Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my other unpopular video game opinion is that there has literally never been a good video game by western developers

except legacy of goku 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Glare Seethe posted:

Brutal Legend's stage battles gameplay is legitimately good, fun and deeper than is generally acknowledged. Its biggest flaw is the obfuscation of the deeper mechanics (in particular each unit's strengths and weaknesses) and lack of feedback ("is what I'm doing actually working?"), yet that simultaneously serves as its biggest strength in causing each battle to feel like utter, random chaos.
Yes. The game doesn't really explain any of that at all. But it's still fun to play and Dark Ophelia is of course the best Ophelia.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mass Effect 2 was a decisively average cookie-cutter game and was the canary in the coal mine for all the problems that were about to become endemic to how Bioware under EA makes its games.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Halo, in every iteration since the original one in 2001, has been lazy watered-down derivative crap poo poo garbage for slobs

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I think games journalism is usually fine and the issues people have with it stems more from a disagreement of the content being discussed rather than the fact that the content is being covered, and larger issues with games journalism as a concept are issues endemic to journalism as a whole.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Regular Nintendo posted:

Halo, in every iteration since the original one in 2001, has been lazy watered-down derivative crap poo poo garbage for slobs

Yes but it was watered down crap with Humvees that drift super hard like they're always driving on ice and instagibbed your enemies

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Zelda 2 is equivocably the best Zelda, just for being willing to buck the norms that were standardized in every other game in the franchise. This, of course, also goes for feminist trailblazer Mario 2, which was the first game to allow you to play as the princess who is usually the victim.

The borderlands franchise got wayyyy funnier and more fun after the first game. Claptrap's a goddamn ray of sunshine in a franchise that repeatedly points out what an amoral psychotic murderer you and your friends are, light up a little.

Open world games have gotten too carried away with this whole sidequest bullshit. Not every rock crevice and tree branch has to be its own individual area with a sidequest attached. I want to feel a sense of completion with my games, not like it's another job. "3 hours to kill? Better go clear out every basement in town- I'm sure each one will have a unique item to steal and monsters to fight!" Give it a rest already.

OG rayman was one hell of a platformer, and the music ruled.

Terranigma deserved a US port, and should get a remake.

Best mecha game is the Dynasty Warriors Gundam series, hands-down.

Triggered, nerds? :smugdog:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Verisimilidude posted:

I think games journalism is usually fine and the issues people have with it stems more from a disagreement of the content being discussed rather than the fact that the content is being covered, and larger issues with games journalism as a concept are issues endemic to journalism as a whole.

Games journalism is fine if you realize most of it is either dictated by access or overly fart-huffing thinkpieces that punch above the medium's weight

I'm not condemning the access part really, I mean what else can they do, you only get the information that's released

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

The N64 was a bad console, unlike the Game Cube which was great.

I agree, to add:

- Ocarina of Time wasn't that good, the combat was okay but the transition to 3D was still regrettable and made the game less fun to play, I wasn't that impressed with the story either.
- Other than Zelda and Mario 64, which gets a pass for having good controls for 3D and still being cute, all other N64 games were bad and ugly.
- Rareware is a terrible developer who invented the collect-a-thon, a style of game that is basically Cookie Clicker with a tedious platformer slapped on top. For the life of me I don't know why people liked Rare.
- Donkey Kong Country wasn't good, platformers should be precise and controlled like Super Mario Bros or Megaman, DKC had hitboxes that were sometimes way too forgiving or sometimes way too precise. Stages were copypaste, bosses were not fun, I especially hated the collect-a-thon bonus stages, you just had to fly around a room with an ostrich to collect golden poo poo. It was bad and it's the only SNES game I owned as a kid that I did not like even at the time. There was also lots of cinematic timewaster poo poo with barrels.
- Black Mesa is a bad remake of Half Life. Even the Ichtyosaur sound is gone! Blasphemy!
- Unreal Tournament 2004 is a lot more fun to play even today than Overwatch is.
- Terranigma is the best game on the SNES, I love Chrono Trigger and FF6 but nah they're not nearly as good. Terranigma has flaws but it's a loving journey and has great controls for a top down action RPG.
- GOLF for NES is great.
- I haven't played The Last of Us but it looks like a corny and annoying game.
- Way, waaaay too many male game characters in leadership roles and with crew cuts are called "Shephard"

Poil posted:

Settlers 2 10th Anniversary Edition was poo poo. Somehow less fun than the original with awful floaty graphics that were worse and with less detail than the original from freaking 1996!

Yeah it was such a disappointment.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 8, 2018

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

planescape: torment is terrible

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

^^^ Yeah that game looks so loving ugly and boring, I have a very high tolerance for ugly games and I don't want to play it.

chumbler posted:

It's probably fine for the RTS genre to die.

What about Supreme Commander?

RTS games became bad because of the Starcraft formula and moving away from long games and turtling.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
mass effect is and always has been a boring game with forgettable characters, lovely combat and terrible writing.

metal gear solid 2 was the best in the series, storywise.

soul calibur 2 and 3 are the best fighting games ever made.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

all other N64 games were bad and ugly.
i honestly like how megaman legends looks, the blocky polygons with drawn on anime faces is kinda charming. thats not an n64 exclusive tho

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tiggum posted:

The same is true of every video game. Video games are an artform that can do things that books and movies can't, but books and movies can do things that video games can't too, and that doesn't make any of them better or worse, just different. If you're trying to defend video games by making direct comparisons to other types of art/media then you've already lost because when you judge a game by the standards of a book it's going to look like poo poo.

The problem is that good novelists tend to be aware of the novel form and use that form to their advantage. Most game designers are not aware at all of form because they are programmers and IT people and add what are basically movie scenes into their games because they are not creative. Half Life did it properly. Games have a limited capacity to tell a story, you can't have the videogame equivalent of a Kafka or Borges novel, it will never be made, but they can provide pleasure in different ways.

I mistrust too much story in games and yeah Bioshock and The Last of Us are poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
silent hill: homecoming is better than silent hill 4

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Regular Nintendo posted:

This reminded me that The Library is an awesome level and playing through it on Heroic was crazy intense and harrowing and the highlight of my Halo campaign. I should add the disclaimer that this opinion is 12 years old, however, and has not been tested since.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Counterpoint: The Halo 1 campaign is absolute garbage and if the XBox hadn't been starved for decent games, Halo would be a forgotten joke, Bungie wouldn't exist, and the disease that is FPSes on consoles would have died in the crib.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

PUBG is one of the most boring things i have played in recent years. A genuinely unfun game.

It's going to end up like DayZ as well. The devs will support it until it starts to die off and then it'll be abandoned.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Shibawanko posted:

I agree, to add:

- Rareware is a terrible developer who invented the collect-a-thon, a style of game that is basically Cookie Clicker with a tedious platformer slapped on top. For the life of me I don't know why people liked Rare.
- Donkey Kong Country wasn't good, platformers should be precise and controlled like Super Mario Bros or Megaman, DKC had hitboxes that were sometimes way too forgiving or sometimes way too precise. Stages were copypaste, bosses were not fun, I especially hated the collect-a-thon bonus stages, you just had to fly around a room with an ostrich to collect golden poo poo. It was bad and it's the only SNES game I owned as a kid that I did not like even at the time. There was also lots of cinematic timewaster poo poo with barrels.

- Terranigma is the best game on the SNES, I love Chrono Trigger and FF6 but nah they're not nearly as good. Terranigma has flaws but it's a loving journey and has great controls for a top down action RPG.
- GOLF for NES is great.
- Way, waaaay too many male game characters in leadership roles and with crew cuts are called "Shephard"

Yeah it was such a disappointment.

Agreedo! Also the one that said Soulcalibur 2 and 3 were the best fighting games ever. Solid controls, good character design, and the mandatory absurd premise.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

1stGear posted:

Counterpoint: The Halo 1 campaign is absolute garbage and if the XBox hadn't been starved for decent games, Halo would be a forgotten joke, Bungie wouldn't exist, and the disease that is FPSes on consoles would have died in the crib.

I have no real opinion on console shooters since I never owned a non-handheld one, which probably makes my opinion on The Library even worse since I played it on PC. However, in the interest of defending said opinion I will say my positive memories of Halo are pretty much centered on that one specific level rather than the campaign as a whole, which I enjoyed but was overall middling.

I can't hate on Bungie though just because I grew up with a Mac and they made the absolutely amazing Marathon series.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Maybe consider replaying the original Halo, because good good, man. The Library?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nobuo Uematsu isn't the best composer Squaresoft/Square-Enix have had on their books.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

Maybe consider replaying the original Halo, because good good, man. The Library?

Maybe I will, eventually. I admit I do have a natural affection for monotony and repetition, as long as it's not boring. The Library was repetitive, but on the higher difficulties it was never boring, just long and intense. By the time you come out the other side you're knackered. I enjoyed it. :)

But yeah, 12 years have gone. Who knows.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sorry, I have a lot of these.

- Simcity 4 looks better than Cities: Skylines and is more fun to play.
- The original Five Nights at Freddy's was actually good and used a simple concept effectively.
- Half Life 2 was dull, had bad vehicle sections, unthreatening enemies, the weapons felt like peashooters and the gravity gun wore out its welcome really quickly even though it was technically impressive. I also thought the introduction of the combine out of nowhere and the change of setting was random and jarring. Ravenholm bores me to death.
- Virtual reality is made fun of but it's actually incredible. I was amazed at how good it looks and feels and some of the games I tried seemed incredibly fun and used the concept of VR in creative ways. In fact, 3D effects in games are often whined about but I loved the 3D on the 3DS and don't understand why people would turn it off. The Virtual Boy was unfairly maligned because it was different more than because it was a bad idea, except for the awkward mounting. Wario Land and Teleroboxer are really good games.
- Outpost for PC was a fun idea, just unfinished, it was still fun to play as far as it worked and I wish somebody would pick up the code and properly finish the game.
- Twinbee is the best shoot em up series.
- Super Mario Land (1) is one of the best Mario games: perfect length, perfect level design, lots of variety and originality, good controls once you get used to them and best of all, the super ball powerup. It also has that cool Gunpei Yokoi offbrand Mario style that I prefer over Miyamoto style.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 8, 2018

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

Sorry, I have a lot of these.

- Simcity 4 looks better than Cities: Skylines

Opinions says the title, boyo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

- Half Life 2 was dull, had bad vehicle sections, unthreatening enemies, the weapons felt like peashooters and the gravity gun wore out its welcome really quickly even though it was technically impressive. I also thought the introduction of the combine out of nowhere and the change of setting was random and jarring. Ravenholm bores me to death.

It's essentially a tech demo to sell Valve's new game engine with nice physics simulation and little more than that (It worked).

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Good soup! posted:

planescape: torment is terrible

This may be an unpopular opinion.
But it's one I agree with.
The world and the narrative was great.
But I can't imagine why 'let's take the infinity engine and boil it down to grey mush' constitutes a good gameplay decision.
Just holy poo poo that game was a chore and a half and now that I've finally gotten to the end I can see why it took me 3 tries to get there.

Also:
I can't even watch other people play Overwatch, much less play it myself.
It makes me nauseous.
I'm not sure if this is an opinion or not.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 8, 2018

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

You know all those handheld Castlevanias? I think I like Harmony of Dissonance the best.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Das Butterbrot posted:

metal gear solid 2 was the best in the series

try again pal

Borderlands 2 is boring drawn out garbage with really dumb humor that didn’t age well and annoying characters. Claptrap is an annoying mascot that was supposed to be funny

Borderlands Pre Sequel is incredibly good and the scenery change with every Moonman being Australian was cool. There’s actually a game behind the upgrade-gun-skinnerbox. Characters and classes were way more memorable too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I dunno if that first one is going to register as unpopular in many places outside of the Gearbox forums and maybe the Borderlands subreddit.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Ninja gaiden black and ninja gaiden 2 are the pinnacle of the character action genre.

Metal gear rising is ninja gaiden for babies (still good tho)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Givin posted:

Alpha Protocol is terrible.

*checks sales figures and critical reception of Alpha Protocol* prettttty unpopular opinion here

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This seems like a terribly nonconstructive idea for a thread

Game is good no it's not megathread [56k your favorite game sucks lol]

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Shadow of War had the best implementation of loot boxes until the sequel has hats for orcs. Few games ever give you a way to spend your millions and you can cycle through hundreds of orcs instead of branding them one at a time.

Metal Gear Solid V would have been better if Kojima didn't spend so much time on Quiet and plastering his name on everything, for the ending to not even be half finished.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd have preferred for MGSV to have been less of a game and more of Kojima's nonsense grand tour.

There are loads of polished open world games, I didn't need another. I needed a dumb MGS experience.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Glare Seethe posted:

This reminded me that The Library is an awesome level and playing through it on Heroic was crazy intense and harrowing and the highlight of my Halo campaign. I should add the disclaimer that this opinion is 12 years old, however, and has not been tested since.

the library is the first instance of ctrl-v being a major pillar of level design!

also 3d fighters are universally bad

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Glare Seethe posted:

I have no real opinion on console shooters since I never owned a non-handheld one, which probably makes my opinion on The Library even worse since I played it on PC. However, in the interest of defending said opinion I will say my positive memories of Halo are pretty much centered on that one specific level rather than the campaign as a whole, which I enjoyed but was overall middling.

I can't hate on Bungie though just because I grew up with a Mac and they made the absolutely amazing Marathon series.

marathon is unremarkable crap too and, like halo, its praises are primarily sung by people who didn't/couldn't find the many, many better games available at the time (this is one of my unpopular opinions)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's essentially a tech demo to sell Valve's new game engine with nice physics simulation and little more than that (It worked).

I would rather have played the actual Source tech demo that they released before the game came out.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Unpopular opinion: The Xbox One has, in fact, the wrong kind of RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

*Said about every game that people other than me enjoy* Cowabunga... Cow-a-loving PIECE OF DOGSHIT! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick! This game is as appealing as a loving ooze-infested dirty loving sewer rat poo poo! I've had more fun playing with dog turds! Shredder's my rear end and Splinter's my balls, this game is an inside-out rear end in a top hat regurgitated putrid anal fecal matter! I'd rather loving yank all the hairs out of my scrotum! I'd rather drink diarrhea vomited out of a buffalo's anus! It sucking fucks, it loving sucks, IT loving BLOWS, IT'S A PIECE OF poo poo... and I don't like it.

• Locked thread