Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

rotor posted:

i cant believe this went down on your permanent record

it's going to follow me all the way through high school :eek:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

rotor posted:

i cant believe this went down on your permanent record

Merits an entry on the rapsheet I’d say

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Armitag3 posted:

Merits an entry on the rapsheet I’d say

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i will never bow to the will of the masses

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

lord fifth posted:

lol my recruiter is "putting a note on my profile" that i reneged an offer and very sternly chastised me for taking opportunities away from others :allears:

i hope you are properly ashamed of yourself

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lmao

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

lord fifth posted:

it's going to follow me all the way through high school :eek:

i hope that we both make poasts here doesnt affect my job hunting

youre demerits ARE NOT MY DEMERITS
i STAND with cooter

Sincerely,
-CarForumPoster

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I've got loop interviews tomorrow for a position I'm probably a bit too excited about. It's the first time ever experiencing that interview format and I'm trying to be chill but also feeling some bone-deep anxiety.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i don’t know what loop interviews are

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

code:
while(true)
{
   Interview();
}

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

PIZZA.BAT posted:

the only instance of that phrase is lance talking about this opportunity so uh yeah I have no idea either

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
best of luck, OP. may your answers be bar raising and STAR-struck

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
amazon bs, yeah. the last day all-day thing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when i interviewed with amazon it was just regular tech interview stuff, except using STAR and occasionally mentioning the corporate values made everything easier because the right answers were more obvious.

lol I just looked it up and I'm mad that people are pretending that "loop interview" is a meaningful term. Apparently it just means "talk to several different people in succession." There's no actual looping, meaningful repetition, or iteration. You could also call Google, the place I worked before that, the place I worked before that, and every tech interview I've ever done a loop interview.

So yes I guess I did a loop interview at Amazon, and everyone in this thread has probably done many of them. loop. buzzword. etc.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

when i interviewed with amazon it was just regular tech interview stuff, except using STAR and occasionally mentioning the corporate values made everything easier because the right answers were more obvious.

lol I just looked it up and I'm mad that people are pretending that "loop interview" is a meaningful term. Apparently it just means "talk to several different people in succession." There's no actual looping, meaningful repetition, or iteration. You could also call Google, the place I worked before that, the place I worked before that, and every tech interview I've ever done a loop interview.

So yes I guess I did a loop interview at Amazon, and everyone in this thread has probably done many of them. loop. buzzword. etc.

you clearly dont understand serverless architecture

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

star?

more like Stuck Tucking At the Reunion

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

loop as "in the loop" not as topology

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

i interviewed at a place that called it a “blitz” interview and i had no idea what that meant, i assumed that was their term for “you talk to a bunch of people today”

i showed up and the receptionist leads me to a conference room with three or four other candidates who all looked similarly dumbfounded as i was

turns out that means they bring in everyone shortlisted for the position all at once and they do a “loop” speed dating style. you talked to an interviewer for an hour and then everyone rotates

the VP of engineering called me the next day to tell me she had an opening she thought was a better fit, and i politely turned her down because i was still mildly fuming from being herded like cattle the day prior

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Some loops only have a single iteration....or none at all. I'm loop interviewing right now apparently.

Good luck OP!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

in a well actually posted:

loop as "in the loop" not as topology

non topological loops are haram

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I applied to the place that laid me off lol

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

cheese eats mouse posted:

I applied to the place that laid me off lol

On purpose, or by accident as part of so many applications you lost track?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Akratic Method posted:

On purpose, or by accident as part of so many applications you lost track?

on purpose. the manager hiring started the day after my ejection. still know a ton of people there and knew this role was coming out cause of friends in upper levels

also starting to interview at many audiophiles’ favorite website

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

saw an opening at Shopify for a role that looked great on paper, but then i started reading about the company which aligns with some of the red flags i was seeing in the job description. "uncomfortable growth " "constant change" "chaos"

CEO sent out a memo to internal leaders a while back that every year you should requalify for your job being 40% better than last year

:whitewater:

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 17, 2024

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

KoRMaK posted:

saw an opening at Shopify for a role that looked great on paper, but then i started reading about the company which aligns with some of the red flags i was seeing in the job description. "uncomfortable growth " "constant change" "chaos"

CEO sent out a memo to internal leaders a while back that every year you should requalify for your job being 40% better than last year

yeah i looked at open positions there a while ago and just reading the career section on their website was enough to make me nope out of applying there

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

KoRMaK posted:

lmao im sure this is backed up by 40% raises every year right boss? boss???

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Corla Plankun posted:

lmao im sure this is backed up by 40% raises every year right boss? boss???

you sound like a bad cultural fit here, sorry to say

we want strivers not skivers

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

My contract is going to be up in October so I’ve been starting my job search to get ahead of that.
I typically use a skills resume which was helpful when I was fresh out of school, but now I have a good 7 years of experience under my belt, and have worked at a few companies.
Just curious, is there’s an ideal format for a resume for software development these days? I’ve been hearing stories of HR people just using AI to scan through resumes now and no human even looks at the things anymore.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Welp, despite feeling like I was a complete moron who completely bombed the domain knowledge interview, apparently I was still good enough in the 6 hour gauntlet of loop interviews to get an offer. I haven't seen the offer yet, as it's still being approved, but I know it exists because my manager called me in to a random meeting about it (he was sent an email saying that an offer for one of his employees was up for approval). The recruiter then confirmed that it was being processed.

So hopefully the offer is good. Either way, I'll be a full-fledged SDE (not a solution engineer making demos and POCs, not a consultant doing SDE work for clients when they need it) at a tech major. Somehow I'll have managed to pull off my 5-year career goal (and in only 6 years!)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you always feel like a moron if they gave a serious interview. be more alarmed when it feels breezy and easy, because that means they aren't taking you seriously

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you always feel like a moron if they gave a serious interview. be more alarmed when it feels breezy and easy, because that means they aren't taking you seriously

highly nervous about the technical interview i have next week for a "network engineer" position that doesn't have any network engineering information in the job details (but has a lot of computer hardware touching in it). the business is a managed service provider, which seems they just do contract IT for SMB so those businesses don't have to hire their own in-house IT folks. i'm probably blindly stepping into a nightmare job

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 22, 2024

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

all the offers ive gotten came after an interview where i felt super relaxed and had a nice conversational rapport with the interviewers and didn't care if I got the job or not lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the actual interview I had for my new job was super relaxed, though I was stress-vomiting concerned at home beforehand. which is pretty silly in retrospect because I had barely gotten home and parked after the interview before the manager called me to offer me the job

sometimes you just nail these things I guess

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the main thing to know is that _sometimes_ easy means they hate you and are softballing, _sometimes_ hard means they like you and are trying to find your limit. but sometimes you know the things they're asking because you're a good candidate, and sometimes you don't know things you should because you're not. and sometimes the interviewer themselves is screwing up one way or the other.

trying to develop hard and fast "this means that" in such fluid and context-dependent situations is unlikely to be a good use of time.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
in conclusion interviews are bullshit

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

in conclusion interviews are bullshit

yeah, just give me the loving job, i shouldn't have to talk to people to get it. pay me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Branch Nvidian posted:

yeah, just give me the loving job, i shouldn't have to talk to people to get it. pay me

or just pay me, idgaf about the job, you can interview someone else if thats what makes you happy