Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ugliest fashion period?
1975-1979
1980-1984
1985-1989
1990-1994
1995-1999
2000-2004
2005-2009
View Results

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
When you need to fill up the tank before hitting up the SA goon meet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Seriously why are there so many votes for the late 70s that period owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfwQ_7xqO7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tG5SllettU

Yes that's the good stu... oh excuse me for a sec, ahh, I need to go powder my nose...

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 7, 2018

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Even though it's considered more of a joke today, Saturday Night Fever is one of those movies that shows how grimy the 70s were.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Why not just buy jeans at this point? What’s wrong with the people that do this?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Why not just buy jeans at this point? What’s wrong with the people that do this?

I assumed he wore really loose clothing because he was fat. but now he's thinned out and he still wears the clown pants. it's inexplicable.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I grew up in the '80s and '90s, so all this does is remind me of puberty boners. Good times.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

uber_stoat posted:

I assumed he wore really loose clothing because he was fat. but now he's thinned out and he still wears the clown pants. it's inexplicable.

he's still fat

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Yeah, I don't know what its about 70s fashion but its just so off-putting. Like, even in depictions of people being ostensibly fashionable like those guys posted earlier, its just not flattering at all. I think its the hair styles as much as anything.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cyril Sneer posted:

Yeah, I don't know what its about 70s fashion but its just so off-putting. Like, even in depictions of people being ostensibly fashionable like those guys posted earlier, its just not flattering at all. I think its the hair styles as much as anything.

For me it was always the puke-inspired color palette. Would you like your suit to be pea-soup green hurl, or toxic orange barf?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Gaunab posted:

Even though it's considered more of a joke today, Saturday Night Fever is one of those movies that shows how grimy the 70s were.

Yeah, not a lot of dance movies these days with a gang-rape scene

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think women in the 70's looked loving sexy as hell

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

General Dog posted:

I think women in the 70's looked loving sexy as hell

the only 70s fashion that didn't suck.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Woden
May 6, 2006

This is some Alice in Wonderland poo poo, everything looks either shrunken or oversized and I can't figure out which is which.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

uber_stoat posted:

the only 70s fashion that didn't suck.

The clothes out of the garbage from the 60s? :shrug:

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Nostalgia for the pre 9/11 world? Imagine the biggest thing people had to worry about was Marilyn Manson.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Yeah, not a lot of dance movies these days with a gang-rape scene

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

The clothes out of the garbage from the 60s? :shrug:

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Bogus Adventure posted:

I grew up in the '80s and '90s, so all this does is remind me of puberty boners. Good times.

Literally my exact response. Tank top + low waisted baggy jeans yowza

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
Late 70s/Early 80s

And probably early/mid 90s if you're talking about what every day people were wearing.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Are these women hot because of the fashion or in spite of it?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

big trivia FAIL posted:

Literally my exact response. Tank top + low waisted baggy jeans yowza

:respek:

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord

mind the walrus posted:

This is true. The 2000s were trying so hard to be laid-back in the wake of 9/11 and the end of post-USSR prosperity that it circled around to being really uptight and joyless where the lack of taste was itself the taste. Even so, late 90s was just... there was this ugly confusion behind it, like sleeping on a super-comfy old couch that smells of sweat and farts. It's this weird cultural dead zone where style got dementia.

this happened to music too, ugh

I am torn between the late 90s/early 2000s for blandness, the 80s/early 90s for garishness.

The 70s don't seem so bad except for certain weird choices (polyester? eugh)

the "dress like your grampa was a lumberjack" trend of the late 2000's/early 10s is definitely a runner up

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
kevin smith is so fat he broke a wall-mounted toilet off the wall when he went to poo poo in it irl

didnt he get kicked off a plane for being too fat too?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Gaunab posted:

Are these women hot because of the fashion or in spite of it?

I don't know, but the hair was on point

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

berth ell pup posted:

kevin smith is so fat he broke a wall-mounted toilet off the wall when he went to poo poo in it irl

didnt he get kicked off a plane for being too fat too?

Yeah that was him. He lost a lot of weight in the past couple of years, he's back down to roughly Clerks 2 size now.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
When did thongs become fashionable?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Bogus Adventure posted:

The 2260s they ain't.

Bonus:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nimoy looks ridiculously youthful there.

And DeForrest Kelly was made for 70s fashion :allears:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Leonard "Bone-Zone" McCoy

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
suits in the 90s (especially the late 90s) were really lovely and formless, and the weird thing i remember people in the 90s making fun of suits from the 70's being too tight

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Gaunab posted:

When did thongs become fashionable?

Around the same time as low-rise jeans. Not a great combination.

I actually saw someone in a velour tracksuit today. It was purple, so she looked a bit like Grimace.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Half the time I see pics like this I keep thinking "Well the 70s fashion don't seem so bad" then I realize its because every one is thin and being overweight isn't the norm yet.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I'm glad we've moved on from speedos.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Those suits were p. stylin'. In both pics.

BexGu posted:

Half the time I see pics like this I keep thinking "Well the 70s fashion don't seem so bad" then I realize its because every one is thin and being overweight isn't the norm yet.

Wow. That's deep, man.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
The 70s was ugly in every single aspect. That's why everything from that time period is colored pea soup green.

It's from everyone throwing up everywhere because the 70s was so ugly!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I liked that for a decade everyone went mad and decided burnt orange, dark brown, sunflower, and pea green had to go on everything.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

the (early) 1960s was the most fashionable decade, so of course the decade that reacted against it would be abhorrent in every respect

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

he is at an acceptable level of american fat. In 2011 he was way way way too fat

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gaunab posted:

I'm glad we've moved on from speedos.

This is not true for much of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
The rest of the world is wrong.

• Locked thread