Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

Isn't Antarctica actually a desert in terms of precipitation?

Yeah, it gets less rain than the Sahara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

chumbler posted:

Isn't Antarctica actually a desert in terms of precipitation?

Yes, but it's still covered in ice and snow depending on what part of it you're on.

Examples:

McMurdo Station:

LDB Field Base (Warning Huge):

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Episode 2 very good, although the shift from "They're doing a high school program this year!" to "gently caress it let's sneak on board" was a bit jarring.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, I just noticed the title change, lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Crain posted:

Episode 2 very good, although the shift from "They're doing a high school program this year!" to "gently caress it let's sneak on board" was a bit jarring.

Shirase is no longer the ideas girl for a reason.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Shirase is no longer the ideas girl for a reason.

Yeah Shirase turned out to not be that smart...Thankfully we now have Konbini-Geni-[us] to take the lead.

STILL don't know what's up with 4th girl but we're getting there.

And on a third note: I really can't tell where the mom plotline is going. Like I figured that it was just going to be a "She'll get there and have to confront the fact that her mother has been dead for years [Which everyone involved knew and had told her and she just wouldn't accept it]" ending, but now that they've met people who work down there and know her AND her mother and they didn't immediately go "SHE'S DEAD JIM SHIRASE" I don't know what's up.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I assume 'find her mom' really = 'find her body and give her a proper funeral'

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
her mom has gone feral and now lives among the penguins

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

I assume 'find her mom' really = 'find her body and give her a proper funeral'

I wouldn't be shocked if Shirase's in denial, tbh. She seems the type.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Holy poo poo that was a fantastic second episode! The new girl's great and meshes with the other two super well, the drama really good, it's got fantastic comedic timing and is insanely well animated and directed. That joyfully inspiring chase scene might be one of my favorite scenes in anime, it was that amazing to me.

There's something I'm curious about though. Hinata said that she's basically doing nothing but random poo poo for two years because she can't take college entrance exams yet. Why can't she take them at her age if she's already got the GED equivalent? Is there an age requirement for colleges in Japan?

Doctor Isosceles
Oct 18, 2012

For college in Japan you must be at least 17 but no older than 22 (Tokyo U caps at 21). Although there are special recommendation exceptions. I don't believe these restrictions apply to international students though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Doctor Isosceles posted:

For college in Japan you must be at least 17 but no older than 22 (Tokyo U caps at 21). Although there are special recommendation exceptions. I don't believe these restrictions apply to international students though.

Huh, so there's an age ceiling too? Whats the reasoning behind having age restrictions for college admissions?

Doctor Isosceles
Oct 18, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Huh, so there's an age ceiling too? Whats the reasoning behind having age restrictions for college admissions?

(I'm going to forego spoiler tags, since we're not really talking about the episode anymore.)
I had the same question when I was working in Japan (in the early 90's, so these attitudes are clearly dated to a degree). As it was explained to me, and from what I experienced, it would be hard to overstate the cultural importance of the senior/junior or senpai/kouhai relationship. Especially in an educational setting, there seemed to be a concerted effort to minimize the amount of 'age verticality' amongst peer groups or educational cohorts since there would be greater deference and attention paid to older students over younger students. And the older students would have to endure a certain degree of cultural stigma by being peers with people that would normally be considered their juniors. Not to mention the awkwardness that would occur if you had a student that was older than their professor.

Mind you, these attitudes have probably mellowed in the last 25 years, but at least when I was there, age was a very important component of where you were placed on the social hierarchy.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Doctor Isosceles posted:

(I'm going to forego spoiler tags, since we're not really talking about the episode anymore.)
I had the same question when I was working in Japan (in the early 90's, so these attitudes are clearly dated to a degree). As it was explained to me, and from what I experienced, it would be hard to overstate the cultural importance of the senior/junior or senpai/kouhai relationship. Especially in an educational setting, there seemed to be a concerted effort to minimize the amount of 'age verticality' amongst peer groups or educational cohorts since there would be greater deference and attention paid to older students over younger students. And the older students would have to endure a certain degree of cultural stigma by being peers with people that would normally be considered their juniors. Not to mention the awkwardness that would occur if you had a student that was older than their professor.

Mind you, these attitudes have probably mellowed in the last 25 years, but at least when I was there, age was a very important component of where you were placed on the social hierarchy.

That sounds super hosed. Also very Japanese.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I am very upset the thread title is not Yuri on Iceberg

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

Holy poo poo that was a fantastic second episode! The new girl's great and meshes with the other two super well, the drama really good, it's got fantastic comedic timing and is insanely well animated and directed. That joyfully inspiring chase scene might be one of my favorite scenes in anime, it was that amazing to me.

There's something I'm curious about though. Hinata said that she's basically doing nothing but random poo poo for two years because she can't take college entrance exams yet. Why can't she take them at her age if she's already got the GED equivalent? Is there an age requirement for colleges in Japan?

There is an age requirement for colleges in a lot of countries. I have friends who went into medicine who couldn't start until they were 18 and a lot of universities in the UK are 17 and up and if you graduate early you have to do like an additional highschool year or something

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

its so love hina actually ends

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fangz posted:

its so love hina actually ends

A noble goal.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Fffuuu :perfect:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If they end up on an iceberg they'd be doing it wrong

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Fangz posted:

If they end up on an iceberg they'd be doing it wrong

please dont kinkshame

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe they just need some privacy

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

*posts 20k words about the difference between Icebergs, Glaciers, Ice Shelfs, Iced T, and Ice-T as pedantically as possible*

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Crain posted:

*posts 20k words about the difference between Icebergs, Glaciers, Ice Shelfs, Iced T, and Ice-T as pedantically as possible*

Do it

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Don't tempt me.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

*in Bubba voice* There's uh, drift ice, fast ice, ice foot, anchor ice, ice platelets, ice bridge, hair ice, icicle, ice cap, ice field, ice core, ice cave, ice sheet...

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Daedalus1134 posted:

That sounds super hosed. Also very Japanese.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

This show is great so far, really looking forward to see more. I kind of expected it to be Yuru Camp: Antarctica from the description, but it seems to be way more energetic and plot-driven.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Araki posted:

This show is great so far, really looking forward to see more. I kind of expected it to be Yuru Camp: Antarctica from the description, but it seems to be way more energetic and plot-driven.

Yeah, I was surprised we even got a chase scene of all things. MADhouse knocking it out of the part with the animation as well.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
That chase scene was amazing.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Dekai

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I figured they'd do it sooner or later.

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/952646773243195393

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
As far as 3 episode tests go, this show nailed it. Now that character intros are done, I wonder when they get to Antarctica...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, episode 3 was really good, cemented this show's ridiculously good start. The gags had me grinning the whole way through, and Yuzuki is a really great addition to the cast. Curious to see if we set off next episode or if there's any more roadblocks in store.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, episode 3 was really good, cemented this show's ridiculously good start. The gags had me grinning the whole way through, and Yuzuki is a really great addition to the cast. Curious to see if we set off next episode or if there's any more roadblocks in store.

If I had to guess We'll probably have a mini plot of the Show Mom trying to shirk on the deal, saying "I never promised you could go, just that I'd try to get you in. They said no." or something, before everything finally locks in place.

I'm thirding the "Good Episode" vibe. This show has some great energy. I'm kinda iffy on the Deus ex of this just falling into their lap (How did new girl find them again? She was on the train, sure, but did she just stalk them home after over hearing them? I must have missed something) but hey I'm having fun.

Also lol at the show being a "streaming" show. Internet down there is...limited to say the least.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Crain posted:

I'm thirding the "Good Episode" vibe. This show has some great energy. I'm kinda iffy on the Deus ex of this just falling into their lap (How did new girl find them again? She was on the train, sure, but did she just stalk them home after over hearing them? I must have missed something) but hey I'm having fun.

Well they made a pretty huge scene at the meetup, which Yuzuki was at. Wouldn't be too hard to ask someone there "who the hell was that?" and get Shirase's name and then go look up her address. It sounded like Shirase was a repeat offender as far as the Antarctica meetup group was concerned.

Anyway yeah I thoroughly enjoyed the episode, I love all of these characters, the character animation and their goofy interactions and expressions are just fantastic. The comedic timing is great and I love all the little physical comedy bits.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Shirase is such a huge adorable dork.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

cathead posted:

Well they made a pretty huge scene at the meetup, which Yuzuki was at. Wouldn't be too hard to ask someone there "who the hell was that?" and get Shirase's name and then go look up her address. It sounded like Shirase was a repeat offender as far as the Antarctica meetup group was concerned.

Derp, I did forget something. Thanks for clearing that up.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What an amazing show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Viridiant posted:

Shirase is such a huge adorable dork.

She's so loving good. I love how she puts up a facade of being the "tall, dark, beautiful and aloof" archetype and then the instant you actually get past that she's revealed to be this massive, hilarious disaster