Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreshCutFries

hey byob, i know i haven't been around but i quit smoking this week and i need somewhere to dump cravings out of me in the form of internet posts. thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshCutFries

i had a dream last night that i was smoking, and the rush wasn't strong enough, so i just straight up ate the cig. didn't put it out or anything. holy poo poo did it feel good.

FreshCutFries

quitting smoking is almost like losing a loved one. you're doing perfectly fine, and then you encounter situations that they would enjoy or would otherwise make you think of them and BAM you just feel empty inside, like a huge chunk of your being is suddenly ripped out of you. the feeling diminishes in severity and frequency given time, but it never really goes away. that hole is never completely filled again. the main difference here being that you can't go buy a replacement loved one at literally any gas station at any time.

FreshCutFries

hey that worked! craving passed. i don't want this to go away so i guess feel free to post about your addictions your trying to get over, your history with addiction, jokes about addiction, or you know, just talk about me a lot, that's always good too. also please like and subscribe, donate to my patreon, and snipe cigarettes from my greedy fingers from 500m away.

Robot Made of Meat

Quitting smoking is amazingly difficult, but it's very worth it.

I can't offer you any suggestions beyond toughing it out and keeping your eye on the future, but I really hope you keep on with the quitting.

I quit 30 years ago, and I hardly ever have cravings any more!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
My mother started smoking when she was 16. I was addicted to second-hand smoke but didn't realize it until I went to basic training, where I started to have nicotine withdrawl but didn't know what I was dealing with. My choices were to stand in formation, or fall out and smoke. It was an easy transition, and before I knew it I was a regular 2 pack a day smoker. That was in 1984.

I went through a bunch of different smoking cessation programs through the years, starting around 1988, after I got married and with my wife in mind.

I tried nicotine patches, gum, weaning tricks, switching to chewing tobacco and snuff, and eventually, in 2007 after a really bad bronchitis attack, I tried Chantix in May. On August 2nd at 7pm I lit my first cigarette of the day, and realized that since I went this long I may as well quit for good.

That was my last cigarette ever.

I get cravings now and then but they are mere whispers that have no teeth to bite me. I hate cigarette smoke and have to get away from it, but I am also mindful of the fact that I too once was addicted, so I try hard to not be "one of those" ex smokers, I don't preach or passive-aggresively let people know I don't like the smoke, but I also won't sit there in the middle of it and will excuse myself and leave.

You can do it, set it aside and view it for what it is- a means of Big Tobacco to get rich at the expense of your vitality and health because you got caught in their net of addiction. Don't let them win.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

FreshCutFries

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Quitting smoking is amazingly difficult, but it's very worth it.

I can't offer you any suggestions beyond toughing it out and keeping your eye on the future, but I really hope you keep on with the quitting.

I quit 30 years ago, and I hardly ever have cravings any more!

Splatmaster posted:

My mother started smoking when she was 16. I was addicted to second-hand smoke but didn't realize it until I went to basic training, where I started to have nicotine withdrawl but didn't know what I was dealing with. My choices were to stand in formation, or fall out and smoke. It was an easy transition, and before I knew it I was a regular 2 pack a day smoker. That was in 1984.

I went through a bunch of different smoking cessation programs through the years, starting around 1988, after I got married and with my wife in mind.

I tried nicotine patches, gum, weaning tricks, switching to chewing tobacco and snuff, and eventually, in 2007 after a really bad bronchitis attack, I tried Chantix in May. On August 2nd at 7pm I lit my first cigarette of the day, and realized that since I went this long I may as well quit for good.

I get cravings now and then but they are mere whispers that have no teeth to bite me. I hate cigarette smoke and have to get away from it, but I am also mindful of the fact that I too once was addicted, so I try hard to not be "one of those" ex smokers, I don't preach or passive-aggresively let people know I don't like the smoke, but I also won't sit there in the middle of it and will excuse myself and leave.

You can do it, set it aside and view it for what it is- a means of Big Tobacco to get rich at the expense of your vitality and health because you got caught in their net of addiction. Don't let them win.

thanks for the support! this isn't my first time quitting (my record is four years without), so i have an idea of what's coming once i get over the physical addiction. i just need something to get my mind off of cravings and writing is a great way to do that.

Manifisto

Thingyman posted:

thanks for the support! this isn't my first time quitting (my record is four years without), so i have an idea of what's coming once i get over the physical addiction. i just need something to get my mind off of cravings and writing is a great way to do that.

good luck! while I have no advice or anything, I'm rooting for you!

if you are looking for something to write, would you be interested in writing a chapter of the byorabian nights?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=379391

gently caress, the thread is locked for archiving . . . can a mod unlock it? or do we have to do a new thread?

ty nesamdoom!

Duckbox

I'm enjoying a smooth menthol cig right now op.

I'm ashamed of myself and feel lovely all the time and cig taxes are eating me alive. Jealous much? :smug:

Duckbox

When I kill a pack too quickly and get cravings too late to drive to the store, I put old butt tobacco in a pipe I carved out of a bamboo shoot and puff on it until I get queasy. I'm so loving cool you guys, I'm like an Indian shaman only more hip and urban.

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
good luck op :)

u r not alone, many yobbers have posted about quitting smoking in the new year resolution thread and were happy to share advice and give support with it

Barnes And Body Works

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:
i actually have too recently once again, moved onto using an ecig again! congrats bud!

Vanisher made my super slick sig.

cda

by Hand Knit
After 15 years I got burned out on smoking and decided to quit. It was just too much trouble buying the packs, and unwrapping them, and tapping them to make the tobacco denser, and opening the pack, and taking a cigarette out, and putting the pack in my left pocket and putting my other hand in my right pocket, and closing my hand around the lighter in my right pocket using only my tactile sense to guide me, and pulling upward with my right arm muscles to pull my hand out of my pocket, and adjusting the lighter in my hand with my fingers so that the strike wheel was situated near my thumb, and parting my lips slightly in preparation for placing the cigarette between them, and positioning the cigarette between the second and middle fingers of my left hand, and moving my left arm to place the cigarette in my mouth while with my right I placed the lighter in front of and slightly below the cigarette so that when I moved my thumb downward on the strike wheel, bringing it to rest on the lever that unblocked the chamber with the fuel in it, allowing a small amount of butane to escape just as the spark produced by the friction of the wheel on the flint came into being, a flame was created that began to burn the paper wrapping of the cigarette, and then at that moment, inhaling deeply so as to give more oxygen to the flame while simultaneously drawing it towards the cigarette and allowing the flame to catch in the tobacco so that the smoke would enter my lungs.

Too many steps. Now I just breathe.

City of Glompton

i quit smoking and now i'm fully engulfed in flames. pls call the fire dept.

in all seriousness tho, keep up the good work op

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Twenty Four

Splatmaster posted:

A great post! Maybe one day...

FreshCutFries

when i wake up now i always experience this sense of unreality. no, that's not accurate, it's more like i'm in a reality, just not the one that i belong to, so i wake up in this hyper-aware state, looking at everything in my room that appears the same from a superficial glance, but with this overpowering feeling that something, deep down, is different. obviously, that something is nicotine not being in my brain, but it is just bizarre how much the presence or absence of a single substance can alter my entire perception of what is. it's like my subconscious has to rebuild everything i knew about the world and myself just because i no longer smoke.

i'm realizing now that i had the same observation the first (and only) time i did a hallucinogen. going through this again is a nice reminder of how fragile our perception of reality is, how easily it can be completely shifted. it's actually a calming thought when your current reality is wanting to smoke, like, super bad, all the time.

FreshCutFries

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

good luck op :)

u r not alone, many yobbers have posted about quitting smoking in the new year resolution thread and were happy to share advice and give support with it

oh...i did not see that thread lol.

FreshCutFries

also this owns:

cda posted:

After 15 years I got burned out on smoking and decided to quit. It was just too much trouble buying the packs, and unwrapping them, and tapping them to make the tobacco denser, and opening the pack, and taking a cigarette out, and putting the pack in my left pocket and putting my other hand in my right pocket, and closing my hand around the lighter in my right pocket using only my tactile sense to guide me, and pulling upward with my right arm muscles to pull my hand out of my pocket, and adjusting the lighter in my hand with my fingers so that the strike wheel was situated near my thumb, and parting my lips slightly in preparation for placing the cigarette between them, and positioning the cigarette between the second and middle fingers of my left hand, and moving my left arm to place the cigarette in my mouth while with my right I placed the lighter in front of and slightly below the cigarette so that when I moved my thumb downward on the strike wheel, bringing it to rest on the lever that unblocked the chamber with the fuel in it, allowing a small amount of butane to escape just as the spark produced by the friction of the wheel on the flint came into being, a flame was created that began to burn the paper wrapping of the cigarette, and then at that moment, inhaling deeply so as to give more oxygen to the flame while simultaneously drawing it towards the cigarette and allowing the flame to catch in the tobacco so that the smoke would enter my lungs.

Too many steps. Now I just breathe.

Kthulhu5000

by R. Guyovich
Keep it up, fight hard to stay quit, and remind yourself that every day you go without smoking is another day that your body can clean up the damage accrued from prior smoking and add more time to your life expectancy.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Robot Made of Meat

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Keep it up, fight hard to stay quit, and remind yourself that every day you go without smoking is another day that your body can clean up the damage accrued from prior smoking and add more time to your life expectancy.

And don't forget the money angle. Every bit of positivity helps!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

DragQueenofAngmar

You shall not pass!
me too op. i quit about 4 weeks ago or so, mostly because i was broke tbh. but also always when i was smoking regularly there would be periods where i would be disliking more cigarettes than i enjoyed and that was happening so i just thought id go for it. im gonna do my best to stick with it at minimum not buying any myself, if i end up having one at a bar sometimes i can live with that i guess. good luck my friend :)

Duckbox

A fun fact I learned the other day is 16th century wheellock firearms worked almost exactly the same way as cigarette lighters but with priming powder in a pan instead of butane. Also they had a little lever so you didn't have to get those gnarly callouses from scuffing your thumb on the wheel like a peasant.

CAN NOT PUKE

by FactsAreUseless

Duckbox posted:

A fun fact I learned the other day is 16th century wheellock firearms worked almost exactly the same way as cigarette lighters but with priming powder in a pan instead of butane. Also they had a little lever so you didn't have to get those gnarly callouses from scuffing your thumb on the wheel like a peasant.

Yikes

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Duckbox

Yeah having a little wad of gun powder explode practically in your face every time you shoot someone is pretty hard core and a lot of veterans came home with a face full of angry little burn scars. It's also where the expression "flash in the pan" comes from.

Scroon

I gave up candy cigarettes but no one at home seemed particularly impressed

Jedrick

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
traitor

FreshCutFries

this is the end of day 6 and i still think i'm getting physical withdrawals. i've read online that most of the effects should be gone after day 3, with some effects lasting up to a month, but holy hell, i straight up feel like i'm coming down with the flu. like you know that feeling when you have the flu and it's just starting to present itself, and you have these few horrible minutes of realization that you have the flu and are about to throw up, but you just have to stew in that until it actually happens. imagine if you felt like that for two straight days without anything happening, and that's how i've felt lately.

i've called into work for today and tomorrow just in case i have the worst timing ever and got the flu on the same week i quit smoking :(

Barnes And Body Works

Thingyman posted:

this is the end of day 6 and i still think i'm getting physical withdrawals. i've read online that most of the effects should be gone after day 3, with some effects lasting up to a month, but holy hell, i straight up feel like i'm coming down with the flu. like you know that feeling when you have the flu and it's just starting to present itself, and you have these few horrible minutes of realization that you have the flu and are about to throw up, but you just have to stew in that until it actually happens. imagine if you felt like that for two straight days without anything happening, and that's how i've felt lately.

i've called into work for today and tomorrow just in case i have the worst timing ever and got the flu on the same week i quit smoking :(

o yeah, nicotine withdrawal fuckin sucks.

Peanut Butler

one day I hope to go as many days as you without nicotine

today is not that day!

but someday~~

Scroon

"quitting" makes it sound like you lost or something when really you're achieving a victory. A lung victory (2nd best kind after kidney victories!).

How about "I defeated smoking" or "I conquered smoking"?

Barnes And Body Works

Peanut Butler posted:

today is not that day!

but someday~~

same goddang, i still use my ecig so i dont withdraw gahahaha

deep dish peat moss

If you are struggling with quitting ask your doctor about trying Welbutrin. I've quit successfully with it a few times (I'm a pack a day smoker and I've gone 2+ months without smoking on it 3 times) and it makes it incredibly easy (no cravings, no withdrawals). The downside is it's an anti-depressant and it can gently caress with ya brain chemistry and make you depressed while you're on it which is why I've never completed the 3month regimen :( But that doesn't happen to everyone.

All 3 times I quit I found myself stranded in a really stressful situation and gave in

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 9, 2018

deep dish peat moss

I tried a vape but what I found was it made it so convenient and easy to ingest nicotine that I was doing it far more often than normal and when I wised up and quit it I was smoking almost twice as much as I used to.

FreshCutFries

Peanut Butler posted:

today is not that day!

but someday~~

Barnes And Body Works posted:

same goddang, i still use my ecig so i dont withdraw gahahaha

if you two don't quit somking today i will be forced to actually get good at posting, be offered the ik position, think about it for a bit, turn it down, freak out that i turned down the opportunity and pm back apologizing and accepting, and then probate you two until you do!!!

FreshCutFries

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you are struggling with quitting ask your doctor about trying Welbutrin. I've quit successfully with it a few times (I'm a pack a day smoker and I've gone 2+ months without smoking on it 3 times) and it makes it incredibly easy (no cravings, no withdrawals). The downside is it's an anti-depressant and it can gently caress with ya brain chemistry and make you depressed while you're on it which is why I've never completed the 3month regimen :( But that doesn't happen to everyone.

All 3 times I quit I found myself stranded in a really stressful situation and gave in

deep dish peat moss posted:

I tried a vape but what I found was it made it so convenient and easy to ingest nicotine that I was doing it far more often than normal and when I wised up and quit it I was smoking almost twice as much as I used to.

yeah, i switched to vaping and ended up going up to about 2.5 - 3 packs a day worth of nicotine. vaping is the worst idea to try to quit lol. also, i can't recommend SSRIs enough for helping to quit because 1. nicotine is an anti-depressant so it's a good replacement (that's crazy you didn't get physical withdrawals from it though) and 2. it might not be true for everyone, but if you're super addicted to smoking there's a good chance your trying to self-medicate some issues that anti-depressants would work great for anyways.

Duckbox

What if I smoke and take ssris already, huh thread? Didn't think of that did you?

FreshCutFries

Duckbox posted:

What if I smoke and take ssris already, huh thread? Didn't think of that did you?

then you have no excuse to keep doing it :twisted:

Senior Management

Glad to see that you are doing this as it is good for your health and wallet to quit. The only problem is that you are no longer cool. I hate to brake it to you but thems the brakes. I do have some recommendations to compensate though. If you want to seem super cool again make sure you always have a colourful fanny pack full of emergency supplies so that you can swoop in and save the day from minor emergencies. Always keep a thermos full of hot chicken noodle soup clipped to your belt. You never know when you might get hungry or come down with a cold.

Now I really should not be revealing this but I like you kid. There are two new hit looks this year. Look A, the Stone Cold Stunner: Shorts that are just a bit too short, suspenders, plain shirt with a bow tie, a fez, and tall 3/4 up your legs athletic socks with either crocs or sandals. And look B: The Bad Boy Executive: Mullet with red bandanna around forehead. Sport jacket with the sleeves ripped off. No buttons, leave if open. If you thought just buttoning them all was for old people think again. And whatever you do you cannot forget the slick finger-less gloves. Your shirt should have some sort of band logo or graphic of anytype on it. You have room to express yourself and freestyle here. Go wild. About 9% of the population can pull off Hawaiian. Could be you. Pants are open to debate amongst scholars but the current leading candidate down in the trenches of the fashion labs are hot pink dress pants and jeans with a bit of tasteful engine grease on them. Get a big and flashy belt buckle too. And finally, the key that ties this whole thing together, I cannot stress enough how critical this is, are the nicest finest dress shoes you can find. The cool effect scales exponentially here with no sign of a drop off.

Suddenly you are like the Fonz on steroids if steroids made you cooler. You will be beating off hip young acquaintances with a stick. Play your cards right and you can be a rich celeb famous for being famous. But that life is a tiring grind of faking drama and buying an ever-changing roster of pants. You either die a hero or live long enough to get consumed by a sentient pants homunculus. Hope this helps. Always stay cool.

:jerry:

FreshCutFries

Senior Management posted:

live long enough to get consumed by a sentient pants homunculus

life goals...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshCutFries

also lol

• Locked thread