Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

qhat posted:

The ferengi are a fictional race which is entirely a parody of modern day capitalism

I mean, eventually. TNG really tried to make them into major villains and serious threats, since there was no real big “enemy” for TNG like the Klingons were for TOS. Once TNG introduced the Borg, though, Ferengis went down the road to goofy-town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Had a good phone screen last week for a junior spot at a big (old) tech firm. It was very basic, do fizzbuzz then containerize it and deploy it on a k8 cluster. The interviewer seemed pretty happy and even said he was looking forward to bringing me on board. But I haven’t heard anything back since then. He said that next steps would be their HR following up, and I’m wondering how long I should expect that process to take. The recruiter mentioned there would be at least one on-site so I know there’s still plenty of process to go. I’m just trying to keep myself from getting anxious that the holidays will cause things to get lost in the shuffle.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Kuvo posted:

man i loving hate whiteboard interview. was given this prompt today

1. write a new method that recieves an int array parameter
2. find the duplicate in the array and print them out ONLY ONCE using console
example:
input: 8, 3, 4, 5, 2, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 3, 6
output: 2, 3, 4

to which i answered...

code:
	    var groups = input.GroupBy(a => a).Where(a => a.Count() > 1).ToList();
            foreach(var g in groups)
            {
                Console.WriteLine(g.Key);
            }
which i thought was nice an elegant but i guess the interview wanted me to spend 20 mins doing it without linq yielding...

code:
 	    Array.Sort(input);
            bool printed = false;

for(int i = 1; i < input.Count(); i++)
            {  
                if(input[i] == input[i-1] && !printed)
                {
                	Console.WriteLine(input[i]);
                	printed = true;                
                }
                else
                {
			printed = false;
                }
            }
I get its an exercise to see my thought process but who does it like that? its makes me feel like an idiot to bumble though reinventing the wheel

The second version is the one they wanted? Weird. Also, it won’t work properly if there are more than 3 instances of a duplicated item. (Since it would mark printed as false from that else statement and then end meet the condition to print on the 4th instance.)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Progressive JPEG posted:

I’ve never had anything other than the main stock grant itself be subject to a vesting schedule

They vest the damned employer 401k contributions at my employer.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Back when I was doing tech support at Apple, the 2008 financial crisis hit and during an all-hands with some VP who had come into town reassured us by saying “look, we have enough cash on hand that we can have literally zero revenue for three years and still be able to pay for everything”. And sure enough, we rode everything out just fine.

I did the same math with my current employer’s cash reserves-vs-operating expenses and it looks like we could do exactly one year with absolutely zero revenue, which would probably feel more reassuring if I didn’t have that previous experience where the reserves were even better.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Amazon is basically flooding the DC area with open positions right now because of HQ2, and one of my coworkers (who is around the same skill level as I) even got hired for one recently. I'm trying to overcome my intense imposter syndrome and hit apply already. Though now that I just typed that, I realize that I would probably be in a better position if I contacted my former coworker first to see if she had a way to get my resume in the right hands (as my lack of a college degree tends to gently caress me in regards to getting through the auto-filters).

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Got a tech screen scheduled for Valentine's Day. Internal position a former teammate referred me to. I'm way too anxious about these kinds of things and my whole weekend will be a ball of stress now, but at least it's an excited kind of anxiety.

(That said, I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of competition. I saw the job posting basically the moment it went up. At that time, it had the little "less than 10 applicants have applied for this position" flag on it. Within a few hours that flag had disappeared.)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Just finished a tech screen. I think I did okay (at one point the interviewer even said "yeah that's the answer I was looking for"). There were two questions, the first building off of the second. The only unexpected thing was that after each question, the interviewer also asked me what the time & space complexity of my solution. I don't know that I got that exactly right, but I'm pretty sure I was close enough.

Now I'm gonna take all this extra adrenaline, hit the gym, and deadlift the pain away.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

It's been over two weeks since my tech screen and I haven't heard anything. Granted, I did sign up for a screening basically at the earliest window they had available (I believe the latest day they had available was yesterday) so maybe they're just processing everyone else before starting the next round. It's been so long since I've done any of this so I'm not sure if I should try and check in with the recruiter or just if I just need to wait for whatever news is coming.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hrm... I did finally email the recruiter to follow up, and haven't heard back. But I did get an email this morning titled "How was your <company> recruiting experience?" and a link to a survey. I'm guessing that means they went with someone else.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Well, I'm glad I followed up with HR after all. Apparently I did get good feedback from the tech screen, but the feedback got lost in the new interview scheduling system. So they're moving me forward and I'll be doing loop interviews sometime next week. So now I get to enjoy the brief swing from "bummed out that it failed" to "excited that there's still a chance" before several days of "anxious about how I'll do in the loops".

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I've got loop interviews tomorrow for a position I'm probably a bit too excited about. It's the first time ever experiencing that interview format and I'm trying to be chill but also feeling some bone-deep anxiety.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Welp, despite feeling like I was a complete moron who completely bombed the domain knowledge interview, apparently I was still good enough in the 6 hour gauntlet of loop interviews to get an offer. I haven't seen the offer yet, as it's still being approved, but I know it exists because my manager called me in to a random meeting about it (he was sent an email saying that an offer for one of his employees was up for approval). The recruiter then confirmed that it was being processed.

So hopefully the offer is good. Either way, I'll be a full-fledged SDE (not a solution engineer making demos and POCs, not a consultant doing SDE work for clients when they need it) at a tech major. Somehow I'll have managed to pull off my 5-year career goal (and in only 6 years!)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Just accepted the offer for my new role. Really excited to be doing actual development full time now. Since it's an internal transfer, now I get to sit back as new manager and current manager figure out the details for when I'll be able to move over.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

this is how you end up with an agreement that you will stay on your old projects ‘20%’ for ‘six months’ to ‘help with the transition’. make sure you close old your old poo poo aggressively.

This was a good call, btw. Talked more with my current manager today and we got a more specific date lined up (in just under 4 weeks, so I can close out the project I'm currently on). We also had a bit of an exit interview, where I got to explain that the EVP specifically calling out our division as "not the future of the business" during the last big all-hands call did make me more inclined to look for opportunities elsewhere.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Waiting until my official start date to change my job title on LinkedIn. Looking forward to the recruiter spam that will hit me then.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Quackles posted:

You don't hibernate your LI account when you get a job?

I don't really keep it super-active, but it's not really hibernated. Most of my activity is just adding certifications when I get them (and, of course, updating my job info when I land a new job).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

My new team is 100% WFH, but does seem to have a "cameras on during standup/team meetings" culture. Fortunately that doesn't extend to larger org meetings, except for whoever is speaking. I did get randomly called on to speak (just as a "you're new here, introduce yourself") during one of the larger org meetings last week, and fortunately I was paying enough attention and was camera-ready at the time. After I did my intro, though, I think my manager realized their faux pas and apologized on Slack for putting me on the spot.