Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I've never read or watched any Devilman series prior to this but I loved this show. For me it perfectly hit the line of being as depressing as possible without making me feel apathetic. It's also the first story that's actually made me cry in like 5 years so good job.

A lot of people in this thread seem to be down on the fact that Ryo had no development and ultimately "won" but I completely disagree. Ryo did develop, just in the wrong direction. We were shown right from the start that he had the capability to feel but he rejects it because it isn't logical and he believes it only causes terrible things, which is reinforced from how humanity reacts to the revelation of demons.

In the end nobody won, Ryo became just as cold as the god he rebelled against and it caused him to lose the only person who understood he could be something more. Akira lost to Ryo's logic because feelings are a weakness, but ultimately Ryo lost because if you don't feel anything what's the point of being strong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

When Satan was reborn into the world the first thing the world tried to do was kill him. It's natural that he'd distrust everything he's not familiar with, even the capybaras - so the assumption that love isn't real was rational. He loved Akira in spite of that belief because he's never had cause to love anyone else, so there's nothing for him to relate his feelings to outside of Akira. The Devil doesn't even understand itself. Ryo develops in the right direction, because he ends up fully realizing the human experience. What wins in the end is the transformative power of love.

Yeah, I didn't mean that it's a completely hopeless everyone loses forever ending, just that saying Ryo wins and Akira loses misses the point. Besides isn't that kind of a thing with Masaaki anime? You fail and you do better next time, even if next time is a million years in the future.

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

yeah but was he gay tho

Probably.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

DisDisDis posted:

Yumi Tada for a devilman artbook

You know what they say about men with no feet...

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
Every time I leave this thread and come back it's another 2 pages of "I think they're just friends." Also it's hilarious to me that pretty much every argument I've seen about it has been some permutation of "it's ambiguous whether it's romantic or platonic love ergo it's unambiguously platonic love."

Like I could have seen the Miki/Miko confession as ambiguous if it wasn't the narrative climax of both their arcs but it seems pretty clear to me that a lot of the people arguing that it could go either way then directly conclude that they're just friends

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
The last thing to go through Akira's mind.

• Locked thread