Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kibibit posted:

I'd be surprised if Gin didn't know her own daughter's password

This is quite an interpretation of Gin and Takako's relationship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dont kinkshame

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I never really got a parental feeling from Gin or her relationship with Shirase. It seems like something Takako was hoping to foster, and that was starting to grow between them but that Takako's death put that to an end because Gin wasn't that close to Shirase (or presumably her grandmother) yet, and decided to step away and let them grieve in private instead of trying to insert herself in to their family. It can't have helped that she almost certainly felt partly responsible for Takako's death. Whatever relationship Gin and Shirase had at that point atrophied over the years before the series began.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think Gin's actions in the last episode are fairly parental. Them mending the relationship to where it can reach that point is kind of Gin's arc in the show.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah, I feel that once Gin gets back from the current expedition that she probably starts visiting Shirase and her grandmother more again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Viridiant posted:

Yeah, I feel that once Gin gets back from the current expedition that she probably starts visiting Shirase and her grandmother more again.

This is one of the reasons I want to see an OVA. Also for the (not so) surprise twist that Shirase's grandmother is also a mahjong ringer.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
As a former Navy officer I can tell you the scenes on the ship were EXTREMELY well-researched. Getting lost, seasickness, jogging on the weather deck, it's all accurate.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I know I'm friends with some of you. And if none of you were my friends, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still friends with me. Some of you don't want to sign the contract, you want to hide inside an imitation friendship. You'll fight if you have to, but you're vulnerable out in the open.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

If we're doing fanart:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nephthys posted:

If we're doing fanart:

I never knew I needed this crossover to exist until right now.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

I never knew I needed this crossover to exist until right now.

Also cross it over with Yama no Susume

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

They actually addressed the "penguins smell terrible" thing that was pointed out in this thread earlier :aaa:

For me the emotional climax was the "In your face!" arrival, but great ending, great show.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Viridiant posted:

I hope so :3:

Nephthys posted:

If we're doing fanart:

Extremely good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the BDs aren't selling a ridiculous amount (7kish so far for volume 1, which is a bit below idolmaster sidem and a fair bit below yurucamp, but way above a lot of the middling seasonal stuff), but they're selling very far above expectations to the point that they're already out of stock on amazon japan, and some other sites. Good news.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Friend of mine suggested that if they ever do an OVA, it should be more focused on the day to day stuff while they were down in Antarctica.

Which probably is mostly trying to keep Shirase from hugging a penguin, but I digress.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

the BDs aren't selling a ridiculous amount (7kish so far for volume 1, which is a bit below idolmaster sidem and a fair bit below yurucamp, but way above a lot of the middling seasonal stuff), but they're selling very far above expectations to the point that they're already out of stock on amazon japan, and some other sites. Good news.

It definitely appears that it picked up momentum with people as it went, which should hopefully reflect well on the creative staff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe we'll get a shirase nendo that comes with a tiny penguin

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Endorph posted:

maybe we'll get a shirase nendo that comes with a tiny penguin

Penguin Nendo with a tiny Shirase. :colbert:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Nephthys posted:

If we're doing fanart:

This rules, both great shows this season.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Well, I'm a little late, but oh, wow. Wow. What an incredible show. I laughed and cried almost every episode.

I knew what was coming at the end of episode 12 and it didn't help at all. I was a complete wreck.

What amazing writing and directing, what incredible characters.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Welp this was a fun thread and a good show.

I hope they make some merch. I never usually care about anime merch but I'd buy some for this show.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
afaik there were some events and collaboration with the actual antarctic research agencies, and they were so successful they ran encores

sales are good as well. i dont think here will be a sequel, but ishizuka will get more opportunities to do creative work

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
episode 12 of this show is one of the best episodes of anything i've ever seen

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

So I thought to myself: you need more anime. I thought Megalo Box and Violet Evergarden looked nice. I watched Megalo Box first, which was a bad move, because it ruled and Violet Evergarden was baaad, and that ended the whole thing on a sour note. So I started another series on a whim.

And what the hell, this is REAL good

This really fills the K-On shaped hole in my heart.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

As a testament to this show's success, they've announced two nendoroids: Shirase and Hinata.

Interesting that they didn't start with Kimari and Shirase, but most of the drama does kind of revolve around Hinata and Shirase in the back half, and they have a lot of the most memorable exchanges and moments. Plus Kimari and Yuzuki make more sense to be released together later if these do well than Hinata and Yuzuki.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm really upset that I don't have the money for these. Time to save up.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I have never bought a Nendo but I will buy Hinata

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
huh, only took me 12 hours to realize I posted in the wrong thread...

Beato Believer fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 30, 2018

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/leafgun/status/1044790700540416000?s=19

Thanks, i hate it.

time to preorder

a kitten fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 26, 2018

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I feel like there's some kind of statement here about presentation affecting meaning, like a Roy Lichtenstein painting if he was a giant weeb.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I'm dying, please send help

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
So, like, does the Hinata one include the face she made while being bullied by her erstwhile track team friends or something

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Emotional Destruction, now chibified!

I LOVE/HATE everything about this. Probably going to preorder, too.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

StandardVC10 posted:

I feel like there's some kind of statement here about presentation affecting meaning, like a Roy Lichtenstein painting if he was a giant weeb.

one of his most famous paintings visually referenced a Hokusai print so he's at least weeb-adjacent

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
After having just watched the ep yesterday, that's worth a minor rough chuckle

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

So, like, does the Hinata one include the face she made while being bullied by her erstwhile track team friends or something

https://twitter.com/gsc_kahotan/status/1052870176549396480?s=19

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I wanna see the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I haven't rewatched an anime in a long time since I barely have time to watch new ones, but drat if I don't want to Do It For Her.

...And for everyone else. This was such a good show, I gotta make a friend watch it or something so I have an excuse to go through it again.