Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
crybaby rules and I will be spending some time reading/watcher other DEVILMAN series for the foreseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Endorph posted:

the word miki and miko or whatever their names are use for love is the literal romantic word for love, using it for someone you don't love romantically would be super weird and strange. they're gay. they're in love with each other. that is the literal text of the piece. they say they love each other. because they are gay. they turn to each other and use a word, that a japanese person would never use for saying they love someone like a friend. there are a very few contexts where you might use it for platonic love, like if you were goofing around and exaggerating how much you love someone, but that is clearly not the context of the scene. the scene is dramatic and meaningful and the characters know they're having a deep conversation, using the words and phrases they used for platonic love in that context would make negative sense. every aspect of the scene is framed as a romantic confession.

you're a literal bastard and every word you've said in this thread has made my blood boil, please never post again.

No but don't you see, no one on the show looks directly at the camera and says "I'm a homosexual and in love with someone who is the same gender as me" so they can't be gay!

DEVILMAN crybaby is 100% straight.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

C-SPAN Caller posted:

They should make a Devilman Lady sequel to this that doesn't suck, imo

DEVILMAN crylady

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Miki and Miko are really obviously as gay as Ryo and Akira

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

NumberLast posted:

They might be gay but it's not explicit

There's ansolutely evidence that Miki is straight

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Endorph posted:

okay let's put this down to democracy

quote this post if you think miko and miki are gay

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Same

Expect My Mom posted:

just anecdotally, as a bi person, I call myself gay constantly

im the problem with bi erasure

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Endorph posted:

quote this post if you think the russian dog man is denying the validity of readings different from his

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Jose posted:

the dick is too big clearly

Not big enough

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Okay, seriously, what the gently caress is "subculture"

Japanese nerds seem really obsessed with how much "subculture" sucks and yet their use of the word (in contexts like that review and Pop Team Epic) has basically no relation at all to what I understand the word to mean

e: also yeah, that guy sounds like a huge idiot rear end in a top hat and i really hope he's getting ripped in the comments

Maybe it's closer to "low culture"?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Motto posted:

Protoculture

If you don't know the culture, here's the whole structure

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

dogsicle posted:

Preoders for the bluray box are now up, ANN details the contents here: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-01-24/devilman-crybaby-blu-ray-includes-vinyl-original-soundtrack/.126782

most importantly it has english subtitles!!!

quote:

The whole set retails for 32,400 yen (US$295). Pre-orders close on May 21.

Who spends that much money on 10 episodes?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

dogsicle posted:

me, immediately after i found out it would actually have english subs

I will be waiting for the english blu ray that will have all the same features and a japanese voice track and english subtitles but for a price that isn't absurd.

(The real price is waiting for it to come out, if it ever does)

Alan_Shore posted:

I want that soundtrack. I doubly want it on vinyl. Not for $300 though lol

:yossame:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
What if Netflix just kept paying new directors to do Devilman again but with an extra moon each time?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Miko doesn't just become more confident, she becomes aggressive, physically dominant, prone to violence, and her entire wardrobe changes to become more sporty. Everything about the way she presents and conducts herself completely changes, and not picking up on the obvious gender cues is just obtuse. She even has the exact same physical dimensions as the other two devilmen.

Yeah because if there's two thing trans men are known for it's being violent and having huge tits

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Women are allowed to be physically fit and wear sports gear, those aren't exclusive to men.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I thought that episode where Miko orders testosterone online was out of place but I guess I was wrong

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Miko was physically fit before she became a devilman, but before she was a devilman she also had a clearly feminine body shape that radically changes when she undergoes the demonic transition. Women are certainly allowed to be physically fit and wear sports gear, but sporty women are also commonly considered to be Tom Boys and to have more masculine presentation than other women - and unlike Miki Miko is never coded feminine after her transition into being a devilman. Secondary sexual characteristics aren't even a defining element of gender identity, and focusing on her tits to dismiss every other transgender characteristic is reductive. You may as well be saying nobody with big tits could possibly be gender queer.

It's weird how invested you all are in dismissing the only character with transgender overtones from a queer show.

You seem to be putting forth your transgender interpretation of Miko exclusively so that Miki and Miko aren't "really" lesbians. All of your arguments have relied on gender essentialist interpretations of behaviour and femininity. None of Miko's coding implies that she's transgender unless both Akira and Ryo are also transmen. Every Devilman becomes taller, more physically fit and confident after being possessed and you seem to think that only men are tall, physically fit and confident.

I mean for gently caress's sake, look at your post.

quote:

but sporty women are also commonly considered to be Tom Boys and to have more masculine presentation than other women
loving really?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Endorph posted:

so wait, miko becomes a spider-woman because spiders have different gender dynamics than humans because female spiders are stronger, but then she's also meant to be a transman? so she exhibits a male gender identity by taking on traits of a female animal? wouldn't her taking on traits of an animal species that has a dominant female imply that the transformation is about her becoming a woman that can overpower men, as opposed to about becoming a man?

Well you see female spiders are actually masculine

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's explicit that Akira and Koda underwent a hypermasculine transformation when they became devilmen, so the masculine dimensions of the demonic transition are undeniable.

Oh yeah I forgot that only men can be sporty, fit or confident

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You tried to bring up Ryo to disregard the masculine interpretation, but Ryo isn't demonic, he's an angel.

No, I didn't.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I've been dating a transgender man and he hasn't turned into a giant spider even once

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
It's actually pretty easy to interpret characters as trans without being gender essentialist or vaguely homophobic

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You can't talk about being gender queer or transgender without dealing directly with gender.

Yes but you can talk about gender without being gender essentialist. Well not you, you're a complete dipshit but the general "you".

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Maybe you need to explain why it's wrong to make a transgender and genderqueer interpretation of a character making a physical and social transition which is explicitly more masculine then. "Masculine" and "feminine" are essentially gendered traits, and if a character completely defies the traits of what would be cissex heteronormativity why is it wrong to read that as trans?

You're constantly putting gender neutral traits into the "masculine" box and then declaring that any character showing any of these traits mist be a man. Plus you keep saying weird poo poo like what you said about Xinder's girlfriend that makes me think that you know nothing about trans people.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Aurora posted:

miko is a lesbian

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
"im not denying other interpretations! im not denying other interpretations!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a gas light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I dunno, I think loving satan was part of the point

• Locked thread