Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

I would rather have played the actual Source tech demo that they released before the game came out.

The Dark Messiah of Might and Magic demo had a map (could have been a mod, unsure, it was a long while ago) where you could gently caress around with physics, spawn enemies, and kick enemies into spiky traps, holes, all sorts of things, play with ice magic and basically, it was a way better way to play with the Source engine than anything I've ever played, including the full Dark Messiah game (which is still pretty drat good) and Garry's Mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

unpopular opinion: jet fuel cant melt steel beams

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
FF8 is the best traditional (IE not an mmo) FF game.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
2001-era SA game reviews making a comeback

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Regular Nintendo posted:

2001-era SA game reviews making a comeback

Don't sign your posts.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Resident Evil 7 was a mediocre game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

that thing you like

actually was bad

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Really Pants posted:

that thing you like

actually was bad

Motherfucking This

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I love reading these though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I want less progression in online games. A lot less.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Really Pants posted:

that thing you like

actually was bad

:sbahj:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Invisible War may be the best Deus Ex game. I haven't played Mankind Divided, and on different days I could probably put Human Revolution in top spot, but I've played Invisible War several times and will continue to replay it in the future - I'm playing it now, actually, nearly finished. It's a long way from perfect but it's really fun.

And the original Deus Ex is the worst by far. If you think Invisible War is flawed... the first Deus Ex is more flaw than game.

I genuinely don't see how you can say that with things like crashing and restarting between every area.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Sega Genesis version of Shadowrun was the better of the two

Uniracers is the best game in the entire SNES library. It also has the best music, even edging out Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

Odin Sphere is not very good at all

DDLC was good until it was revealed what Monika's role in the proceedings was, and garbage thereafter. Creepypasta "what if the game KNEW it was a game" nonsense should have loving stopped with Undertale (i'll give Pony Island a pass on this because it had good music)

Speaking of which, Undertale was Good and still holds up quite well

Fandoms are okay as long as they're not hurting anyone

VR as we know it today (PSVR, Rift, Vive, GearVR, etc) has a future and will continue to be a thing for the next decade (or until the next technological leap leading us straight to the Holodeck)

The entire Dragon Age series completely sucks

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

The entire Dragon Age series completely sucks

Bioware only makes awful generic poo poo with no soul.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Pablo Gigante posted:

This seems like a terribly nonconstructive idea for a thread

Game is good no it's not megathread [56k your favorite game sucks lol]

Maybe, but people love to talk about their opinions on games and it's fun to read! I expected way more arguing though.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Give it time.

It might happen if I toss out my opinion that Witcher 3 is overrated

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I find most goon opinions on games are as follows: game that was well received and well loved is now actually garbage, where game that was ill received and generally disliked is now considered good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally i think the best strategy is to have opinions that no sane person would ever have, like my opinion that the only good mario game is yoshi's story

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Shibawanko posted:

Bioware only makes awful generic poo poo with no soul.

The last good thing bioware made was Jade Empire

Also fallout 3 is a terrible game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Grapplejack posted:

Maybe, but people love to talk about their opinions on games and it's fun to read! I expected way more arguing though.

man nurse posted:

I find most goon opinions on games are as follows: game that was well received and well loved is now actually garbage, where game that was ill received and generally disliked is now considered good.

The problem is that “unpopular opinions” almost always translate to “X game that people like is actually bad and you’re a bad person for liking it” and it just contributes to the Gamesian trend of complaining about anything and everything

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Which, if allowed to continue unabated, cause things like an entire subforum dedicated to complaining about one game and doxxing developers’ families, or streaming the install of a game just so everyone can watch and talk about how much the console loving Sucks

THS
Sep 15, 2017

why aren't there any good star wars games

i mean there are some older ones and kotor and poo poo but you know what i mean

the movies are basically video games

how hard can it be to make a good star wars strategy game, or a star wars xcom, or a new star wars big budget rpg. that poo poo would sell

just gonna reinstall that gay age of empires 2 engine game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yandat posted:

why aren't there any good star wars games

i mean there are some older ones and kotor and poo poo but you know what i mean

the movies are basically video games

how hard can it be to make a good star wars strategy game, or a star wars xcom, or a new star wars big budget rpg. that poo poo would sell

just gonna reinstall that gay age of empires 2 engine game
ea doesnt think video games make money unless that have 7000 lootboxes and drain your cum to sell it to scientists at 2 cents a sperm

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

And to think all this time I was draining my cum for free.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

if someone made a slick star wars rogue one style xcom game where you build a secret rebel base and deploy on a galactic map youd sell 500,000,000 copies

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ted Faro did nothing wr--no you know what i can't even finish that sentence jocularly

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Yandat posted:

if someone made a slick star wars rogue one style xcom game where you build a secret rebel base and deploy on a galactic map youd sell 500,000,000 copies

Oh man, "Star Wars: Rebel Cell" would be such a sick premise.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The best strategy is to like things instead of hating things.
If you must hate things then...well we're all human but try liking things.

Like Fire Emblem's social link vignettes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Endorph posted:

ea doesnt think video games make money unless that have 7000 lootboxes and drain your cum to sell it to scientists at 2 cents a sperm
VR is still not there yet.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

ChrisBTY posted:

The best strategy is to like things instead of hating things.
If you must hate things then...well we're all human but try liking things.

Like Fire Emblem's social link vignettes.

The actual best strategy is to approach everything with an air of clinical detachment and interest rather than excitement, or else you risk getting sucked in to the hyper capitalist fandom meme machine

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Chomp8645 posted:

Oh man, "Star Wars: Rebel Cell" would be such a sick premise.

oh itd be the loving bomb and so it'll never get made

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I like Invisible War. It's just as good as og Deus Ex for me.

This is partially because I think Invisible War is better then people give it credit for, and partially because I think Deus Ex is not as good as people hype it up to be.

Super86
Apr 20, 2016
Unpopular opinion: Star Citizen is delivering on its promises. Development is advancing fast and it will be one of the most influential titles in the history of videogames.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

SOMEONE ELSE KNOWS

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rookersh posted:

I like Invisible War. It's just as good as og Deus Ex for me.

This is partially because I think Invisible War is better then people give it credit for, and partially because I think Deus Ex is not as good as people hype it up to be.

i tried starting it for the first time last year and couldn't really get into it

the game felt like 2005 personified and it was really tough to get thru the walls of text for instructions*

it didn't feel objectively bad or lovely or anything, just a relic unstuck in time

*I say walls of text after my brain has been turned into ranch dressing thanks to the last generation and a half of games giving me prompts on what to press at all times

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm one of those people who have tried getting into OG Deus Ex but it is just too archaic and clunky and unfun. Give me the Jensen games any day, now those are some fine titles.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Super86 posted:

Unpopular opinion: Star Citizen is delivering on its promises. Development is advancing fast and it will be one of the most influential titles in the history of videogames.

I'm not sure if I can agree with it but I'm sure rooting for it.
It's better to have a good thing in the world than a bad thing.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i can't play any 3d game pre 2004 or so

half-life 2 was the first 3d game that didnt look like pure dogshit

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm not sure if I can agree with it but I'm sure rooting for it.
It's better to have a good thing in the world than a bad thing.

I truly believe it. I really want them to succeed because it would be great for the gaming industry as a whole. But if you follow the videos they post on YouTube about development, you'll see progress is real.
My only concern is final game performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I'm not sure how many of these opinions are actually that unpopular.

There's a couple that intrigue me though.

Super86 posted:

I'm kind of with the other person, I'm not convinced the evidence is in favor of this, but I'm rooting for you.

Endorph posted:

personally i think the best strategy is to have opinions that no sane person would ever have, like my opinion that the only good mario game is yoshi's story

Would you believe you're not the first person I've heard say that?

Ciaphas posted:

DDLC was good until it was revealed what Monika's role in the proceedings was, and garbage thereafter. Creepypasta "what if the game KNEW it was a game" nonsense should have loving stopped with Undertale (i'll give Pony Island a pass on this because it had good music)

Okay, this one I'm curious about; I've watched a playthrough of the game, and does it genuinely pass muster as a visual novel? I have almost no experience with the genre at all, and it was exceedingly bland and difficult to sit through for me until it started doing weird poo poo (after which point, yeah, it was probably trying too hard). I just...can't see the appeal at all.

• Locked thread