Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Why does Ryo have Jake the Snake's theme music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I watched the Devilman, it's alright

First 4 episodes are dull as dishwater, made me regret watching

5-10 are great

7/10

Blessed be our Lord Gay Devil Jesus

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Akira is Jesus so he feels love and empathy for all things

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The tone is pitch black. You are likely to get hosed by a gay devil

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Darth Walrus posted:

She wasn’t really much of a character, either, just an indicator of ‘oh, hey, there are other devilmen, and it kind of sucks to be them’. Miko actually has more in common with Jun’s swimming rival from Devilman Lady, although her arc ends... uhh... very differently.

If you read the manga, you’ll find it pretty rough and bare-bones compared to Crybaby. A surprising amount of the flesh to the story has some sort of roots in Lady, but let’s just say that it soon becomes obvious why Yuasa asset-stripped that story for cool ideas rather than adapting it.

the anime is bloated compared to the manga

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Tbh, I would have preferred yuasa do violence jack because it's ok by me for you to take liberties with that

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s weird I taught bible school for 6 years and never reconciled that “maintaining your faith” was the morally righteous way to live, but I was also teaching teens so the conversations never really got that in depth. We talked lot about your first point, bad things happen to good people and it’s not a punishment because the world doesn’t work in that binary way. The ending there is also bullshit because “my wife, friends and children all died but then I got new ones so it’s ok!” is a non-reward, considering that in general God doesn’t punish innocent people in the book of Job he is very deliberately setting out to ruin Job’s life over nothing, so it’s simply God solving a problem of his own creation.

I guess I disagree with your position on the ending. I’m not demanding everything adhere to “The Hero with 1,000 Faces” but Akira is basically the exact same person through all 10 episodes, then is punished and murdered, and Ryo still wins and gets everything they set out to achieve, but because everything was totally stacked in his favor from the beginning it doesn’t require him to grow or change. I also don’t read “He misses Akira” as growth or change because he’s clearly always cared about him and just had this deluded fantasy that they’d end up happily ever after.

I feel like there were plenty of places the ending could have gone without hitting rock bottom and rolling credits, but I also understand that a key divergence in Eastern vs Western culture is that Westerners think a sad ending is a bittersweet, silver lining kind of thing, and it’s way more eastern and specifically more Japanese to just go “everything is totally hosed, Good-Bye” because they don’t need their hands held all the time, they get washed away and rained on and melted by volcanoes like every 40 years, they understand that life is uncaring.

Still that does make a lot of sense, I like that interpretation.

the ending is happy, satan got owned and the earth has 2 moons now. i think everyone's life would be better if we had two moons

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

StarMinstrel posted:

You underestimate the abundance of us filthy casuals.

they're called normies

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

No one has answered my question yet

Why do Ryo and Jake the snake Roberts have the same theme song

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Devilmeme

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I disagree about binge watching because I think I would have liked the first 4 episodes more if I had watched them with a week's break

It's too much bad poo poo at one time

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ZDR is dead

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

It could also be because traditionally, demons were hermaphroditic. Like how succubi collect semen and implant it in a woman by transforming into incubi, or how Baphomet has aspects of both males and females like breasts and a beard. This is, of course in contrast to angels who are sexless and genderless. Demons exist in a liminal state, which makes them both dangerous and alluring, fraught with danger. This idea of liminal states is why there's so much folk magic concerning doors, like jack-o-lanterns and carrying a bride over the doorway. So, in fact, Go Nagai is actually staying true to traditional demonolgy by having everyone attracted to people with hidden genders.

That or Go Nagai was really horney and wanted to see Akira gently caress some dude pussy

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DisDisDis posted:

Why can't these people get a single manga reader for their podcast I'm so heckin mad

let's make our own anime podcast

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah I really like the design of Crybaby Psycho Jenny.

Though I do agree she could have had more screen time alongside Zennon. As Psycho Jenny is one of the only beings that knows about the strange timeloop. It was also weird that they killed Psycho Jenny so easily in the final battle as something like that normally would not work against her. Along with the fact that tends to not die in various Devilman media.

Overall I say Crybaby could have used 2 or 3 more episodes.

They should have compressed the first 4 episodes into one and then put in 3 more episodes

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

my dude God owned satan really hard

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Nagai, tezuka, ishinomori and matsumoto are the Big Dudes imo

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

that Stephen king quote about how horror fans are the nicest people you'll ever meet

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

nm

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 22, 2018

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ack

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I don't remember any of the music in this show other than Ryo's because it sounds like Jake the Snake

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

MarsDragon posted:

You forgot Yokoyama.

I forgot

ABORT ABORT ABORT

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Wait is Violence Jack a Devilman story? I thought it was completely separate.

Violence Jack is the Dark Tower of Go Nagai, everything shows up there

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Don't say trope

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Davincie posted:

trope is a perfectly fine word

Not anymore

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I've been looking online for some Devilman fanart and I've found a lot of Ryo ^^

Sorry that it's all Western :(

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Expect My Mom posted:

you can't not post the literal statue of lucifer that got removed for being too sexy and people couldnt stop looking at in church

I don't like Le génie du mal too much because it's too Miltonian

i say, in a thread about devilman

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Expect My Mom posted:

that's fair, older depictions of the devil are buckwild. i just extremely have milton on the brain these days.

I took a class on the devil last semester, wrote my final paper on the miltonian devil and how it crosses over into the SMT series and now I'm probably gonna have to re-read Paradise Lost again this semester for another class

that's cool, i never got to take classes on the devil :(

at mass today we prayed the St. Michael prayer and we asked him to throw satan into hell so that has to count for something

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Miko is a lesbian.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Miko is still, a lesbian

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

And, lo, from out of the clouds Christ descended and said to His apostles: "Miko is a lesbian"

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I agree, the show is pretty uneven but the back half of the show is great

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

i mean

it's only 1 month in 2018, there's a lot of shows coming up

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm glad Ryo got owned by God

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

And More posted:

It's really funny that god briefly interferes to screw over Ryo's plan, and then just lets things play out for the rest of the show. What's His deal, anyway?

Because they're playing out the events of revelation

God always sticks to the plan

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

No socks?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Maybe Devilman crybaby doesn't have cycles because it's a new thing

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The end of Devilman Crybaby is happy, God creates New Heaven and New Earth without Satan or demons, that's why there's two moons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Gnosticism is also anti-semitic; by saying that the God of the Old Testament is evil you're condemning the whole Jewish religion

Marcion thew out the whole Old Testament from his canon because he didn't want Christianity to be "tainted" with Jewish ideas

• Locked thread