Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
As part of my resolution to actually immerse myself in anime instead of just reading manga, I sat down and watched the first five episodes of this since I've seen it all over Twitter. I'm only kinda sorta familiar with Go Nagai's work and what the old Devilman OVA was like so in a way, I'm coming into this show pretty fresh.

I really like it, it's fast paced, it knows what it's about and despite looking wonky at times in art style, it works for the show's favor instead of against it. Music is awesome and I like it when Ryo and Akira hug, it's very sweet. I'll probably be able to finish in a week and I'll put some final thoughts down. If anything, this show reminds me why I love anime.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Hi guys what's going on-

:stare:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
A snippet of my experience of watching Devilman Crybaby.

Ep 2: "Why don't I see Jenny's face?"

Later...

Ep 5: "Oh."

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The great thing about this show to me is sometimes just looking at how wonky some of the shots are kind of make me break out laughing despite the heaviness of what's happening in a scene.

Like, the scene in episode 7 where Ryo and Akira are talking and they just kind of look like undefined blobs, which looks especially weird w/ Ryo and his baggy white pants. It's the little things for me.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Condiv posted:

yes, but who is the cat gay for?

Food?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I don't think you're using that word right

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
You didn't see Ryo having a sex dream about Akira, but there you go

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Endorph posted:

okay let's put this down to democracy

quote this post if you think miko and miki are gay

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Quick question, is Pener having a stroke

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

if it's just a weird yuasa joke, then it's a huge coincidence that it lines up more or less perfectly with the way the time loop poo poo is established as working.

e: also i don't think pener is really completely wrong, in the sense that he's starting from correct premises. i think it's more accurate to say that Crybaby uses sex as a visual metaphor for base, animalistic urges than it is to say that Crybaby is outright anti-sex, and i would use pretty much all the same evidence pener's putting forth to support that claim.

Yeah, I agree. I think Crybaby definitely makes sex and sexual lust gross and stuff and it accents characters' state of mind and psychology rather than telling us, "Never have sex ever." Especially when the sex is outside the context of anything considered remotely healthy or human for that matter.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, I liked the Makimuras in general, they were a nice family, RIP nice people in this show

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

DisDisDis posted:

Crybaby devil form is hotter and if you wouldn't choose to gently caress the devil form every time I don't want to talk to you

But then I'd die after the first time, what then

I agree about the hotness though.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The theme being make sure it's age-appropriate, consensual and have no demons and satanic parties involved?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That's why I added consensual you chump, don't ignore words just to try and sound more right

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I finished watching Crybaby proper a while ago, so I did say I wanted to put my final thoughts down, lovely posts aside.

This was a really fun anime to watch and I don't think I would have seen it if my Twitter timeline hadn't been talking about it and generating fanart all over the place. I just wanted to take the plunge because the past year I've stuck with mostly SoL animes or manga because it was low stress and relaxing. It's good to watch different things! I watched the dub because I really liked the voice acting. The script itself was weird and I will be honest and say I kind of burst out laughing when Ryo casually goes, "Oh, I'm Satan" and bursts into wings and confetti. But the actors sold every line to me no matter how weirdly written it was and that's all I needed to stay invested.

I already had a feeling things were going to go downhill because Akira was taking so much time to come to terms with being a Devilman and fighting short-term conflicts, that he couldn't see the bigger picture of what Ryo was really doing. So thankfully, I geared myself up once things literally went to hell. I really felt bad for the Makimuras because the show did a good job with showing what a close family they were, how principled the parents were, which made sense as to why Miki was hopelessly kind and understanding until the end, and how well they treated Akira; I'm glad the show went the whole hog with the hopelessness and how the power Akira gained did nothing to protect what was important to him, including his relationship with Ryo.

The connections people have made in the thread with Nagai's other works is pretty neat, the concept of God making Satan suffer over and over is interesting, especially when the result is that everything else around Satan is taken out with him.

Thinking back on it, I don't have a favorite episode because watching the whole thing made me appreciate it as a whole rather than just any singular episode. It's really easy to point out things that are bothersome when you watch piece by piece, but that's boring. Overall, Devilman Crybaby was a fascinating, grotesque, action-packed, and emotional rollercoaster of a show. Ironically, it just sprints ahead and you just have to keep up with it, but that's not a bad thing. The people behind this knew what they wanted to do, did it well, and it left a lasting impression on me and stupid posts on the internet.

ty, I don't write essays like this all the time, but it can be fun every once in a while

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Don't gaslight me

Endorph posted:

quote this post if you think the russian dog man is denying the validity of readings different from his

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Cutie Honey looks fun, maybe someday I will give it a spin

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Endorph posted:

re:cutie honey is really good but id never recommend the original manga unless you want a manga written by a guy who's intensely weird about... lesbians...

Judging by the other goon's reactions about Devilman Lady, Nagai being weird about lesbians sure is a thing huh

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

The Colonel posted:

i forget the specifics but hayao miyazaki was just a lovely absentee father to his son, who just ended up growing up on his movies, and after earthsea he told him never to direct another movie again

it went as far as goro calling his dad a great filmmaker and a horrible father

Ah, tale as old as time.

Smoking Crow posted:

that Stephen king quote about how horror fans are the nicest people you'll ever meet

Reminds me of how Kaori Yuki (Godchild, Angel Sanctuary, things filled w/ blood, horror, incest) is apparently pretty cool, while Natsuki Takaya (Fruits Basket, popular shoujo w/ lots of melodrama) is... not

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
That would be actually really cool if that was the case.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Filthy secondaries?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Is there one in Devilman and would it appear every loop :raise:

(joking aside, lmao at that post)

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Could have provided a more concrete example of a cultural touchstone that was hard to understand instead of something vague, made up, and dismissive

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

DisDisDis posted:

It's really hard to tell why there would be a horny titty cat lady in a show

what possible function could this serve

and yet somehow, the cynic in me doesn't doubt this exists

Although it just makes me think they watched a hentai

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

DisDisDis posted:

To be fair, the Monogatari series might not be the best newbie anime

:downs:

Or more appropriately, slowpoke emote for me

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I kind of like how this thread became worse than either Fate/UBW or the Apocrypha thread

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Fanart to make up for terrible posts

Source: http://anellatulip.tumblr.com/post/169673116219/mikimiko-whom-else-cried-like-a-baby-when-they

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Devilman: It's Okay When it's in a Threeway

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Don't loving start this poo poo again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
In a fit of madness, I read Devilman Lady really quickly and my final verdict is that it was kind of like a fever dream, it needed to trim down the talky dialogue, and it was mostly me going, "Well, that happened."

I really liked the line work, but it felt like the story was stretching itself really thinly and depended on the hosed up stuff to keep itself going and character motivations felt really muddled and it basically lost me when the characters went on for pages about mythology and theology.

• Locked thread