Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/950406865678151680

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

an actual dog posted:

Oprah getting elected will do wonders for the bottom line of bretbart and fox news

ya its all a new machine now

she wouldn't be as bad as trump, but what can she really do. It's about networking, she has to administrate and get the right people in at the right time to enact some real policy making or we're just looking at a rotating line of celebrities and their social influence from a viral direct democracy lining up for this job

wow that was the weirdest sentence ive typed out post escalator it can only go uphill from here :shepface:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
hey, hey guys

check out this one:

noprah

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

arooooo (wolf howl)

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

anime was right posted:

welcome to the fall of rome 2.0

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can’t wait to make oprah for president loyalists on the internet cry by confronting them on her “turn the poor people into edible glue” policies

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
I have Hoperah

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can’t wait for the moral outrage brigrade to declare not proudly and loudly supporting oprah for president means you’re a racist and sexist white dudebro

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Gotta remember to file this one away when I get home from work, feels like I'm gonna be busting this line out a lot in the next few years/forever.

C-Euro has issued a correction as of 19:39 on Jan 8, 2018

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
after bieng elected poep....poperah brouht in a era of piece,.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Taintrunner posted:

I can’t wait for the moral outrage brigrade to declare not proudly and loudly supporting oprah for president means you’re a racist and sexist white dudebro

can't wait for my favoured candidate to be defeated by a daytime talk show host, which is why i'm complaining about it over a year before it could possibly happen

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/950404696543563778
https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/950423540251222017

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
oprah would probably win the primaries too for the same reason that bernie lost: southern sweep with bigly margins

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

people are being dumb on the internet, haha literally can't believe it. i am a serious intellectual btw

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

logikv9 posted:

oprah would probably win the primaries too for the same reason that bernie lost: southern sweep with bigly margins

i imagine it will be a little more split this time; might not be enough for bernie to win tho. really depends on the field.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
oprah will give every American a box of bees

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Ellen Would Have Won

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

itll make trump really mad and lets face it thats all that matters

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
GOPrah :tinfoil:

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

oprah is completely insane because she probably looks at her life and thinks the american system works lets see here

quote:

A stream of self-help gurus have spent time on Oprah’s stage over the past decade and a half, all with the same message. You have choices in life. External conditions don’t determine your life. You do. It ’s all inside you, in your head, in your wishes and desires. Thoughts are destiny, so thinking positive thoughts will enable positive things to happen.

When bad things happen to us, it’s because we’re drawing them toward us with unhealthy thinking and behaviors. “Don’t complain about what you don’t have. Use what you’ve got. To do less than your best is a sin. Every single one of us has the power for greatness because greatness is determined by service—to yourself and others.” If we listen to that quiet “whisper” and fine-tune our “internal, moral, emotional GPS”, we too can learn the secret of success.

Janice Peck, in her work as professor of journalism and communication studies, has studied Oprah for years. She argues that to understand the Oprah phenomenon we must return to the ideas swirling around in the Gilded Age. Peck sees strong parallels in the mind-cure movement of the Gilded Age and Oprah’s evolving enterprise in the New Gilded Age, the era of neoliberalism. She argues that Oprah’s enterprise reinforces the neoliberal focus on the self: Oprah’s “enterprise [is] an ensemble of ideological practices that help legitimize a world of growing inequality and shrinking possibilities by promoting and embodying a configuration of self compatible with that world.”

Nothing captures this ensemble of ideological practices better than O Magazine, whose aim is to “help women see every experience and challenge as an opportunity to grow and discover their best self. To convince women that the real goal is becoming more of who they really are. To embrace their life.” O Magazine implicitly, and sometimes explicitly, identifies a range of problems in neoliberal capitalism and suggests ways for readers to adapt themselves to mitigate or overcome these problems.

Does your 60 hour-a-week desk job make your back hurt and leave you emotionally exhausted and stressed? Of course it does. Studies show that “death by office job” is real: people who sit at a desk all day are more likely to be obese, depressed, or just dead for no discernible reason. But you can dull these effects and improve your wellness with these O-approved strategies: Become more of an “out-of-the-box thinker” because creative people are healthier. Bring photos, posters, and “kitschy figurines” to decorate your workspace: “You’ll feel less emotionally exhausted and reduce burnout.” Write down three positive things that happened during your workday every night before leaving the office to “reduce stress and physical pain from work”.

lmao we're hosed

because she's black she will go out of her way to do nothing for the black community just like obama as to not upset the boomer bigots

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

ignore the boot crashing through your face until the end of time think ~~~~positive~~~~

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
100% what will happen is she will promote a paid for speech and book at some point about how she bent the presidency to make the good things happen out of sheer will and the force of positive thinking and nothing else whatsoever, its a underdog tale people will love and can relate to, wishing they too could harness the mythos of such incredible momentum of a singular person who can do anything and everything

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
oprah will run on "i will actually drain the swamp and restore dignity to the white house as a washington outsider"

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
cabinet nominations are chosen via interview on her show

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

social safety net replaced with training on how to wish really hard

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

housing and urban development and genies

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That article is good, and what it says certainly isn't unique to just Oprah - those sort of "change yourself, not society" messages are prevalent throughout our media/society.

edit: Speaking of Oprah, in 5th grade I was in a spelling bee and was asked to spell the world "Opera" and spelled it "Oprah" because I was a dumb kid (I actually did pretty well in other spelling bees, no idea why I hosed that word up so badly).

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

lots of hot takes about how oprah is neoliberalism or homeopathic or something by very wise politics knowers pretending a president oprah wouldn’t just sign literally anything the Dems put on her desk

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

lots of hot takes about how oprah is neoliberalism or homeopathic or something by very wise politics knowers pretending a president oprah wouldn’t just sign literally anything the Dems put on her desk

its even worse than i thought

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shut the gently caress up hamprince

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Normal brain: Oprah vs Trump general election.
Galaxy brain: Oprah vs Zuck primary.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

death to america insallah

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

maybe the reason that Oprah shouldn’t be president isn’t that she’d use her masterful command of legislative maneuvering to force through universal crystalcare

maybe it’s because it’s actually important that the president know something about politics

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

Wrap it up Oprailures.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
what

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

there shouldn't be presidents

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!