Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

Does this mean we are getting a violence jack reboot

Maybe the planet was suddenly restored at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ccs posted:

Ryo is good except he died and couldn't save humanity. Dang.

Akira you mean. Ryo is the one who made everything worse.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 6, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't see how god was reflected poorly here. Satan and his Demons were assholes the whole time. God punished them and brought forth humanity. After Satan made his move to cause fear and panic in the world God still only tired to destroy the demons and spare humanity, but the Demons were too vicious and evil and caused all of mankind to die. Satan makes his plan clear to kill all of humanity then attack god again.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean at a bare minimum he used Earth as Satan's prison/exile, meaning he basically handed him an army in the form of the previously-wild demons and then either created humanity on top of that powder keg, or at the very least didn't intervene as Satan wiped us all out until it was too late.

Plus all the usual problems of theodicy, of course. :v:

From the way Satan explained it. He was cast out and chose earth as his refuge uniting the Demons under him to attack God. God proceeded to try and wipe them out to destroy Satan and his followers. Then created Humanity on the planet. Satan and many demons survived and resurfaced however and proceeded with their plan to wipe out humanity then take another go at God.

Indeed he did not intervene except with one attempt to annihilate the Demons in one chunk of the world, but spare humanity. However after that most of humanity was destroyed up until the final battle between Satan and his followers, the last remnants of humanity, and Akira's Devilmen. God then proceeded to scorch the earth and reset it in a new loop once the remnants of humanity and Akira's Devilmen were defeated. Likely God was hoping Satan would be defeated by Akira or the Remnants of humanity and it could start over with the Demons gone.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Didn't literally two of them at the end betray their friends and even celebrated with their torn friends dismembered corpses? gently caress that half

Still enjoyed the show, not perfect and probably could have used a few more episodes so it didn't feel like we went from a shounen monster of the week anime to suddenly revelations

Two of them backstabbed them. One of them (the quiet beatboxing one.) recognized Kakun's Glasses on Miko's stuff and assumed she killed him, which is what appears to have led to his betrayal. (I assume he was actually just killed by a demon at the Sabbath.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I agree this could have used an extra 2 or 3 episodes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Feels like it could have used a few more episodes.

Also Jinmen was not as strong as he is in other adaptions. I feel the scene was weakened by Ryo's presence there.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KidDynamite posted:

Also Pshyco Jim loving owns and I don’t know why.

Psycho Jenny. She is one of the most iconic Demons of the franchise. (I feel I should note that Jenny almost never dies in Devilman. Only having died in one prior adaption that demoted her to a monster of the week rather then Satan's second in command. So Jenny's sudden death at the end was rather surprising.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
One of the most amazing things for me to learn is that Devilman the manga was produced in a shonen magazine.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So can anyone help with something thats bugging me about the opening. When the Demons all flash through the screen there is one of them I can't identify.

Kiem

Silene

Got no clue who this is.

Miko

Jinmen

Who is the third one?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Expect My Mom posted:

it's probably Zenon, he has a third vertical eye like that along with two horns

Oh yeah now I see it. Yeah it's Zenon/Xenon.

Who came out a bit weak in this adaption.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ninjewtsu posted:

Whenever I hear about poo poo that was added and wasn't in the Manga I always go "drat that was one of my favorite parts"

I mean Taro eating his mom wasn't in the manga? And neither was miko?

Miko was in the manga but she was very diffrent. Her design was different too. That Devilman that was being experimented on and squirted out acid goop in the final episode was based on her original design.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Miko shows up in a lot of adaptions how major her character is depends. Crybaby is the first time she really looked different from normal.

Original Manga

Amon Ova

Grimore. (In her normal outfit cause the one I found of her Demon form was super disgusting.)

And lots of others.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

She wasn’t really much of a character, either, just an indicator of ‘oh, hey, there are other devilmen, and it kind of sucks to be them’. Miko actually has more in common with Jun’s swimming rival from Devilman Lady, although her arc ends... uhh... very differently.

Doesn't she get possessed by Silene.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Please, for all that's good, do not read Devilman Lady without being ready to encounter the most rape you've ever seen in any work of fiction. I'm on volume four and I've never seen so much rape before in anything, anywhere, and Go Nagai shows no signs of slowing down. For all he can draw well and do horror well, my god is he willing to put all of his kinks on the table and not in a good way.

It's shocking we got an anime adaptation out of it, honestly, let alone one that decided that Lady needed to grow to be 50ft tall every ep to fight demons, because.... listen, tokusatsu is popular, okay.

Never read it myself. But I heard it more or less goes away around the mid point of the series.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Jinmen happened after Silene in the manga.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This is also great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoO84tyVqvQ

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Part V is coming soon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

The old Devilman show is a reference to a concept that first cropped up in Devilman Lady - every time God defeats Satan, he resets the world and Akira and Ryo’s adventures become fiction. It’s an ominous little warning - all this has happened before, all this will happen again - which is delivered upon with the reset at the end, as the old, ruined Earth becomes another moon.

I assume a reset would not happen if Akira won.

Also I know that Psycho Jenny knows of the loops. (And can ditch said loops at any moment.) Speaking of Psycho Jenny I think Crybaby is probably the best Psycho Jenny design.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 12, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bleusilences posted:

There is a devilman (woman?) with this body in episode 10, when the devil horde attack area 51.

I remarked on that. Saying Original Miko had a cameo in the final episode.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Devilman Grimoire looks decently interesting. Maybe give it an adaption.

(Note:Have never read Devilman Grimoire.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

It does not. The hydra/chimera is Zenon, his top lieutenant, who’s a major presence in the endgame but does not blow up the planet. The final panel is Satan weeping over Akira’s corpse as the forces of Heaven descend on him.

Zenon got sort of robbed in Crybaby as mentioned

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kingtheninja posted:

Skimmed through the Manga today. Kind of surprised to see it was about as graphic as the show. What year did that come out?

June 11, 1972

Surprisingly for how influential it is, it only went on for a little more then a year.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

God is certainly a less actively hostile figure this time around (in the manga, he explicitly obliterates Russia to prevent nuclear war, and doesn’t just turn demons who get too close into salt, but humans as well), but he’s not actively helpful, either. He very specifically does not lift a finger to save humanity, exemplified by the good Christians of Miki’s family dying horribly, and comes across instead as having a single-minded grudge against Satan and the legions of hell - note how the Earth is rejected and discarded at the beginning and end of the series. That also fits with the overall theme of emotion being a beautiful weakness - Satan describes him as ‘cold’, and it matches the logic of the show for the pure, focused, ruthless killer to come out on top, and for that to be a tragedy rather than a triumph.

Well he did not blow up the Earth and reset it until Satan won and Humanity was gon. I assume the reason he did not act during the final battle is that he hoped Akira would win and save the last remnants of Humanity.

Like he appears to be trying as hard as possible to avoid destroying Humanity only acting to destroy Russia and its Demons to prevent Nuclear annihilation. Then reseting the world when Humanity despite Akira and the last remnants of Humanity's efforts to defeat Satan.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dogsicle posted:

i was very disappointed in the silene gently caress scene. really lacking in good gently caress

also crybaby psycho jenny is the best version i have scene, oshiyama is a god at doing demon designs

Yeah I really like the design of Crybaby Psycho Jenny.

Though I do agree she could have had more screen time alongside Zennon. As Psycho Jenny is one of the only beings that knows about the strange timeloop. It was also weird that they killed Psycho Jenny so easily in the final battle as something like that normally would not work against her. Along with the fact that tends to not die in various Devilman media.

Overall I say Crybaby could have used 2 or 3 more episodes.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 20, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Octo1 posted:

I'm pretty sure that girl is supposed to be Lala from the 70s anime. https://youtu.be/gWGRyxBkvxg

I am pretty sure it was Walvath.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Personal_Nirvana posted:

So about the ending...was God's intervention triggered by Ryo awakening as Satan, or the fall of humanity? Because the time-loop theory (is that canon?) implies that God has a massive gruge against Satan and tries to destroy him everytime he notices his presence. Earth is just colateral damage. Having never read Devilman Lady, does Nagai explain the "resets", or is something open to interpretation?

Well he appears to wait to see if something can stop Satan first, before hitting the reset button.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

imo the ending thematically defies the time loop.

The fact there is a second moon and the earth is back to normal says that is not the case.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Can't they all just be Bi and make everyone happy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dogsicle posted:

the acid breastmilk devilman really has it rough
Thats Miko

Liver Disaster posted:

I just read a lot of posts since yesterday and to catch up, yes that's Louisa Ferre from SMT:SJ, Miki and Miko are together in two moon world, and whoever recommended Re: Cutie Honey and those that supported this are good people and I appreciate you all.

Huh hey Miko did not realize you cameoed there.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh just found out that this Demon was the one who attacked Miko and Kukun at the Sabbath.

She was initially in her human guise from Devilman G.

In the original Manga she worked with Jinmen for a bit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly most of the Demon Girls humanoid forms are cute in Devilman G

And then they get somewhat freaky.

Except for Naza who never shows a human form but is cute at all times in Demon Form if you ignore her breasts.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I recall one of Jenny's powers was being able to jump into and out of alternate realities and actually warp how reality worked. Crybaby Psycho Jenny is actually one of the weaker versions as that tactic that beat her here would have never worked in most adaptions.

I recall original Manga Jenny also both wiped Satan's memories and restored them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xinder posted:

So over the past week my gf and I went from being vaguely aware that Devilman is some old series to watching all of Crybaby, preordering the original manga's rerelease, are currently watching the ovas, and planning to watch the vs Cyborg 009 movie since it's also on netflix.

Anything else Devilman branded worth checking out? I know to avoid Lady.

I hear Devilman Grimoire is pretty good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So, uh, holy gently caress, TVTropes just informed me that Go Nagai did a really faithful manga version of the Inferno part of The Divine Comedy. Has this ever been translated? I need to inject all of that into my eyeballs right the gently caress now.

Well Zenon is literally just Satan from Inferno. Makes sense he likes it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Alan_Shore posted:

I read the first volume of Devilman Grimoire and I really like it. It's very different so far (no Ryo, what the heck) but I like the witch stuff, Miki, and it's super gorey. Recommended!

There is Asuka Himura the punk who is friends with Miko who resembles Ryo.

There also is a villain named Ryo at the end of the series, but it's Zenon's human form not Satan and he looks diffrent.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 9, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Go for Devilman Grimoire instead.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I might as well add things can change. Had Satan been defeated and the Demons destroyed before they wiped out Humanity, it's unlikely that God would have destroyed the world. He seems to only do so when Satan wins.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

turtlecrunch posted:

Hi I watched this yesterday since it looked like it was 2d and not one of those lovely cgi Netflix animes. I wasn't really...prepared.

I have some questions...

1) What is the significance of the earring one of the rap guys gives to Miki and says it will protect her, then it doesn't protect her or Akira? Satan kind of gasped at it but I wasn't sure if that meant anything. I also wondered if it was supposed to be a parallel to Koda wearing his boyfriend's pendant or Miko carrying Butterfly's glasses, but I couldn't figure out what it meant in that context.

2) Did Miko eat Butterfly or did he die at the party? Was it his body or the rapist's she was keeping at her apartment?

e: 6) What was the deal with that not-Butterfly guy in the clothing shop that tried to get the rappers arrested?

1. Wam's charm was just that, a charm.

2. Kukun died at the party. The body at her apartment was her grandmother who had passed away for reasons unknown.

6. He was just an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Solice Kirsk posted:

But his hand was sitting outside her apartment wasn't it? I think they left it ambiguous as to what actually killed him on purpose. It could have been other demons at the party or it could have been Miko. I think the fact that it was outside their apartments hints more that she killed him.

The hand was in the party area if you take a look.

• Locked thread