Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

It's locked so I can't bump it but Here's the prediction thread from last season to enjoy on the last day before the first gameday thread of 2018.

I did not predict that Iowa State would beat Oklahoma in 2017.

Oh thank you for reminding me I haven't made my prediction for this season yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

D.N. Nation posted:

The 2009 SECCG is the drunkest I've ever been watching a game.

2009 UGA/SCAR is the second. I sure can pick 'em.

2009 Big 12 title game for me. gently caress the Big 12.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bobby Digital posted:

2009 Big 12 title game for me. gently caress the Big 12.

That game ruled a TCU fan co-worker screamed at me so much while we watched it on the TV office that I thought he might hit me.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I saw Major Wright murder a man on the first play of the NCG live and that is my favorite football moment.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

I saw Major Wright murder a man on the first play of the NCG live and that is my favorite football moment.

He loving vaporized (majorized?) ‘im.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Thoguh posted:

It's locked so I can't bump it but Here's the prediction thread from last season to enjoy on the last day before the first gameday thread of 2018.

Well, let's see...

I posted:

On offense, QB Tanner Lee could be a capable game manager — hell, maybe he is a future 5th round draft pick — but who the fuuuuuck knows.

I was only off by one round!

I posted:

Worst case: Total disarray, 4-8, a new AD and a Scott Frost homecoming.

I am a god

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

He loving vaporized (majorized?) ‘im.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOZnLEGJaiU

:smugdog:

The 2009 defense had 11 pro bowlers and that is ridiculous.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

The reason no arrests are made so often in domestic abuse situations is that the victim drops the charges or won't cooperate, for whatever reason, but quite a bit is because the abuser, whether directly or through third party influence, gets them to drop it. Many abusers can be emotionally manipulative as well. In those cases the police have nothing to go except the initial report, thus not enough evidence to make an arrest on their own. This is why it's so sad so many OSU fans are hanging their hat on the fact that no arrests were made, shows how much most people just don't understand domestic abuse cases.

I think this is by far the worst take, and I can't for the life of me understand it. The absolution of the loving terrible work that the Powell police department did in this case is ridiculous. What Meyer did or didn't do stands on its own, but people are using him as some stand-in that would provide justice for Courtney Smith. No matter what Meyer did as a bystander, that makes the police 100x worse. The only people that could have provided true justice for her are them, and they failed miserably. The only reason that Meyer found out about it in the first place was because it was reported to police, who did a grand total of gently caress-all.

The juxtaposition of "ho hum the police's hands were tied" and "Meyer should have brought the hammer down" just makes me feel like :psyduck: into infinity. It's completely insane. You don't get to skewer Meyer without the justice system being even more culpable.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 24, 2018

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Xombie posted:

The juxtaposition of "ho hum the police's hands were tied" and "Meyer should have brought the hammer down" just makes me feel like :psyduck: into infinity. It's completely insane. You don't get to skewer Meyer without the justice system being even more culpable.

No one is asking Meyer to throw the guy in jail.

Hell at this point since he's obviously not going anywhere I'd settle for a real apology.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery

Grittybeard posted:

Hell at this point since he's obviously not going anywhere I'd settle for a real apology.

My entire point is that people are focusing entirely on Meyer and literally absolving the police of responsibility in a case of domestic violence that they literally ignored for years. The poster I replied to stated, verbatim "In those cases the police have nothing to go except the initial report, thus not enough evidence to make an arrest on their own". It's not just him, the media and everyone in Columbus is doing the same. That's absolutely insane. If he had been thrown in jail in the first place this never would have ever gotten to this point. Urban Meyer's culpability isn't pushed up the totem pole of justice just because you and I can put a name to his face. He's pretty far down on what would provide actual justice for Courtney Smith, or what would have prevented her from further abuse.

Losing sight of that is just a bad of an offense of putting football on a pedestal as the people who are victim blaming to save their team. The Powell police are by far the most culpable in this situation and no one is talking about it, and even people who hate Meyer for this are absolving them of guilt. It's insane. Even people talking about the amended report are only talking about it in the sense of "how does this affect Meyer".

It's like, "The police covered up a domestic violence case for years and did nothing to help the victim, but how does this affect some football coach?" What? Huh? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I got the Iowa record right but somehow did not predict them beating OSU 55-24, to my great shame

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

MourningView posted:

The Tressel thing was in hindsight bullshit and is a much better example of the NCAA being an awful institution with idiotic rules than it was of deep institutional corruption.

And yes we are aware that your point, in literally all situations and regardless of whether or not it's actually related to the topic at hand, is that Michigan is a paragon of virtue

Well you see. Michigan is like the Harvard of the Midwest. Except for northwestern but we don’t count them and....

(70 minutes later)

Thus, a Michigan man is an honorable man.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

MourningView posted:

I got the Iowa record right but somehow did not predict them beating OSU 55-24, to my great shame

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I am. Put him in the bin, Urban.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://statenews.com/article/2018/08/original-alumni-magazine-leaked

Spartys president John Engler is a poo poo sparty is a poo poo put 10 of the big 10's 12 teams directly into the bin

Northwestern and Iowa are ok

E: jesus loving christ

Detroit Free Press posted:

The Free Press also obtained other emails from Engler to his top adviser where Engler accused survivor Denhollander of likely getting kickbacks from the trial attorneys involved in lawsuits against the school. Denhollander has denied the accusation.

Engler was also involved in other instances where he has pushed for the university to pivot toward the future and away from the case that put Nassar behind bars for what amounts to the rest of his life.

In a recent meeting, according to sources, Engler walked in and told a team planning an event: "Get that teal poo poo out of here."

Engler's comments have sent a clear message, Denhollander said.

"Engler's attitude toward us survivors is a whole new set of problems. It's just compounding (the issues). It's why survivors aren't coming forward. They've seen what has been happening to the Nassar survivors

"They (Engler and the board) think it's all about money. They are too worried about liability, It's been like that since the start.".

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 24, 2018

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJExile posted:

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Thoguh posted:

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

Don't worry, national announcers will attribute half of Iowa's good plays to Iowa State.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think Indiana has done anything bad recently. They immediately fired Wilson for the abuse stuff (guess where he wound up!) and he was their best coach in god only knows how long. Fanbase deserves some demerits for continued worship of Bobby Knight but otherwise not bad.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

D.N. Nation posted:

The 2009 SECCG is the drunkest I've ever been watching a game.

2009 UGA/SCAR is the second. I sure can pick 'em.

I was so drunk during the rose bowl im surprised i made it out of California

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Thoguh posted:

Richrod proved everyone wrong and coached his way into keeping his job but then it was discovered he was a major sex pest and lost his job proving everyone right.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

Spartys president John Engler is a poo poo sparty is a poo poo put 10 of the big 10's 12 teams directly into the bin

He was brought into clean this mess up and keeps making it worse lol

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Henchman of Santa posted:

He was brought into clean this mess up and keeps making it worse lol

Didn't everyone say that he would do that when he was brought in?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Tulane-Wake Forest is probably going to be the most interesting game to watch next Thursday.

I could see either team winning but Wake Forrest having an o-line of 4 5th year seniors +1 4th year junior might be the key to the game.

However, Wake is starting a true freshman QB and Tulane's QB owns.

edit: speaking of Tulane, they had Justin McMillan from LSU announce he is transferring there today. Tulane needed a backup QB so this is good news. https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018/08/justin_mcmillan_tulane_lsu.html
It's a good thing LSU is too scared to play Tulane in men's sports or they wouldn't have allowed him to transfer there.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 24, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Regnevelc posted:

Didn't everyone say that he would do that when he was brought in?

He was definitely not well received

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

MourningView posted:

I don't think Indiana has done anything bad recently. They immediately fired Wilson for the abuse stuff (guess where he wound up!) and he was their best coach in god only knows how long. Fanbase deserves some demerits for continued worship of Bobby Knight but otherwise not bad.

During football season, the IU fan base is busy rooting for ND so IU gets chucked too.

Transitive property.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Tulane-Wake Forest is probably going to be the most interesting game to watch next Thursday.

I could see either team winning but Wake Forrest having an o-line of 4 5th year seniors +1 4th year junior might be the key to the game.

However, Wake is starting a true freshman QB and Tulane's QB owns.

edit: speaking of Tulane, they had Justin McMillan from LSU announce he is transferring there today. Tulane needed a backup QB so this is good news. https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018/08/justin_mcmillan_tulane_lsu.html
It's a good thing LSU is too scared to play Tulane in men's sports or they wouldn't have allowed him to transfer there.

Wake still has a hell of a defense that Mike Elko built up too

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
IF FOOTBALL RETURNED TONIGHT, WOULD YOU BE READY? THE DAY AND THE HOUR IS NEAR, JOIN TFF PICK EM NOW!!!

General Dog posted:

https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/college/register/joingroup

TFF Memorial Pick 'Em 201 (8)
Group ID# 3959
Password: urbzknew

I will re-post closer to the start of the season.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 24, 2018

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The guy making those allegations about A&M getting oppo dumped.
https://twitter.com/Ben_Baby/status/1033100501590659073
Look forward to meeting a large number of people who cannot understand two things simultaneously being bad.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

The guy making those allegations about A&M getting oppo dumped.
https://twitter.com/Ben_Baby/status/1033100501590659073
Look forward to meeting a large number of people who cannot understand two things simultaneously being bad.

Whistleblower Duck

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

DJExile posted:

Northwestern stonewalled their players trying to unionize

Iowa is cool

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DC Murderverse posted:

Northwestern stonewalled their players trying to unionize

Iowa is cool

Iowa is still employing the S&C coach who almost killed like 15 kids by working them to the point they got rhabdo a while back aren't they? If I remember right they gave him a huge raise too.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

well comcast subscribers won't lose out on the most immoral conference

https://twitter.com/BigTenNetwork/status/1033110518112940032

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Lmao Urban trying to walk it back even more:

https://twitter.com/finebaum/status/1033116338108211200?s=21

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Fluffdaddy posted:

Lmao Urban trying to walk it back even more:

gross

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Swing and a miss.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

6:01 pm EST on a friday.

Absolutely perfect

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Thoguh posted:

Oh look that's my thread thanks!

I was spot on with my expected outcome for VT and so wildly wrong about how bad the Vols could be.

Y'all need to post your poo poo in this years it's awful thin compared to last season.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

Iowa is still employing the S&C coach who almost killed like 15 kids by working them to the point they got rhabdo a while back aren't they? If I remember right they gave him a huge raise too.

Yeah

They seem to have revised the program a bit and dumped the workout that caused that, but the handling of it was shameful and Doyle should have been fired.

There was also a pretty ugly sexual assault case in like 2007 but Kirk did what he was supposed to do and kicked both players off the team right away, the investigation just got bungled above him

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
By Monday, Urban won't have remembered ever making a statement. His brain is riddled with forgetfulness, you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

He’s a loving idiot, my god

• Locked thread