Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

A Place Farther than the Universe (Sora yori mo Tooi Basho) is a new original anime series by Studio MADhouse, Director Ishizuka Atsuko (No Game No Life, Monster), and Writer Hanada Juuki (Also No Game No Life, lots of other stuff).

The series is going to be about 4 high school girls in a band working in a restaurant finding demon playing cards camping and their journey to Antarctica. Yes you read that right, 4 regular high school girls are going to find their way to the bottom of the planet.

How? Well...

Characters

Mari Tamaki

Mari is the first character we meet just after her mother tries to waterboar- I mean wake her up and clean her room. She’s a timid little goodie twoshoes whose high school goals include skipping school just once, and going a trip without a plan. Which she has well and truely succeeded in, and earned one hell of a tan for it.

Raccoon

Shirase Kobuchizawa

Shirase is our main progenitor of this crazy idea. (Rightfully) Known around school/town as the crazy Antarctica chick who does nothing but work after school to afford a trip down to Antarctica. Turns out her mother was part of an Antarctic expedition at one point and wrote a book, which is related to why she wants to go so bad. Queen Idiot of the Frozen South. Other than a Million Yen bankroll her contributions towards the trip have been: 1) Seduce a (male) member of the expedition and 2) Sneak onto the boat.

Status: Hot Mess Total idiot Sensational Reporter World Traveler

Mahjong God

Hinata Miyake

Works at a convenience store and overheard Mari and Shirase talking. That’s it so far. Super Genius Konbini Star. Biding her time till she can take college entrance exams, Hinata has decided to salvage this cluster gently caress of a trip. A former Track star who got jerked around by some basic rear end bitches who couldn't handle her skill and speed. Said gently caress that, helped get some idiots in gear, and made her way to the bottom of the world and then with the help of her new found friends told those jerks off from a safe distance.

Current Status: Best Girl (fight me) Total idiot Track Star World Traveler

Snow Thot Destroyer

Yuzuki Shiraishi

??????????????????????
Fancy TV/Singing idol with the Deus Ex Machina. Her TV mom has her set to go to Antarctica to do a streaming show but gently caress YOU MOM IT'S COLD ALSO LET ME HAVE FRIENDS. I HAVE REAL FRIENDS NOW. THE BESTEST REALEST FRIENDS BUT IT'S STILL SO loving COLD. Also got a real acting job.

Current status: Insufficient Friendship The Worst Friends The Best Friends. The Most Idiotic Friends World Traveler

Actress

Group Status: The kids are all right.

Showa Station

The Japanese Antarctic Research Expedition’s main Antarctic base. A real place, and a good sign that the show runners did their research about Antarctica and aren’t just winging it. This will most likely be the main show destination in the later part of the series. Also: Penguins, lots of penguins.

The Icebreaker Shirase

Much like Showa Station, The Icebreaker Shirase is a real ship used by Japan’s Antarctic program as a research vessel and as a tool to open up a sea lane to the coast to reach Showa Station. This is the ship that the girls go to see in episode 1. Also one of our character’s shares a name with it, and considering her mother, that will probably become a plot point. Most likely going to make up a bulk of the first half of the series since via the OP this will be how the girls actually get to The Ice. GET READY FOR A BOAT ARC.

Antarctica

Big Ol’ Snow Boi. Bottom of the Earth. The Ice. Bring some sunglasses and plenty of water.

Streaming:
Crunchyroll
My Anime List:
Sora yori mo Tooi Basho

Episode one has already dropped. I think it’s supposed to be a 1 cour, but I can’t really find info on it either way so who knows. So far it looks good, although the shading used seems to throw some people off with the white outlines. I’m sure that’s a style choice that’ll work better against what will eventually be almost totally white backgrounds. MADhouse seems to be doing really good work with this, which goes to show that they shine best when they get the chance to just make a straight up original anime series instead of being stuck adapting stuff.

Even in just the OP and the first episode there are a lot of little things that make it clear they did their research on this show. They could have just treated Antarctica like "It's just like winter but in continent form and forever!" since, really, who would know? But it's clear they did their research or at least hired a knowledgeable consultant for how to write and model out what the Antarctic will be like. Looking forward to the rest of this series.

EDIT: gently caress I forgot the tag. Can a mod change it to just [anime]?

Crain fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
High school girls on an icebreaker. LET'S loving DO IT.

Must reiterate what I said earlier though:

StandardVC10 posted:

That said, they are making an unspoken promise of lots of penguins and they had better loving deliver. :colbert:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

StandardVC10 posted:

They probably will, though here's the thing: Penguins aren't normally as common as seals (and skua) are and show up towards the end of the summer, which is when most people leave.

So if they're trying to be accurate there won't be many...

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

StandardVC10 posted:

Here's hoping they have a whale of a time!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

From Crunchyroll's description:

quote:

Scenery that we have never seen. Sounds that we have never heard. Scent that we have never smelled. Food that we have never tasted.
I expect them to be butchering all the animals.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

nielsm posted:

Fun Fact: The New Zealand Antarctic program used to use sled dogs for a lot of their transport work and as such were given one of the few exceptions to the International Antarctic Treaty to collect seals for food purposes. That ended in the late 80s though.

Apparently they also used them as a hazing ritual for newbies and visitors. Everyone who didn't know always wanted to go play with the dogs (who were very friendly) and base staff would let them in the pen (and then lock it). Turns out feeding dogs raw seal meat meant their breath was rancid as gently caress, and they loved licking faces, as dogs tend to do.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
This is so far from the usual anime I watch but people were so complimentary about the first episode in the Winter 2018 thread so I gave it a go. And I'm super happy I did because it's adorable and intriguing, exactly how I like my anime!

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

nielsm posted:

For the betterment of (food) science!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Crain posted:

Fun Fact: The New Zealand Antarctic program used to use sled dogs for a lot of their transport work and as such were given one of the few exceptions to the International Antarctic Treaty to collect seals for food purposes. That ended in the late 80s though.

Apparently they also used them as a hazing ritual for newbies and visitors. Everyone who didn't know always wanted to go play with the dogs (who were very friendly) and base staff would let them in the pen (and then lock it). Turns out feeding dogs raw seal meat meant their breath was rancid as gently caress, and they loved licking faces, as dogs tend to do.

Worth it.

Anyway, I thought the first episode of this how was one of the best premieres I've seen in a while. Excited to see how the rest of the show goes.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

drat, I don't want to wait a week for a new episode.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the first episode! I especially liked that part where Shirase character shuts herself in a toilet stall to curse her neglectfulness in losing money stashed in an envelope, since that happened to me as well, in a freakishly similar way, too! I was in middle school when it happened, though. And it was a prefect teacher (sort of like a dean for middle schools?) who gave me back my envelope. The funniest thing is that they used the PA System to summon me, because back then, it had this stigma where everyone associated a student getting summoned through a PA Announcement as the student getting suspended/expelled.

Crain posted:

Yuzuki Shiraishi

??????????????????????
She's voiced by Saori Hayami, so she's best girl by default unless proven otherwise. :colbert:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Crain posted:

They probably will, though here's the thing: Penguins aren't normally as common as seals (and skua) are and show up towards the end of the summer, which is when most people leave.

So if they're trying to be accurate there won't be many...

Given the visual gag with the seal in the OP I'd be happy with them seeing seals more than penguins.

nielsm posted:

I don't know how true it is, but I'm told that some of the older expeditions knowing they couldn't carry enough food for a two way trip used to only carry enough (or at least enough meat) for one way using a bigger than necessary husky team and would then kill some of the huskies on the way back to provide meat for the return leg. So if they get a big team of huskies then buckle down for some butchering I guess.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

A small detail that another user on reddit found:

Mild spoiler for episode 1:

Shirase's message on her phone at the end is an empty text to her mother...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

tsob posted:

if they get a big team of huskies then buckle down for some butchering I guess.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! :gonk:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Crain posted:

EDIT: gently caress I forgot the tag. Can a mod change it to just [anime]?

:kiddo:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

tsob posted:

Given the visual gag with the seal in the OP I'd be happy with them seeing seals more than penguins.

I don't know how true it is, but I'm told that some of the older expeditions knowing they couldn't carry enough food for a two way trip used to only carry enough (or at least enough meat) for one way using a bigger than necessary husky team and would then kill some of the huskies on the way back to provide meat for the return leg. So if they get a big team of huskies then buckle down for some butchering I guess.

They ate husky livers on an expedition to the south pole and all got vitamin A poisoning and went all insane. In the inuit tradition they do not eat the liver.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

^^That reminds me of the crazies who think that Polar Bear livers are secret miracle drugs and not just pure Vitamin A laced poison.

Thank you Mr. Mod

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Smart money is the trip being an elaborate suicide mission for one or more characters

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
What are the odds of this turning into a moe chara adaptation of The Thing in the last 4 eps?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

What are the odds of this turning into a moe chara adaptation of The Thing in the last 4 eps?

Not nearly high enough.

Probably the same as if it turns out Shirase's Mom ran away from home and has a new penguin family and son.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Crain posted:

A small detail that another user on reddit found:

Mild spoiler for episode 1:

Shirase's message on her phone at the end is an empty text to her mother...

...aww. :smith:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I'll settle for a moe adaptation of Herzog

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

A big flaming stink posted:

I'll settle for a moe adaptation of Herzog

That's just regular Herzog

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What about At The Mountains of Madness? You want penguins? How about giant mutant penguins?

Maybe Shirase’s mum is a shoggoth?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

What about At The Mountains of Madness? You want penguins? How about giant mutant penguins?

Maybe Shirase’s mum is a shoggoth?
I know you miss Nyarko-san, but c'mon.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

OnimaruXLR posted:

My brain did want to read some sinister foreshadowing into the perspective gag of the MC eating all her friends in the OP.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

drat, episode two is out but I gotta wait till I get off work to watch it, and I have a cold, so this day is going to drag on...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Second episode was nearly as good as the first, I'm enjoying this show a whole lot. Great looking show, too. The cinematography's been really fun throughout and I love how the lighting has this kind of shiny, glowey quality to it I haven't seen in a ton of other shows.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
the subtitle of this thread should have been yuri on snow

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Fangz posted:

the subtitle of this thread should have been yuri on snow

...dammit

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
So they're just going to recruit their whole group by being incredibly, unstoppably noisy. What the hell, I'll allow it.

Doctor Isosceles
Oct 18, 2012

I like the new girl. She's got moxie.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Doctor Isosceles posted:

One of these days I'll track down a bottle of that stuff and try it.

Ugh another hour and a half till I can bounce.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I really like Hinata. She's interesting.

I like how we're just running across rando high-school age girls who are just like "Antarctica? A dangerous expedition to the uttermost frozen south? ...Sure, I'm not doing anything more important right now."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Crain posted:

One of these days I'll track down a bottle of that stuff and try it.

Ugh another hour and a half till I can bounce.

There's certainly plenty of bounce in episode 2

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Doctor Isosceles posted:

:same:

The dynamics between the 3 of them are really good.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
:agreed: They're got a good little group here. Very curious about how their fourth is going to help The Cause

Tamaki's uncertain fistbump... :3:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Crain posted:

...dammit

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Ryuko with the save again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Isn't Antarctica actually a desert in terms of precipitation?