Write your reflection, hop over to an official-side job if a win and the candidate likes you, failing that hop onto any recounts nearby and networking your rear end off. Cap the election cycle off with attending an inaugural ball and partying with all the folks you've worked with for the past 1-2 years while networking your rear end off.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Andpie1 posted:

I've worked in politics for the past few years and figured I'd spark the fire a little bit here on the yard sign discussion. While I don't think they're a huge difference maker, I think done well they can have a lot of value.

I worked on a state legislative campaign that knocked 100k+ attempts and by the end of the campaign there was not a neighborhood I knocked in that we didn't have a yard sign in. I think that's powerful in a down ballot race with low name-ID, where seeing someones yard sign on your commute might be one of your few impressions of a candidate. Obviously, this wouldn't work a race with a 50k budget, but if you have the money I think it's a valuable part of your field strategy.

The methodology of how you get those stakes in yards is also important. If you're just going to buy 100 yard signs and stick them in your office for your volunteers that's problematic. We incorporated the ask on supporter ID doors, and canvassers had 10 signs in their cars for when people said yes. Further, if people requested yard signs outside of that, we incorporated sign delivery into our turf cutting process, so we weren't just sending canvassers out to deliver signs.

I think voters are over-saturated with politics advertising from September on, and when your budget is comparatively small and you're not a race with significant news attention it's easy to get drowned out. Seeing a yard sign in your neighborhood is an authentic tap that at the very least raises name-ID, which is crucial in local leg races.

I've been repeating a simple mantra for the past decade: Yardsigns don't vote*. People** vote. A few years ago, I tried doing a lit search on yardsigns. I only came across one peer-reviewed quantitative study on the impact of yardsigns, and from what I recall, there was a weak correlation significant at the p<.05 level between yardsigns vs no yardsigns in a local election race on the name recognition of the candidates.

In my view, yardsign proponents are like anti-vaxxers: they confuse correlation with causation. Winning candidates don't need their organization to distribute yardsigns. A good candidate should be inspirational enough that folk make their own yardsigns out of enthusiasm to support ya.

Now, like most of politics, these things aren't absolutes. However, once again, Yardsigns don't vote and your one job as a candidate is to capture enough votes from the right voters to win your race.

*Although signs may not vote, it may be possible to avoid coordinating with your media printing house - especially if they are unionized - and not agree to make a sufficiently large purchase with no guarantee of 500 - 2,000 manhours knocking doors or phonebanking on your behalf. Other campaign finance regulations and contribution limitation considerations may apply.

**Definition of person and eligability to vote or have the ballot counted may vary by location. Please contact your local secretary of state, election board, or county clerk for more details. Offer not valid in some jurisdictions such as American territories or for some classifications of American nationals. Terms and conditions subject to change.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yardsign story time:

Last general, I was with rural party organizations in traditionally blue counties. Number one priority for these orgs, time and again, was getting yardsigns printed, generating lists for distribution, and dropping the signs up. You'd have anywhere from 5 to 30 folk focused on yardsigns at these meetings.

Those counties ain't blue no more.

IMO successful party orgs, especially at the local level, serve two functions:

1. Generating data to pass up

Small towns mean small social networks. You can assign prospects, registered voters, and leaners to a specific influencer most likely to get the target to do what you want. However, to do this, you need to know who knows who, who's coming to your events, and why folk are going. Oftentimes, the local party org is too lazy to even have a sign-in sheet or record of contributions. When nobody signs in to events, no influencers can be assigned to hit them up. When nobody hits up prospects, nobody hires professional staff. And without profesionals, a campaign is poo poo.

2. Ensure legal compliance for state power brokers

Contribution limits exist for a reason, and all levels of party organizations should keep thorough records of campaign finances in order to ensure that one individual does not give a direct contribution to a campaign greater than the legally allowed amount within the jurisdiction, epecially not a contribution sufficient enough to pay for one or more professional staffers for an election cycle.

There is one good use for yardsigns I can think of: avoiding loving up. Unfortunately, some folk still manage to.

Candidate or their spouse a loser? Director of Yardsign Distribution. Get sent someone's developmentally disabled, mentally ill, or immature cousin/partner/child? Yardsign Distribution Associate. Official side intern hits on the DCoS like an incel? Assistant to the Director of Yardsign Distribution.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 18, 2018

• Locked thread