Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wasn't gonna post in here cause i don't really have much of a bone in most of the discussion but i feel obligated to say that everything c-span's said makes me want to burn everything to the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Expect My Mom posted:

yall won't let queer people have anything huh?

gay people are much like straight people, in that when they think someone is physically or emotionally attractive, they will say i love you to them

it is not a code, or a cryptic puzzle

it just happens like that

hm... but what if they're secretly saying they only platonically love them. i don't think we can make a judgment on this without enough evidence, it's going to take a bit more research into the laws of homosexuals

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
daisucky (tl: great sucky)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

okay let's put this down to democracy

quote this post if you think miko and miki are gay

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Eh maybe we should take a break from Devilman Crybaby and watch another Go Nagai adaptation, perhaps one where this specific derail will be very unlikely to happen so we can all get along.

Re:Cutie Honey

re:cutie honey loving owns and i'd loving hate the discourse that would go down in a thread about it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

in the scene where the lady cop wants to gently caress cutie honey, its actually a deep insight into how much women shouldnt want to gently caress other women

cutie honey, after getting kissed by a police woman who is a modern interpretation of her girlfriend from previous versions of the story: Natsuko is... my eternal partner!

internet forum poster: she obviously meant partner in platonic crime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think what people are really getting mad about is that by questioning their assumptions, they think I'm trying to take away their sense of representation. The central thesis of Crybaby is universally representational, and you don't need to be exactly the same as any one character to feel represented by them. You should even be able to see yourself in Satan.

Insisting that characters definitely want to gently caress isn't supported in the text, because in Crybaby wanting to gently caress anyone is always bad. True love isn't about loving, and saying that Miko might love Miki non-sexually doesn't mean they're just "good friends." True love is familial, and it's a family rooted in interpersonal relationships that transcends ethnicity and blood ties. It's a pure Christian influenced love that even transcends the wrathful nature of God.

:thunk:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm going to post a list of anime featuring lesbians that i love that i can think of off the top of my head rn in no order for anyone itt who might like it

girls' last tour
new game
re:cutie honey
euphonium
amanchu
magic of stella
little witch academia
utena
sailor moon s (minus some weird eps done by directors who weren't on board)
encouragement of climb
maidragon
flip flappers

do with it what you will. this list now belongs to everyone

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
god-tier own: ryo kills akira and then instead of white balls, god drops giant blue balls on him

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Compendium posted:

Cutie Honey looks fun, maybe someday I will give it a spin

re:cutie honey is one of the best ovas ever made

you can, uh, skip most other cutie honey things

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah the original cutie honey manga is just, really gross and pervy in a bad way and doesn't have much of a point to end on since it doesn't have an actual ending. the anime is slightly better but it still literally incinerates honey's girlfriend halfway through and doesn't have an ending, shin cutie honey is sort of a direct sequel and it's significantly better than both but again, no ending

re:cutie honey is just a really awesome story about a police woman's relationship with honey that portrays them both as mega badasses who don't need to rely on each other to be awesome but kick extra tons of rear end when they do, and actually uses its goofy fanservice and nudity in an interesting way narratively that i really appreciate on top of liking boobs and butts

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
go nagai constantly had a raging boner and nobody could really tell him to stop

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Expect My Mom posted:

yeah, also people just have much more nice things to say about nagai than they do miyazaki

go nagai murdered the pta in a manga, miyazaki murdered his son's childhood in real life

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think goro deserved to have hayao miyazaki as a dad, and not because of anything to do with working in anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

whats this now

i forget the specifics but hayao miyazaki was just a lovely absentee father to his son, who just ended up growing up on his movies, and after earthsea he told him never to direct another movie again

it went as far as goro calling his dad a great filmmaker and a horrible father

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

Even after seven clarifications ANN still hasn't explained that dude's complaint. He's mad about increasing western influence/attempts to pander to westerners in anime, which are often wrongheaded and stupid and hurt the creators. The director of Shirobako got chewed out a few months ago for his show 'not appealing to westerners at all,' even though it's passably popular in the West. Devilman Crybaby was funded by Netflix, a western company, so that guy was using it as a springboard to talk about his issues with Japanese artists and creators having to sacrifice their own visions to appeal to people from countries they've never been to.

Now:

1) Netflix exercised no creative control on Crybaby.
2) Yuasa clearly stuck to his own vision.
3) Crybaby is popular in Japan, too.

So that guy's complaints are still dumb and easily dismissed, but he is coming from a somewhat reasonable place, it's just the leap from that place to getting mad about Crybaby that he fucks up on.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the second season of space dandy has more cool, weird arthousey stuff and imo elevates it to one of the best anime ever. the ep oshiyama (as previously mentioned, one of the character designers for crybaby) did on it is just about dandy getting stuck on a fishing planet and befriending a little girl and an old man, it trades the crasser humor for weird visuals and goofy scenes of dandy just kinda hanging out with people and it owns. my favorite watanabe anime is champloo and i think space dandy's ending is on about the same level as champloo's and legit one of the best things i've seen in an anime, and it does a very effective job wrapping up a naturally scattered show into feeling like a cohesive whole

basically if you liked any of the weirder eps of space dandy s1 i think you should totally give s2 a look because weird and character-focused eps are all it is

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 28, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Women are allowed to be physically fit and wear sports gear, those aren't exclusive to men.

i'm a woman

*looks at own muscles and hands wearing martial arts gloves*

wait... no... poo poo...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what does it mean if i dream of being a buff, confident badass who knows karate and also has big-rear end titties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

• Locked thread