Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I can't believe this show is over. I could just die!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Very strong finale, excellent directing and a fantastic stinger. I personally kind of wish they'd held one last big emotional hit in reserve after episode 12, but I respect them deciding to bring it in on a relatively smooth and contemplative note.

Great goddamn show. Back half wasn't quite as strong to me as the first half (episode 12's ruinous climax aside), but still well worth watching. One of the season's finest right here.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Very strong finale, excellent directing and a fantastic stinger. I personally kind of wish they'd held one last big emotional hit in reserve after episode 12, but I respect them deciding to bring it in on a relatively smooth and contemplative note.

Great goddamn show. Back half wasn't quite as strong to me as the first half (episode 12's ruinous climax aside), but still well worth watching. One of the season's finest right here.

I don't mind the conclusion we got. It's the denouement that was probably needed to come down from episode twelve. But I can't help but think that just ending on the emotional gutpunch that was the end of ep. 12 would have been even stronger.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Would you folks be up for a second season of them going on another journey somewhere, a season detailing Megumi's Arctic adventure, both, or neither?

I feel like with their personal problems taken care of for the most part another season wouldn't be quite as good, but on the other hand I'd love to spend more time with these characters.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'd definitely be down for at least an OVA focused on Megu.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

A couple OVAs or movies. Maybe a second season of them touring a bunch of different far off places. Definitely my favourite of the season, and likely to be for the whole year.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'd definitely be down for at least an OVA focused on Megu.

One episode of this, and one OVA episode (or a movie) of the gang getting together again a year or two later for another expedition.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
On one hand, the dynamic between the four lead girls was really excellent and at the heart of what made this show good, on the other hand, like I said earlier I really want to know how Megumi's adventure to the frozen north even happened.
"I need to see better auroras than my friend who's in Antarctica. No I can't explain why. Put me on this freighter to Svalbard."

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Perhaps Yuzuki 's mom forces her on gets another adventure gig, and manages to drag everyone else along with her. That'd be a second season I'd watch.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm really, really glad that they never went with a "the team encounters the same catastrophe that killed Takako, and must overcome it." Get lost out in a blizzard as well or whatever. I didn't think they'd do it after the last episode anyway but it was a series that did not need that sort of schmaltzy drama so I'm glad it never went that route either way.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Nate RFB posted:

I'm really, really glad that they never went with a "the team encounters the same catastrophe that killed Takako, and must overcome it." Get lost out in a blizzard as well or whatever. I didn't think they'd do it after the last episode anyway but it was a series that did not need that sort of schmaltzy drama so I'm glad it never went that route either way.

yeah same the posters who wanted to happen were :wrong:

also going to the arctic circle is much easier, because that place is actually habitable by conventional society

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
what an amazing show.

There was no way they could top the last episode's climax for emotions so I'm glad they didn't try, this ending was perfect

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'd like an OVA of them just hanging out and being dofuses while they handle the minor fame of going to Antarctica as High School students

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

I liked this very good tv show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo a second season would just detract. a movie or something might be fun but a full second season would just feel forced.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I want a prequel ova

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Endorph posted:

imo a second season would just detract. a movie or something might be fun but a full second season would just feel forced.

Perhaps with a different cast or a substantial time-skip, or to varying locations or even just what they're doing after the fact could be done well, but generally I do agree.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Back in episode 10 Megumi was reading a travel guidebook on the polar regions.

God I love a well crafted story.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

This was such a good show. The group dynamics were funny, the emotional moments were powerful, and it was well-written. I'm going to miss this.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Perhaps with a different cast or a substantial time-skip, or to varying locations or even just what they're doing after the fact could be done well, but generally I do agree.

Yea, I wouldn't mind a second season about a different group of girls with different problems visiting a different location and where the original group only play small roles as the inspiration for someone in the new group to dream big or something. Even Megumi's story doesn't feel like it needs expanding, because we know enough from the sparse details the show has given to work out her general trajectory. She was inspired by her friend's courage and acceptance and so decided to go some place herself. She didn't try for an impossible dream like the Antarctic, but she still went someplace most people don't to prove to herself she could go places and be more if she tried. Tamaki's actions inspired her, and that's enough.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I doubt they'd pull off a second season as good as this one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i just hope the director gets to do more original anime

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

i just hope the director gets to do more original anime

:hai:

Very much same. I really enjoyed her style on both this and Hanayamata.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
great ending but i definitely would have loved if the show had just mic dropped on episode 12's ending and left it there. and yeah this show doesn't need any follow up imo it was a perfect self contained story and i fuckin loved it

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I loved the show but saying that it should've ended in episode 12 would've been like saying that Psycho-Pass would've had a better ending if it cut-off right after Akane (voiced also by HanaKana, by the way!) crying after knowing she couldn't do squat to "save" Kougami from being persecuted/terminated by the Sibyl System so he had to bail. Then again, Psycho-Pass worked well enough as a 22-episode anime and the 2nd season just feels like a big waste of time so maybe you're onto something?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

episode 13 was really, really important for the show's tone, imo. the show ended with 'best wishes on your life's journey.' we needed to see that shirase had moved on, that she was happy, that the girls had plans for their future, that even the side characters were in a better place now and were starting on their own journeys.

episode 12 was the dramatic highpoint and would have been a fine ending but i think episode 13 serves an incredibly important purpose in giving the show its specific meaning.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ep 13 is a denouement and That's Fine

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I love that Gin knew Takako's password. That's true love.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Takoluka posted:

Speaking of whom, I like that when I expected the show to go with the easy metaphor of lovesick-dude literally striking out with Gin, it instead swerved into her just nailing the poor dude with a wild pitch. Gin not a fan of subtlety.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The password to the laptop was Shirase's birthday - november first.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Phobophilia posted:

yeah same the posters who wanted to happen were :wrong:

also going to the arctic circle is much easier, because that place is actually habitable by conventional society

Same. Glad I was wrong with my prediction.

I don't think they should try to make this a series. Just let this nice little story stand on it's own.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, I'm good with this ending here and now. Heck, I would have been happy with it ending after ep12, but I get the need for the denouement. One and done works for me unless they've got something really important to say that they haven't already. Do it if it'll be good, not just because this was surprisingly popular, ya know?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

also

I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING :cry:

I'm a week behind, but you are goddamn right I am crying :smith:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
This show was excellent and I liked the chilled-out ending after the previous episode's emotional finale.

I don't think it needs a second season, but I would love an OVA episode or two and then maybe a lighthearted movie where the gang takes a shorter trip somewhere?

One of the OVAs has to be Shirase winning her million yen back through a shady underground mahjong tournament in order to fund the next trip.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Mentat Radnor posted:

One of the OVAs has to be Shirase winning her million yen back through a shady underground mahjong tournament in order to fund the next trip.

Dude have you seen her? I don't think shady is really her thing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

Dude have you seen her? I don't think shady is really her thing.

Have you seen her playing mahjong?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I'm picturing her in some smoke-filled yakuza gambling den, protected from the illicit dealings and debauchery going on around her by a complete ignorance of there possibly being anything wrong.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm picturing her in some smoke-filled yakuza gambling den, protected from the illicit dealings and debauchery going on around her by a complete ignorance of there possibly being anything wrong.

Just before the last round, she's told by Yuzu or Hinata directly or Mari accidentally blurts it out.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Mentat Radnor posted:

It's more likely that someone on the team will find it, and turn it into Gin as 'lost property'; Gin will of course recognize whose it is.

We'll see Shirase in Japan doing something utterly unconnected... then Gin walks in, tells her "You dropped this," puts the yen in front of Shirase, turns and walks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Takoluka posted:

I'd be surprised if Gin didn't know her own daughter's password