Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

pointsofdata posted:

open an office here and take advantage of that cheap offshore labour without the language barrier

But the spelling barrier...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

cis autodrag posted:

The trick here is only the true believers work that much and the rest of us lied in our time logs.

Which brings up a good point -- don't work anywhere you're expected to keep a time log.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

qhat posted:

Cynicism is a great substitute for experience

Experience is knowledge plus cynicism.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

7% state + 4% city

... why do people live in New York?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

jony neuemonic posted:

if you like big cities

Ah, yes, that's right. I forgot some humans enjoy living in hives.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

why would you want to live anywhere else? 🤔

Lower taxes, fewer people, nicer people, less noise, better housing...

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

qhat posted:

I've more or less decided that if I don't get a huge pay rise this summer, I'm going to fire resumes out like no tomorrow.

That place sounds lovely. Why bother waiting? Send resumes now.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

HoboMan posted:

what's a good bs answer for "what does your dream job look like?", all my dreams are long dead

This translates to, "please reiterate the least poo poo parts of this job's description, in your own words, and in a tone that indicates interest."

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Gazpacho posted:

because i cling to idealistic notion of team loyalty

gently caress that. Run away screaming.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

qhat posted:

I did an interview with Microsoft a year ago, they gave me the exact same problem that I solved right before I went to bed the previous night. Needless to say, I still didn't get the job as there was someone else whose skills better fit the role, according to the recruiter.

You failed a phone screen on a problem that you had already solved?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you don't want to get into a c# shop. c#, the technology, is pretty awesome. c#, the community, is a shitshow.

the problem is that c# is inextricably tied to microsoft windows. every c# shop is a windows shop. every windows shop is owned by someone stupid enough to bet his business on microsoft loving windows

can you imagine how loving idiotic your bosses are if they bet their loving livelihood on windows? titanically stupid. monumentally stupid. so stupid, it beggars belief

and, following from that:
  • A players hire B players.

• B players hire Cs.

• What do the C players hire?

Windows guys.

don't be a windows guy. it's not worth it. no matter how cool the latest shiny C# thing is, it is never worth working with windows guys
The best part of these rants of yours is that your worldview can't conceive of software development jobs that aren't webdev. But even limiting oneself to webdev, your opinion that c# requires Windows is quite dated.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

The c# authoring experience is better in Windows, but c# runs everywhere.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Which is not to say that the c# authoring experience on non-Windows is bad. VS for Mac is good and getting better as VS features like the editor are ported to VS for Mac, and VS Code is not too shabby.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Progressive JPEG posted:

brb debugging why mono doesn't do the same thing as the sole supported c# platform
Don't use mono. Use .net core.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Progressive JPEG posted:

brb checking a big ol table to see if this standard library function is in my standard library

Sounds awful. You should stop using Java.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Local variables should be camelCased. Method names should be PascalCased. If you've been writing C# for five years this should not be news.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Munkeymon posted:

use the v7 native tuple syntax because if they don't recognize that you don't want to work with them
Even better -- don't use tuples.

Arcsech posted:

welp, just sent off my resume for what is basically my dream job

wish me luck dealing with the disappointment when i don't get it

(joking aside, I legit feel like they'll probably want someone more experienced than me, but if I don't try I definitely won't get it so hey, what the hell)
You still have dreams. You clearly lack the requisite experience.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Based on previous comments your current place sounded awful. Why stay?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Janitor Prime posted:

After a year at Amazon I wasn't happy

Typical.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

cis autodrag posted:

That would be the most toxic working environment ever

Disproof by counterexample: Google.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

HoboMan posted:

asked for a signing bonus to offset losing my retention bonus, was told that was a deal breaker. got an email from thier automated system that i was not a good fit, welp

Congrats on dodging that bullet.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Basic string manipulation is entirely relevant to ETL. The nebulous "graph problem" may or may not be relevant to ETL.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

based on the google phone screens I passed the trick is to do it in c++.

The best trick is to not work for google.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

TimWinter posted:

As someone who has tried to get an interviewee to take the one additional step to turn arbitrary python functions into an executable script, this is infuriatingly hard to communicate.

Unfortunately, it's also really telling when someone is familiar with the steps you have to take to turn arbitrary python into something you can run/use. It's definitely "like me" bias at play, but I assumed it was easy and it took a lot of experience to be able to do it and a lot more experience to do it well at all.

No, this question tells you nothing of import about a candidate.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Gazpacho posted:

describe a difficult work situation in their experience and how they dealt with it

No don't.

Gazpacho posted:

The purpose isnt to find heroes, it’s to find out what the candidate considers a challenge and what they do about it. eg given a technical challenge do they brush it off or sit on their thumb until the due date or work constructively

"Describe a difficult work situation" is too vague to be of any use in a technical interview. If you want to find out about a difficult technical challenge, ask about that.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Gazpacho posted:

the purpose isn't exclusively to find out about technical challenges, though. it's to find out about challenges of whatever sort occurs to the candidate to talk about

This is a half-step removed from asking "what's your greatest weakness."

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

TimWinter posted:

"tell me about a time where X happened, how did you deal with that" where X is some no-win scenario like literally impossible deadlines or strong personalities on the team.

"Tell me about a time when you had conflict with a team member" translates to "the team you'll be joining contains at least one, but more likely two loudmouth assholes that no one can stand."

"Tell me about a time when you had an impossible deadline" translates to "this organization is in perpetual disarray and you'll be joining a team that's so far underwater your commute will involve scuba gear."

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tbf that is every team and every organization

Nah, just the ones that are hiring.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Arcsech posted:

a devops job that doesn’t blow chunks

Good luck with that.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

qhat posted:

At what point is it okay to reapply to a big name company like MS? I done an interview last year April but got passed over at the final round for another candidate. Only trouble is the office here doesn't have a lot of openings for my specialities, mostly AR stuff.

Apply to anything that seems like a good fit. They'll give zero fucks about what some other team decided.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

ADINSX posted:

As for how beefy the servers are, not that beefy by those standards. Ram on the order of dozens of gigabytes, no idea about the number of cores.

So not beefy at all, then.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Rex-Goliath posted:

what's your opinion on remote work if you're in consulting?

It's easier to look for a better job when you're in that situation, I suppose.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

California's rules for gas blending are insane.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

quote:

• We do not allow the purchase of any Windows machines. Windows makes it harder to work with git and ruby from the command line, and Windows has too many security risks associated with it.
  • We strongly encourage Macs, but for Developers and Production Engineers only we do allow Linux. Note that 1Password does not yet have a native client for Linux, but there is a beta Chrome extension.

This company is hilarious. "We have chosen to cede the entire Windows developer market to GitHub and Microsoft."

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Translation: Do not ever work for this company or use their products.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

raminasi posted:

is gitlab the one that accidentally blew away a bunch of customer repos once?

Postmortem of database outage of January 31, 2017

People use this poo poo?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

dragon enthusiast posted:

idk if not having to deal with all the bullshit of my current job is going to offset the ~7% loss of figgies

Just how bad is this bullshit? Like, so intolerably bad that it's literally making you suicidal?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Agreed. There are some situations that are entirely intolerable. (mlmp)

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Just tell the truth. Something like, "It doesn't matter where I live because I don't go outside."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Yes, surprisingly so.