Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RME
Feb 20, 2012

puberty sure is hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I'm really unsure what i think of crybaby, it was kind of uneven

RME
Feb 20, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I read Devilman volumes 2-5 yesterday and spent the rest of the day in existential despair. And yet - there's all of the groundwork for Shin Megami Tensei (especially 1+2) right there. It was wild to see how - blatant it was? Like, the threat of nuking Japan, literally everything about the opening sections of SMT 1 - wow. I'd say SMT ripped it off except that it took the threat of demons and took it in a wildly different and ultimately optimistic way that doesn't end with everyone dead, forever.

Just most people. :v:

So of course, like a smart person, I just watched Devilman Crybaby episode 1 and holy. That was wonderful and twice as weird and there's no way in hell it could've aired anywhere but netflix.

Not a fan of some of the changes, but the core story is there and I can't wait to watch more... later. I can't stomach volumes 2-5 again so soon. Calling Miko a witch is the worst thing the show is doing by way of foreshadowing.

If anything nocturne is basically devilman fan fiction
Demifiends design is even vaguely similar

RME
Feb 20, 2012

it was harenchi gakuen wasnt it?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm pretty sure watching Devilman, while not enough to destroy casual status, does rather disqualify you from most descriptors derived from "normal".

It’s on netflix and actively promoted on it, the most normie exposure it can get

RME
Feb 20, 2012

its a really good panel

RME
Feb 20, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

These people are dumb, imo

I can't wait to talk for two hours straight about how yaoi having feminine gay men and murder-torture is extremely woke while you explain theology to me

Finally a podcast I can listen to

RME
Feb 20, 2012

im an at least bisexual

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Well here it is folks the top three bisexuals in fiction
1. Vamp from MGS
2. The cat from sabrina the teenage witch
3. Nero

Sorry but once again Miko just can’t compete with those ahead of her, a sad but fitting conclusion to her arc

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Satan finally realizing his love for Akira then trying to reconcile what he just did is a real good use of irony, imo
And god blowing everything the gently caress up really seals how pyrrhic his victory was

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Miki and other Miki don't tell us anything about their sexuality or their romantic feelings. They say they love one another.

This isn't to say that they aren't queer, but focusing on the potential queerness is overlooking the more overt, explicit and more radical interpretation.

Miko wants to gently caress

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Phantasium posted:

tbh when I first watched it I was only paying attention to the subtitles and not the spoken word so I could have seen it as not being romantic at first.

but then you pointed that out in your posts before this one and it made perfect sense.

I can’t
The way it’s lead up, the drama of it all, the conclusion of self sacrifice, her finally reaching clarity in her feelings and expressing it

Love can mean a lot of different things in English but that doesn’t mean every use of the word is going to be ambiguous and we can generally figure this out for ourselves kind of intuitively

RME
Feb 20, 2012

RME
Feb 20, 2012

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i dont have to explicitly state youre being a dumbass for you to be one, but you are

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

okay let's put this down to democracy

quote this post if you think miko and miki are gay

RME
Feb 20, 2012

maybe when you try to imply that are people are only reading miko as queer because of a gaslighting effort, you shouldnt act all surprised when no one takes you seriously with "im not trying to deny/downplay that reading"
and if you try to say that's a joke, well, those often reveal true feelings

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

No, the gaslighting effort is to make people believe that Miko is exclusively lesbian. The translation of daisuki as a word that has exclusive romantic connotations was wrong, and to insist that it still does is arguing in bad faith. Interpreting Miko as gay or bi is valid, and interpreting her as straight is also valid - as is the trans interpretation. There's a more complete reading of the material than the assumption that a character must be definitively categorized.

what the gently caress are you going on about people were saying Miko means I love you romantically and now youre somehow fixed on "exclusively lesbian"

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I like that part where Akira wants to see Miki's boobs so hard that he gains the power of x-ray vision.

forbidden anime bush

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the show stands on its own pretty well, i think

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ill never gently caress

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

just anecdotally, as a bi person, I call myself gay constantly

im the problem with bi erasure

same, but partly because i feel queer sounds weird outside of more academic conexts

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

i also use queer if im just trying to describe myself quickly, but i also talk to a lot of Queer Academics so i get it.

also I'm Gay LoL is just a better punchline

i mean its a really useful term and something like it needs to exist, but there's a very different feel to saying I'm Queer just like how saying I'm bi and bisexual are subtly different in register

RME
Feb 20, 2012

you have a lot of things to say about what you've never said

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

I've been looking online for some Devilman fanart and I've found a lot of Ryo ^^

Sorry that it's all Western :(

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

I tell my close friends I love them all the time. Doesn't mean I want to have a romantic relationship with all of them. There's alot of different types of love.

It’s kind of patronizing to tout multiple types of love as some revelation. Like drat, that’s a realization that young children have, you really think anyone responding to you wouldn’t know that?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

hey lets be reasonable
she was probably alive when he started eating her

• Locked thread