Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

playdauntless.com posted:

Dauntless is a co-op, action RPG coming to PC, currently in early access. Battle ferocious Behemoths, craft powerful weapons, and forge your legend in the Shattered Isles.

Essentially, Dauntless is kind of like Monster Hunter, but also kind of like Dark Souls-ish, and the graphics are Dishonored-ish. Its very EA atm.

Weapons

Axe
Slash, sunder, and cleave. Time powerful splitting strikes for additional wrecking power. The harder you hit, the more aether builds, rewarding aggressive combat tactics with brutal damage.

Chain Blades
Blades on chains.

Hammer
Equal parts maul and cannon, the hammer pulverizes bones and broadsides behemoths at short range. Harness the momentum of its concussive blast and ride the shockwave headlong into combat. Its got a gun thing in it.

Sword
Unrelenting, deadly, and precise. Every strike aether-charges the blade, allowing you to string together punishing combos and unleash devastating blasts of elemental damage.

War Pike
The War Pike is a precise weapon that rewards a surgical approach and tactical mastery. The War Pike’s primary attack is the forward thrust. This attack can be repeated several times to deliver precise damage with the War Pike’s razor-sharp tip. You can press left or right during thrusting attacks to strafe sideways, moving in tandem with your quarry without letting up on the pressure. For Slayers that can anticipate a Behemoth’s attack pattern, this means an unrelenting assault. The War Pike’s second attack deals slashing damage in an area as your Slayer spins it. This is the perfect way to spread damage out across a Behemoth, or to use as a point to pivot from as you push the attack.

Monsters
There's a lot, look here: https://dauntless.gamepedia.com/Behemoths

Play Now
It will be Free to Play later this year, but if you really want to theres Founders Packs available @ https://playdauntless.com/founders-packs. Its worth.

2018 Roadmap: https://trello.com/b/6gfIQvwi/dauntless-roadmap

Goon Clan
Join https://discord.gg/bp6dg7w and type !join-role Monstermen and check the Monstermans category

Taylor Swift fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
There's plenty of beta jank to be had in this one but it's very fun in spite of that. While not a 1:1 MonHun clone, I think it has potential to grow as its own thing and sort of broaden the genre as a whole for PC players. It'll feel familiar to people who have played both MH and Souls games as I find it blends a bit of both in terms of overall feel.

Prude fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 7, 2018

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Genuinely surprised by how fun this game is, especially with friends. Would recommend.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

Genuinely surprised by how fun this game is, especially with friends. Would recommend.

It’s very fun, even when everyone does except me on lava dude last night and I tried to solo him unsuccessfully. :negative:

It’s very janky though, be warned

Vakal
May 11, 2008
This looks like a game to Monster Hunter what Torchlight was to Diablo.

What do the founder packs go for?

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
looks cool but the ftp kinda worries me

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

looks cool but the ftp kinda worries me

It’s mainly loot boxes I think. I doubt it’s going to turn into some p2w mess.

That being said anything can happen between now and launch.

DrCoathanger
Feb 20, 2013

Babies? No problem.
The devs have said a bunch of things on how they're not going to make loot boxes EA level bullshit and so far they've stuck to it.

Still it's fun, jank but really really fun with friends and will scratch that monsert hunter itch.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.pcgamesn.com/dauntless/dauntless-loot-boxes

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So I jumped back into this after reading they reset characters and made a new progression system. I now see the game has level ups and upgrading is based on using tokens earned by leveling up instead of using monster pieces...

So uhh, that kinda ruins half of what makes a mohon game a mohon game. It's now less about "hunting" and more about "just finish quests and play whatever." Before I dump another 10 hours into this, how does this new system feel when you get deeper into it?

Also, shall we make a goon clan?

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DaveKap posted:

So I jumped back into this after reading they reset characters and made a new progression system. I now see the game has level ups and upgrading is based on using tokens earned by leveling up instead of using monster pieces...

So uhh, that kinda ruins half of what makes a mohon game a mohon game. It's now less about "hunting" and more about "just finish quests and play whatever." Before I dump another 10 hours into this, how does this new system feel when you get deeper into it?

Also, shall we make a goon clan?

We got one, check the OP

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
Honestly, this is the kind of game I play to enjoy the feel of the gameplay itself - whatever they do with the upgrade system short of totally P2Wing it up doesn't make a huge difference to me.

Prude fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 10, 2018

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Something's up with that Discord invite. Unlike every other invite I've ever received, that one doesn't seem to connect to the 1 Discord tab I have and instead tries to start me up in a separate tab. Anyone know wtf is up with that?
Welp, my Discord poo poo's all hosed. Never mind!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 16, 2018

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

That $40 Founder's pack really doesn't seem like it has much value to it doesn't make me feel great about the future of microtranactions here.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

socialsecurity posted:

That $40 Founder's pack really doesn't seem like it has much value to it doesn't make me feel great about the future of microtranactions here.

Theyve pretty heavily said there wont be any lootbox fuckery.

also rip if yall didnt do the event, cuz its over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/iOllekOW/status/958418926911852544

• Locked thread